Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

INTERESTING WAY TO RUN A BUSINESS

edited July 2023 in Other Investing
Back in the glory days when most cities had at least a couple of large and healthy newspapers, the San Francisco Chronicle was actually a fairly decent operation. Today, it's simply a pathetic shadow of itself.

For many years the Chronicle had a number of good columnists: Herb Cain was probably the best known, but there were two or three others as well. A fellow named Art Hoppe was one of those, and always fun to read. His son, Nick Hoppe, is a successful businessman, not a columnist, but he certainly inherited his father's perspective on life in general. He writes an occasional "column" on the internet, and as a recent one is something of a commentary on business as we now know it, I thought that it was worthy of mention here on MFO.
I'm so out of touch. I've been running a business for 45 years and it's actually been profitable. What an idiot.

If I had any brains at all, I would have come up with an idea, raised billions of dollars from investors, and then proceeded to lose money every year, thereby increasing the value tenfold.

More than 40% of the companies in the S&P 500 lost money in the past year. And these are just the public companies with shares sold on the stock exchange. Imagine how many private tech companies, most funded by venture capital firms, are losing money.

It's mind-boggling how they operate. My daughter-in-law worked for one of those private startup tech companies. They found their niche in the CAP Table Management software market, which basically means they'll value your business and tell you who owns what percentage.

Apparently, that's more complicated than it seems. The founders raised $1.2 billion in 2012 and it's now valued at $8.5 billion. They have over 1500 employees and have never been profitable, losing millions and millions every year for 13 years.

They certainly don't seem to care. Like most tech companies, their employee benefits are off the charts. When my daughter-in-law had her first child not long ago, she was given a six-month paid maternity leave. That's par for the course when it comes to the tech industry, but what really blew me away was when she returned to work.

"YOU GOT A 30% RAISE??!!" I remember squealing when she told me it took her by surprise. "YOU WEREN'T EVEN THERE!!"

"Yep, I was shocked," she replied. "Very nice of them."

Six months later, 15% of the employees got laid off in a cost-cutting move. Nothing made sense.

But that's the way it goes in this new startup world. These aren't the businesses I grew up watching, nor are they the businesses I run now. We take excellent care of our employees, but we also like to remain profitable. There's a balance in there somewhere.

The list of deadbeat companies is endless. Uber lost $7.2 billion in 2022, Lyft lost $1.6 billion, Peloton $1.2 billion, WeWork $1.7 billion, Rivian Automotive (Tesla imitator) $6.2 billion. But work at any of those companies and you'll probably get a raise during your maternity or paternity leave.

Enjoy it, because you're likely to get laid off at some point. No company can endure these losses forever. Between January and May of this year, over 200,000 employees in the tech sector were laid off. Perhaps companies are realizing that the objective is to be profitable.

They certainly understand that concept at Google and Facebook. Google laid off 12,000 employees in the last 12 months and Facebook laid off 21,000. Maybe that's why Google had net income of $60 billion in that period and Facebook had net income of $23 billion.

Then there's DoorDash. The food delivery service based in San Francisco lost $468 million in 2021 and a whopping $1.3 billion in 2022. It doesn't take a genius to see it's going in the wrong direction. Someone must have noticed, because DoorDash laid off 1250 employees in November of 2022 in an effort to rein in costs.

The only problem is that the severance package included paying the employees for 13 weeks after parting ways, along with a lump sum of one month's salary. I don't want to sound insensitive, but NO WONDER THEY'RE LOSING MONEY!

To make matters worse, I was absent-mindedly scanning the job postings in Sunday's San Francisco Chronicle last weekend and up pops DoorDash. The ad said they were looking for "Engineers, including but not limited to: Software, DevOps, Backend, Data. Positions include: Junior, Senior & Management Positions. Telecommuting permitted."

I wouldn't be too thrilled if I was one of the 1250 that were laid off. And it wouldn't help to see that the positions advertised would pay between $176,000 to $238,000. What is going on here?

It's all so foreign to me. Investors keep pumping in the money, unconcerned that the losses keep piling up. They keep seeing that light at the end of the tunnel, maybe years or decades ahead. They note that Apple, Google and Facebook all lost money in their early years. But Apple became profitable in two years, Google three years, and Facebook five years. DoorDash has been around for over 10 years.

In other words, if these companies keep running their business with no concern for costs, that light at the end of the tunnel, as they say, might very well be an oncoming freight train.

