Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Record Outflows from TIPS ETFs

edited July 2023 in Fund Discussions
There were substantial TIPS ETF inflows from May 2020 through December 2021.
Like many other bond funds, moderate and high duration TIPS ETFs experienced large declines in 2022.
For example, 2022 returns for TIP, SCHP, and LTPZ were -12.24%, -12.02%, and -31.68% respectively.
It's not surprising that investors were disappointed with TIPS performance last year when inflation was high.

"Nearly $17 billion has exited from Treasury-inflation securities ETFs over 10 consecutive months of outflows, an unprecedented streak in data going back to 2016, Bloomberg Intelligence data show."

"That rush to the exits follows a bruising stretch of underperformance for the asset designed to protect against inflation. While TIPS weather against price erosion, real yields — which strip out the impact of inflation — have soared over the past year, shredding returns even as price pressures remain stubbornly high. That’s soured the appetite of investors who piled into TIP and similar ETFs to curb inflation."

"The distaste for TIPS-tracking ETFs contrasts with reignited demand for the securities in the primary market. Investors snatched up about 96% of the $19 billion in Treasury Inflation Protected Securities auctioned last week, leaving less than 4% to firms authorized as primary dealers."

Link
(Bloomberg subscription may be required)

Comments

• I'm ready to pull the trigger, myself. Just bad timing on my part. And I'm learning that I don't like the way ETFs work, as opposed to OEFs. SCHP.
  • Isn't the money in those funds to be made when rates stabilize, or fall?

If you're already in one, aren't you adding more new cheap shares every month?
  • edited July 2023
    TIPS should perform well during periods where inflation is higher than expected.
    Breakeven rates can be used to compare TIPS to nominal Treasuries of the same term.

There was a 5-year TIPS auction on 06/22/2023.
    From David Enna on Tipswatch.com:
    "At the auction’s close at 1 p.m. EDT, a 5-year Treasury note was trading with a nominal yield of 4.03%,
    creating an inflation breakeven rate of 2.2% for this TIPS.
    That is the lowest auctioned breakeven rate for this term since an auction in December 2020.
    Although 2.2% is a relatively 'highish' breakeven rate by historical standards,
    it seems quite reasonable at a time when U.S. inflation is running at 4.0%.
    In indicates that this TIPS is cheaply priced versus the nominal Treasury of the same term."

• Yes, that is my understanding too, @WABAC. People scurrying away after they lost in 2022 while all bond funds lost money with rising rates is likely a good sign for the future of TIPS. I have small holdings in a short and long TIP ETF. Money-wise I'm about even with where I bought a few months ago. The financial environment for TIPS is probably better today than when I bought so I'm holding... but I've been wrong before:).
  • I think that any discussion of the worth of an investment in TIPS should clearly distinguish between TIPS fundsETFs and a TIPS bond. Big difference.
  • Hold individual TIPS to maturity to keep up with inflation. Try 5-yr TIPS.
    With TIPS funds, duration causes complications.
  • edited July 2023
    Oh s*** / I was just getting ready to follow the herd in. You mean it’s time to turn and run the other way already? Never was good at timing …
  • edited July 2023
    larryB said:

I think that any discussion of the worth of an investment in TIPS should clearly distinguish between TIPS funds, ETFs and a TIPS bond. Big difference.

You are absolutely correct.
    I should have done this in my prior post.
  • edited July 2023

Hold individual TIPS to maturity to keep up with inflation. Try 5-yr TIPS.
    [snip]

I recently purchased individual TIPS for the first time.
    Bought a sizable amount (for me) of the 5-year TIPS at the latest auction.
    Plan to hold these TIPS (1.832% real yield) to maturity for inflation protection.
  • edited October 2023
    5-yr TIPS Auction is next week on 10/19/23 and est 2.46% + inflation may be good for some. Obviously, that is for 5-yr hold. That compares favorably with 5-yr nominal at 4.69%. TIPS held to maturity behave quite differently than TIPS funds.

https://treasurydirect.gov/instit/annceresult/press/preanre/2023/A_20231012_5.pdf

Edit/Add. 5-yr TIPS, 10/19/23. 2.44% (real) YTM (2 3/8% coupon). So, 2.44% + inflation.
    treasurydirect.gov/instit/annceresult/press/preanre/2023/R_20231019_3.pdf
  • edited October 2023
    As I’ve stated before, I don’t do TIPS (except to the waitress or cab driver).

An individual TIPS bond is one thing. Not too hard to fathom. Makes sense for someone to buy and hold one having a set maturity (only if meets their needs). But throw those vehicles into a fund with constant investor inflows and outflows and varied maturities … sounds like a very “unhinged” investment with a highly unpredictable outcome. Suspect, however, that once TIPS funds recover and begin posting some attractive 7-10% annual returns (prediction) the unwary will once more pile in thinking again they’ve landed on Easy Street.
  • I have not lost any money since March on VTIP but have never been able to really understand TIPS ETFs.

A better idea may be the new fixed maturity TIPS etfs with bonds that all mature the same year. We will see

https://www.etf.com/sections/features/case-blackrocks-new-defined-maturity-tips-etfs
  • I still hold VTIP bought earlier this year. It hasn't returned anything for me, yet. These outflows may be a good sign moving forward. Like sma3, I can also say I really don't understand them. Only that when rates stabilize and/or start to come down they should do quite well.
  • A real yield of ~2.39% for 5-yr TIPS presents a good opportunity
    for those seeking protection from "unexpected" inflation.
    I would be a buyer if I hadn't purchased 5-yr TIPS earlier this year.