Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Do you track things after you sell them? Why?

edited June 2023 in Other Investing
Sure way to drive yourself nuts when they keep going up.

”Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda”

Comments

• Who doesn’t?
  • Yes, due no doubt to masochistic tendencies. Then I try to learn something from the exercise.
  • I do for positions which I think I want to be invested in long term.

I don't for positions I speculatively 'trade'.
  • sfnative said:

Yes, due no doubt to masochistic tendencies. Then I try to learn something from the exercise.

I used to for that very reason - both good/bad. Now, I nearly always don't ... that way I'm not second-guessing myself and/or getting overly attached to a position.

• Not for very long !
  • On the other hand it’s common for die hard BOGLEHEADS to claim they only look at their 3 fund portfolios once a year. Yeah,,,, I bet!
  • I used to but now that I've finally made up my mind to only index on the equity side (only took 20+ years lol) when it's gone it's gone. Anything sold now goes right into the index.... done.
  • I keep a LONG Watchlist (M*, Yahoo Finance) of past, current and potential future holdings. Rarely I delete some that I never plan to go back to. It also serves as my list for daily quotes.
  • edited June 2023
    Thanks for all the thoughts. Cuts both ways for me. When something I’ve sold (typically a stock) soars another 50% or so in a few months I feel like an idiot. On the other hand, yesterday I picked up something previously owned that had been beaten up the past couple months and so bought it again at a better price. Having tracked it was useful.

One thing I’ve found is that for really speculative plays a small investment is enough. So the perceived “loss” from having sold early, while stunning sometimes, may be relatively small in dollar terms.
  • Although the context in which I heard the following comment was not investing, it seem apt here: It’s OK to look back at the past, but don’t stare. I find it a helpful maxim to apply when I experience intense regret.
  • gman57 said:

I used to but now that I've finally made up my mind to only index on the equity side (only took 20+ years lol) when it's gone it's gone. Anything sold now goes right into the index.... done.

Smart. This is the direction I'm heading, too, however tentatively. Bond holdings excepted.
  • BenWP said:

Although the context in which I heard the following comment was not investing, it seem apt here: It’s OK to look back at the past, but don’t stare. I find it a helpful maxim to apply when I experience intense regret.

Now THAT is a great observation.
    I do look back to see..... Because "I gots to know."
  • I had them in a portfolio at M* that I just got tired of taking care of. I didn't need it to remind me of moves I have regretted.

Two funds that I have owned in the past are now on my watch list for the condensed IRA. They are NICSX and NBGNX. Not saying it's a done deal.

Succession plans for smaller fund companies are always something I think about. I'm really glad I bailed on HSCSX after Mark Ashton retired.
  • Wow! @Crash: Eastwood without wrinkles and crags, almost unrecognizable.
  • Seller remorse is common in investing, especially in volatile time periods. I typically sell in multiple lots over several months so to minimize the regret that comes later. One thing I am cognizant of is not to chase hot funds at that moment and get whip saw as the monument changes direction.

It is equally important to remind yourself the appropriate investment decisions you made that resulted in good returns.