Comments

• Cheap money buys a lot of silly.

Stanton Delaplane and Charles McCabe deserve a mention as long as we're on memory lane.:)
  • Absolutely. If I remember correctly it was Delaplane who referred to blood-pressure machines as "the Judas cuff". I've been fighting high BP for quite a while now, and think of that every time I take a reading. My doctor is only mildly amused.
  • I read every columnist mentioned here when I was a kid. I'm not sure why they appealed; topically they were rather adult in nature. I became an English major and have to think it had something to do with their facility with language. My father still gets the Chronicle and when I picked one up recently in the driveway it felt about as substantial as an old comic book. Anyway, I think I have to agree with Hoppe here, there is an awful lot of money circulating around in the Bay Area and it doesn't seem to be producing all that much. Chances are excellent I don't know what I'm talking about.
  • "Chances are excellent I don't know what I'm talking about."

@sfnative- I really can't agree with that. The chances are excellent that you are absolutely right.

"I read every columnist mentioned here when I was a kid. I'm not sure why they appealed; topically they were rather adult in nature. I... have to think it had something to do with their facility with language."

Same here, although I sure liked comic books too. I give major credit to my reading as a kid to my reasonable degree of success through life.

• In other Bay Area news, Sapporo is closing the door on Anchor brewing.
  • Yes, very sad. In 1970 I happened to be introduced to Fritz Maytag- a very nice fellow. I figured Anchor was a goner when bought by Sapporo. Sure not much left of the SF that I grew up in.
  • Anchor Steam Beer was my salvation at Berkeley.
  • I thought The Chronicle was a good paper when I subscribed to it during the ‘87-88 academic year when we lived in Berkeley. Sorry to hear of its decline. We had a great range of papers when we lived in Chicago in the late 60’s. I fear that they have disappeared or no longer resemble what they used to be. FWIIW, I am unlikely to renew my electronic subscription to the WaPo as it has become a far less “serious” newspaper, save for an occasional important investigative piece and for a couple of the columnists. I’m also old and opinionated, as if it didn’t show.
  • edited July 2023
    I have stayed in Cleveland (major paper The Plain Dealer), Palo Alto (major Bay area paper San Francisco Chronicle/Hearst) and now Chicago (major paper Chicago Tribune; the list of its famous owners and/or editors would be too long to be included here).

Whatever was left of Chicago Tribune was destroyed by Sam Zell (whose passing was noted here) and private-equity owners that followed. In the Zell era, the directive to the staff at Chicago Tribune was just don't start talking like the boss because you will get fired if you did (but who could fire Sam other than Sam himself?).

Anyway, lots of newspapers, TV stations and media are part of big corporations or playpens of billionaires. They are just line items in the big budgets of corporations.

It a sad state of affairs.

Frankly, the discussion sites like this haven't been immune to hard times. Many sites have shutdown, gone private or become subscriptions-based; the new fashion now seems to be Facebook, Threads, Twitter, etc. As a free and open-access discussion site, the MFO is now among a few standouts. Most posters know that I came here only in late-2020.
  • Isn't Sapporo just trying to bust the union at anchor? Dang, that's some good beer...say it ain't so....
  • The Sporting Green was really something!
  • @larryB, just a distant impression, but I think the Chomicle still puts a lot into sports coverage. The poor old Post Dispatch does the same in St, Louis. Keeps the barbarians from Gannet outside the gates for a while longer.
  • Isn't Sapporo just trying to bust the union at anchor? Dang, that's some good beer...say it ain't so....

Sixtyone employees per the story I saw at Yahoo. Doesn't seem like a deal breaker.

• The NY Times is closing its sports department and will offer The Athletic, an online sports “page.”
    As the Brits say, there will be “redundancies,” amounting to at least 35 journalists. I don’t know if my subscription to the Times will continue with free access to The Athletic or if there will be an additional charge.

Oh for the days of yore when the Gray Lady had the MLB box scores for all the games played the previous day, complete standings every day for all teams, stats on leaders in the various categories of hitting and pitching, etc. IIRC, the Sunday sports page was a veritable treasure trove of the stuff real fans love. I’m sure today’s fans and all their confusing statistical acronyms (something above replacement) used in place of just plain old numbers are just as obsessed as we old timers; it just don’t seem the same any more. Routine fly balls in the old days now are home runs that prompt a sound and light display in what pass for stadiums. Color me dejected.