Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Do you care what’s on the outside of your beer can?

edited July 2023 in Off-Topic
Florida Governor DeSantis preparing to sue Anheuser Bush over cans -

“In an interview on Fox News, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis brought focus back onto Anheuser-Busch InBev’s recent decision to feature transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney on a Bud Light can. DeSantis called for the state’s pension fund manager to review if the decision breached the company’s fiduciary duty to shareholders. This could lead to new litigation over ESG and fiducuiary duty.

In April, Bud Light featured Mulvaney on a limited-edition Bud Light can. The subsequent backlash from conservatives drove a boycott of all AB InBev products, the parent company of Bud Light. The company saw its sales drop 25% compared to the previous year, resulting in a reduction of the value of their stock. “

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmcgowan/2023/07/20/desantis-positions-for-lawsuit-against-anheuser-busch-over-esg-and-mulvaney/

(1) I don’t drink beer from cans, (2) if I did, I wouldn’t bother reading what’s on the outside, (3) I liked Bud back in the 70s. In recent years not at all. Give me a cold bottle of Sam Adams or Modelo any day, But I’ll defend Bud’s right to print whatever images / messages they want on their cans, as long as they don’t violate public indecency laws or promote bigotry or violence.

Comments

• Sounds right to me.
  • A few years back, well maybe more than a few years, I switched to Bud lite as it was suppose to help with gout. It worked for me.
    Just one more, Derf
  • edited July 2023
    Derf said:

A few years back, well maybe more than a few years, I switched to Bud lite as it was suppose to help with gout. It worked for me.
    Just one more, Derf

Whatever works I guess. Beer is a very personal thing I’ve found. What some folks are fond of, others abhor. I remember when in the 70s Bud advertised their “Beechwood Aging.” And did think it tasted better than. But I was poor back than. Usually drank the cheapest on the shelf. I guess moving up from cheaper “Old Milwaukee” probably made the Bud taste good by comparison.

Bud has been known to decorate their cans with the American flag, etc. I always found that a bit of a turn-off as never could figure out the connection between beer and patriotism. Everything is becoming so “Us against Them” now - masquerading as some kind of choice between patriotic vs. non-patriotic, which it is not.

• edited July 2023
    No more Bud for me. Dad drank it. And drank it. And drank more, and more.
    Always the 16-oz. tall ones.

I like it to sting. So, I like the very hoppy flavor of Heineken. But I'll drink others, though. What gripes me is the old labels that have been bought up. The old Canadian Labatt's is now a Coors product. Moosehead and Molson bought here in the States are not made in Canada anymore. And what happened to Jamaican Red Stripe? I can't even find it anymore. "That man is so UGLY!...... But now look at him, holding a Red Stripe! Isn't he BEAUTIFUL!?" ....Red Stripe! It's BEER! Hooray, Beer!"

Anheuser Bush is pushing that stuff on their cans? I would not be drinking it, anyway. Dylan WHO?