Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Tony Bennett died yesterday.

7-21-2023.
...And I had to find out about it on FACEBOOK???!!!

Comments

• No, you didn't. There are very well written and comprehensive articles in The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Wall Street Journal. But some expenditure is involved to access those sites.
  • Nothing on your local news station? We discovered on CNN, but doesn't really matter about the place.
    Wife and I saw him in concert in 1984.
  • I watch UK news shows to escape trump news and US politics. Sky News and the BBC covered his passing extensively as he was well known beyond the US.
  • edited July 2023
    An amazing career. This was the lead story on some of the network 6:30 national news programs Friday. (NBC as I recall).

Local news? What a joke. Tonight the local NBC affiliate (owned by Sinclair) replaced their regular trashy 6 PM news / weather with a Sinclair distributed “documentary” on Hunter Biden.
  • edited July 2023
    Ya, Sinclair owns my hometown station, too. Bad knee on me right now. I settled-in and enjoyed some 12-year old MacAllan with some favorite music last night.I can get the news. Mostly, I watch Al Jazeera. From time to time, I check-in on KHON and the national networks.
    The most recent appearance I saw Of Tony Bennett was with Billy Joel at the final, 2-night concert event before Shea stadium closed for good. I hear he had a positive effect on Lady GaGa while they toured together. No more meat dress. She was terrific in the 2nd or 3rd remake of "A Star Is Born." Bradley Cooper with her in that one. Kristofferson and Streisand were excellent in the previous, from the '70s.

My favorite Tony Bennett song: "I Wanna Be Around."
    Scoot in to 1:10.