Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

House GOP Plans to Hold UFO Hearing

edited July 2023 in Off-Topic
Politico: https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/13/house-gop-ufo-hearing-00106188

Color me ”skeptical”

Holy S***! - Something just just landed in my front yard … and 5 little green men are disembarking …

:)

Comments

• aliens to start a new fund , UFOXX !
  • If they pour a lot of research funding into it like they did with weapons of mass destruction, MFO could send in a proposal like "Studies of the Influence of Alien Presence on the Variations Seen in Market Indicators" or "Alien Sighting Induction of Onset of Exuberance Investing". Then Charles could tell AI to generate a successful report at the end of the funded period. The report could be titled "Effects of the Influx of Research Funding on the Joint Wealth of para-Alien MFO members.
  • Perhaps more useful might be "Studies of the Influence of Alien Presence on the Variations Seen in the Republican Party since the election of Donald Trump".

The takeover of certain Republican bodies by aliens might reveal the real reasons for the conduct of quite a few- Trump, DeSantis, Kevin McCarthy, Margery Taylor Greene, Lauren Bobert, Chip Roy, Jim Jordan, come easily to mind.
  • Well done, @Anna
  • giggle. I lived in Roswell for a stretch. Never set foot in the alien museum.
  • edited July 2023
    Anna said:

If they pour a lot of research funding into it like they did with weapons of mass destruction, MFO could send in a proposal like "Studies of the Influence of Alien Presence on the Variations Seen in Market Indicators" or "Alien Sighting Induction of Onset of Exuberance Investing". Then Charles could tell AI to generate a successful report at the end of the funded period. The report could be titled "Effects of the Influx of Research Funding on the Joint Wealth of para-Alien MFO members.

Keeping with the investment theme … these aliens should qualify as “short sellers.”
    (and probably ”negative” on Planet Earth)

Immigration Policy? - We’ll extend open-arms to these little green guys (while excluding many from areas much nearer).

Spot on @Old_Joe / Ted Cruz always appears ”other worldly” to me.

@Derf - I think I already own some “UFO” funds judging by their erratic behavior & disappearing returns.
  • @hank +1, especially your last comment to Derf. Owned many over the years.
  • edited July 2023
    It’s an interesting situation in addition to the whacko politics that will ensue. Maybe a 2016 campaign issue?

It’s logical to assume (and some scientists have speculated) that any long surviving space faring civilization would eventually send out AI / robotic controlled craft to explore the universe or carry their civilization beyond their reach. Conceivably, these might have an unlimited life span. So, have we managed to recover such a craft? Are we studying it to glean defense technology? (10% likelihood at best). Do we have in our possession a stolen or downed or recovered futuristic craft from China or another country? (30% probability). Is the story some kind of ruse by the CIA / Defense Department to hide some advanced intelligence gathering apparatus or advanced warfare technology? (50% probability). And 10% probability goes to “There’s nothing here.

Remember that U.S., supposedly unmanned, space shuttle type vehicle that was orbiting for the Air Force about 10 years back? Whatever happened to that program? Could that program, of an off-shoot, be what this is really about? https://www.npr.org/2019/10/28/774010986/secret-air-force-space-plane-lands-after-more-than-2-years-in-orbit
    (If you think you see astronauts in that photo, rest assured you’re hallucinating.)
    Mark said:

@hank +1, especially your last comment to Derf. Owned many over the years.

CCOR would fit that bill. That bugger can move in some really odd ways / change directions on a dime - but it’s been mostly in a kamikakze style dive the past 6 months or so. Than there’s HSGFX which has spent most of its existence in a death spiral. I’ve owned both of them.
  • "Owned many over the years."

@Mark- Haven't we all !
  • edited July 2023
    GOP Congressman Suggests UFOs Are From Ancient Civilization Hiding-out on Earth

”Appearing on the sports talk show, Gallagher suggested that one possible explanation of supposed UFO sightings was the so-called "Terminator" theory—based on the film of the same name—that aliens were actually human beings from the future.

“Another hypothesis, he said, was that "as opposed to being us from the future, it could actually be an ancient civilization that's just been hiding here and is suddenly showing itself."

“Another member of the discussion then interjected: "Like Transformers," referencing the toy and film franchise in which a mechanized race of aliens seeks refuge on Earth from a civil war taking place on their own planet. In comic book literature, they are said to live for millions of years.”

