Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fox defamation trial delayed, network pursues settlement talks

edited April 2023 in Off-Topic
Admittedly I want it to go to trial in the worst way so that all these lying gumba's have to testify in court. What they all said and did needs to be challenged, verified and proven and not hidden behind the wall of "Hey, it was just my opinion. I mean who believes that."

Reuters:

Roast em Dominion

Should Fox be found guilty I hope the settlement includes a retraction written by Dominion that must be read by every host every hour for a week along with a continuous rolling chyron 24/7/365.

I don't watch Fox ( I can't justifiably call them 'news') but I have seen them from time to time. I just think for those viewers who do watch for the 'news' will actually know the news. Maybe Dominion should demand a name change for them to Fox Circus Showtime too.

Comments

• edited April 2023
    @Mark, Love your idea!
    Fox News supposes to have deep pocket, and they can pay Dominion in full. What Fox wants is to negotiate to a lesser amount while without admitting their guilt to the public. Otherwise, this will hurt their image and viewership!

Next ligation is Smartmatic Electronics who also makes voting machines, and they are seeking $2.7 billions in damages. If Dominion case wins, Fox got another case on their hands.
  • Fully agree, Mark. I want everything in the open and to be in full view of FOX viewers for a proper 'face slap'.
  • FOX news reached settlement before court hearing starts.
    The parties settled for $787,500,000 — about half of Dominion's original $1.6 billion ask.
    https://npr.org/2023/04/18/1170339114/fox-news-settles-blockbuster-defamation-lawsuit-with-dominion-voting-systems
  • While news of this settlement was mentioned on Fox News yesterday, it was not mentioned at all in prime time by their three main anchors - or so I read. I must be a terrible Republican. I can’t stand Trump and can’t stand Fox News, especially Hannity and Carlson.
  • edited April 2023
    I must be a terrible Republican. I can’t stand Trump and can’t stand Fox News, especially Hannity and Carlson.
    @Junkster, in my eyes that makes you a conscientious, self-thinking American. These people aren't the Republican party my father supported. They are Republican in name only, to turn a phrase.
  • Hey there @Junkster- I have no problems with your type of Republican. Back in the day your guys in Congress could sit down with our guys over a bottle of some decent bourbon and settle a compromise most could live with. Now even the word "compromise" is pure poison.
  • You can't spell compromising without the word "poison" !
  • edited April 2023
    Thought Joe Scarborough’s comments is appropriate.
    MSNBC's Joe Scarborough said the network could be "destroyed" for following Donald Trump's orders.

The conservative network issued a statement defending the parade of lies it broadcast about Dominion and Smartmatic, which is seeking $2.7 billion in a case that will likely go to trial in 2025, by insisting that broadcasting false claims about Trump's election loss were newsworthy because they had been made by the former president and his allies, but the "Morning Joe" host said the suits could do real damage.
    https://msn.com/en-us/money/companies/bankrupt-disbarred-destroyed-morning-joe-predicts-fox-news-will-suffer-same-fate-as-all-trump-allies/ar-AA1a5NES?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=2f545ca36d1a4e909f7ae8072facfaf3&ei=69

The gift that keep on giving…. The FOX company is now facing a shareholder lawsuits. There is always a price to be paid for these lies.

• There is always a price to be paid for these lies.
    True, but to bad it took so long. Goes all the way back to the Rush Limbaugh days in the late '80s. A lot of lie-induced separation in this country since then.
  • It appears Dominion will get punished by the IRS while Fox will get rewarded. (Kinda)
    Fox News' Dominion Settlement Will Save the Company Millions in Taxes
    Tax experts told The Lever legal costs can be considered "ordinary and necessary" business expenses by the IRS, allowing the company to make income tax deductions. Speaking to the outlet Brian Nick, chief communications officer of the Fox Corporation, said: "I can confirm tax deductibility but not the amount."
    Fox News settlement turns Dominion into private equity gold
    By the numbers: Denver-based Dominion will be required to pay taxes on its windfall, plus give a hearty portion to attorneys. But this is still a massive amount of cash for a company of its size.
  • Some NPR analysis I've heard recently also interprets the settlement as a cost of doing business and that little will change at the network as a result. Fox has a particular brand, and it would be hard to change that brand, despite lawsuits like this one.
  • And today Carlson left (was let go?) from Fox. I'll let you google your own favorite news source.
  • Today Carlson left (was let go?) from was fired by Fox.
  • Old_Joe said:

Today Carlson left (was let go?) from was fired by Fox.

Great day all around. I couldn’t stand Carlson and wouldn’t let my Trump loving girlfriend air Fox News when I was around, On the left side of the coin, CNN fired Don Lemon. Disliked him as much as Carlson.

• edited April 2023
    +1 !
  • edited April 2023
    Carlson will land in Newmax, just like horseflies attract to cow dung.
  • Apparently Murdoch is quite fond of firing his headliners, for whatever that may say about the company. My wife could never understand why I disliked Lemon, who I found to be quite incomprehensible.
  • Howdy folks,

Well, Tucker cost his boss 3/4 billion dollars, and more pending, bad mouthed his bosses, and was toxic in the workplace . . . geez, do the math. He'll land on Newsmax or Oan. feh. I can see where he was an asshole to work with. Oh well.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono