Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Death of Dianne Feinstein

NYT ARTICLE

Should be readable by all.

@Old_Joe - what's your take on succession? I'd love to see Katie Porter in that seat.

Comments

• Hi there Mark- yes sir, she would get my vote too. But Newsom and the Sacramento mafia will probably go for woke politics rather than competency. Speaking of our ultra left wing folks, I was very pleased to see AOC yesterday making a decisive attack on the Republicans running the "impeach Biden" travesty.

Watching from the vantage point of advanced age I appreciate the vitality of AOC and her cohort, but sometimes despair at their unproductive tactics. Maybe Nancy Pelosi's grooming, tutelage and hard-gained experience is beginning to pay off with AOC.
  • A personal note regarding Dianne Feinstein-

When she was our mayor, a local car agency donated (lent) a new Cadillac to the Mayor's office every year. Dianne had a real interest in SF public safety, and liked to monitor all of our police and fire radio traffic. She would frequently show up at the scene of major problems to observe and make command decisions if necessary.

Our group installed the necessary radio equipment in the Cadillac, and it was a difficult installation because unlike all of the other public safety equipment we could not drill any obvious holes in the Cadillac to route wiring and such. I drew the assignment one year, and she was so pleased with the installation that she sent me a bottle of very decent wine.

That's class.

• edited September 2023
    "Watching from the vantage point of advanced age I appreciate the vitality of AOC and her cohort, but sometimes despair at their unproductive tactics." I hear ya loud & clear. That applies to both sides. That "burn it all down and start over approach" isn't going to fly in D.C. or in today's political climate.

So I'm wondering if maybe Newsom might consider coaxing Ms. Boxer out of retirement long enough to fill out the remainder of Ms. Feinstein's term and let the voters select the next senator in 2026? Or is that too easy. It's been awhile since I've lived there (CA) and I don't know the statewide appeal of Lee, Schiff or Porter. The last thing he should do is appoint himself (see Anderson in MN 20 make that 46 some years ago). Cool gesture on the wine.
  • "The Squad," including AOC gets my support, apart from the ultra-extreme "woke" stuff. If they could gain some more influence (and "members") it would be just great, by me.

I lived and worked in Stockton in the '90s. It went bankrupt, after that... you think that's a coincidence? LOL. (And if you ever get the chance to go to Stockton, pass it by.)

Who should take that vacant seat, now that Sen. Feinstein is gone? (R.I.P.) Porter? YES!
    Is not Schiff already running a campaign? I think he wants to move from the House to the Senate in the next election.

Alex Padilla, from L.A.
    (Alex WHO?) I guess he's doing what he's supposed to do. No need to bring him into a conversation about these transitions. He's already occupying his own seat.

But, if Padilla is from L.A., will the "Sacramento Mafia" consider geography, and appoint someone from Northern CA? I cringe at the thought of some ultra-woke "they" -pronoun person whom Newsom might appoint. In any case, it MIGHT just be temporary....
  • edited September 2023
    I prefer Adam Schiff for the next senate election. The memory of Senator Feinstein will live on for many folks for her contribution to our society.

Edit: an article from VOX.
    https://vox.com/politics/23895685/dianne-feinstein-dies-california-senate-election-newsom-porter-schiff-lee
  • Yes, Adam Schiff would be a good person also.
  • edited October 2023
    +1. Yes, let's get Schiff a FULL term. I'm surprised to read at "The Hill" that Newsom has PLEDGED to appoint a black woman. So..... Race and genitalia are the deciding factors? That's just nuts. This is why I can't be a Democrat. Neither can I be a Repugnant.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4231007-newsom-faces-challenging-decision-in-feinstein-replacement/
  • As I said... "But Newsom and the Sacramento mafia will probably go for woke politics rather than competency."

"Race and genitalia"... if that ain't "woke" you tell me what it is.
  • Relax, the choice will soon be the voters. If they be woke, so be it.
  • @Old_Joe - setting aside Newsom's selection process is there an objection to Ms. Lee or her qualifications?
  • edited October 2023
    None in particular that I'm aware of. She is noted for being the only congressional member who voted against military action after 911, but considering how that was mishandled, maybe she was prescient.

I just don't hold with high political offices being reserved because of, as Catch so eloquently phrased it, "race and genitalia".
  • Old_Joe said:

I just don't hold with high political offices being reserved because of, as Catch so eloquently phrased it, "race and genitalia".

Newsom picks Laphonza Butler as Feinstein replacement
    California Gov. Gavin Newsom will appoint EMILY’s List President Laphonza Butler to fill the seat of the late Sen. Dianne Feinstein, elevating the head of a fundraising juggernaut that works to elect Democratic women who support abortion rights, according to a person familiar with the decision....

Butler is registered to vote in Maryland but will switch her registration to California.
  • Yup, he followed through. And as an added bonus: not only is she actually NOT YET IN CALIFORNIA, but she is LESBIAN. Or maybe bisexual? The report only said LGBTQ+. How many more initials need to be added, before they feel like they've covered the entire waterfront, eh?

Bonus points! Can't miss. Absolutely, immaculately, fabulously perfect. "Hey, Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit outa my hat."

Jump into 54:56 until 55:13. "Close enough, f***ers!"
  • It is to make me sick. So many other well qualified people with political chops.