(The whistleblower) told NewsNation … that the government had retrieved several "non-human origin technical vehicles," some of which contained "dead pilots."

https://www.newsweek.com/ufo-mike-gallagher-comments-video-1809664
  • I believe him GOP'ers are bat sh*t wacko.
  • Some of them make bat sh*t look good.
  • McCarthey’s leadership is sad to say the least.
  • Whatever they’re drinking, I want some …:)
  • Even better entertainment than what is described in Gen. ch. 6:

[1] When men began to multiply on the face of the ground, and daughters were born to them,
    [2] the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were fair; and they took to wife such of them as they chose.
    [3] Then the LORD said, "My spirit shall not abide in man for ever, for he is flesh, but his days shall be a hundred and twenty years."
    [4] The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men that were of old, the men of renown.
  • "These were the mighty men that were of old, the men of renown."

Sounds a lot like something out of the ancient history of Lord of the Rings.
  • edited July 2023
    Old_Joe said:

"These were the mighty men that were of old, the men of renown." Sounds a lot like something out of the ancient history of Lord of the Rings.

Damn - I hope they hold televised hearings on this looniness.

Prime time would be best. The regular late night comics have been knocked off the air by a writers strike.

• Good one @hank. I might even be tempted to watch it.
  • edited July 2023
    Latest wrinkle from this Mellon fella (Former U.S. assistant deputy of something …)

Apparently Mr. Mellon is concerned that these aliens are “violating U.S. airspace.” https://www.newsnationnow.com/cuomo-show/ufo-hearing-congress-christopher-mellon/

You mean our F16s can’t keep up with these dudes from planet Orion? Maybe donate allocate $20 billion more to Lockheed or Boeing to design some new hyper-sonic something that can compete? Would seem near’ impossible to launch any type of counter-attack. Orion’s out of range of the Pacific Fleet.
  • @Crash: can I just take the 120 years with all the fair daughters along for the ride?
  • Old_Joe said:

"These were the mighty men that were of old, the men of renown."

Sounds a lot like something out of the ancient history of Lord of the Rings.

You nailed it. It's pre-historical myth.
  • BenWP said:

@Crash: can I just take the 120 years with all the fair daughters along for the ride?

Hee hee hee hee hee. Good one!
  • Seriously, with all of the other problems and issues we have in this country that need solutions and could be discussed in congress why are they wasting any time at all on this topic? Besides the fact that the current majority party is a bunch of whackadoodles I mean.
  • @Mark: you hit the nail on the head. Only a bunch of whackadoodles could possibly indulge in such weird legislating.
  • edited July 2023
    Mark said:

Seriously, with all of the other problems and issues we have in this country that need solutions and could be discussed in congress why are they wasting any time at all on this topic? Besides the fact that the current majority party is a bunch of whackadoodles I mean.

Possibly to create a distraction away from Trump’s multiple criminal indictments and all the evidence & charges swirling about.

It’s hard to believe even these “whistleblowers” actually believe we have alien spacecraft & bodies in our possession …. Who the hell ever said aliens from another world would have bodies at all - let alone ones that resemble humans in any manner?
  • If there are in fact any aliens from another planet they would have to be very smart to be able to get to Earth, and very stupid to want to have anything to do with us.
  • edited July 2023
    Old_Joe said:

If there are in fact any aliens from another planet they would have to be very smart to be able to get to Earth, and very stupid to want to have anything to do with us.

+1

They’d perform a U-turn and high-tail it back to wherever they came from.

Time is a very long, almost infinite, dimension. The odds some alien would now be anywhere near where we are on the evolutionary scale are astonishingly small. Story might have more legs if they said they’d recovered some type of exotic craft that crashed on earth millions of years ago ago before there were dinosaurs and was burried miles beneath land or sea.
  • There are still some people who think that the earth is flat, that man never went to the moon, that the government is out to get them etc., etc., etc. Does anyone actually think that telling us that there is or isn't aliens and/or alien spacecraft is going to change anyones mind? Sure investigate for scientific curiosity if nothing else but geez not in our loony bin of a congress.
  • edited July 2023
    Meet “rock star” Republican Anna Paulina Luna, 34, the first influencer turned Congresswoman who wants to find UFOs

https://www.the-sun.com/news/8697047/anna-paulina-luna-from-influencer-to-congresswoman/