Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Hi there!

edited October 2023 in Off-Topic
I am glad that my account is still active, and password worked and amazingly I remembered in the first try without needing password recovery. I used to hang around for hours and hours a day.

I was checking what happened to GPGOX and GPIOX which I still hold them. Anyway, I guess nothing to be concerned about.

I am also glad to see there are still several users (veterans) of MFO that I recognize. I just wanted to stop by and say hello.

I stopped largely from day-to-day tracking of funds and investments and found other hobbies in recent years. I used to do Taekwondo (4th degree BB) but after pandemic closed my dojo, I started running more seriously and now running is consuming my hours. Up to now, I ran 3 marathons and currently preparing for my 4th on March 2nd (The Woodlands Marathon)

Anyway, I have been working on simplifying my portfolio and target date funds are actually looking more and more attractive to me, but it is not easy to leave your trustworthy funds and I guess I am just an average investor as they turn losers I just hang around. I am hoping GPGOX and GPIOX will have a turn around as well.

Comments

• +1 Good to hear you're still kicking.
  • Welcome back @Investor.
  • edited October 2023
    And a 'howdy' back to you. Nice to read you're doing well. Recall you were living near Austin, TX.
  • edited October 2023
    +1 Hello.

”Anyway, I have been working on simplifying my portfolio and target date funds are actually looking more and more attractive to me, but it is not easy to leave your trustworthy funds and I guess I am just an average investor as they turn losers I just hang around. I am hoping GPGOX and GPIOX will have a turn around as well.” - Sounds like you’ve found your “final approach”.:)

Still tinkering around here. One of these days … !
  • @Mark @MikeM @catch22 @hank Nice to see you all.

@catch22 Yes, I still live around Austin, TX.

@hank I think there is some compensation for doing all that monitoring and tracking but when you no longer can do it (or willing to spend the time) the past winners can languish. Over the past 2 years, I have reduced the number of positions in my portfolio which allows me to focus better on what is left.

Recently, I have been buying brokerage CDs (at Fidelity) in my retirement accounts with a portion of the money that I would otherwise dedicate to bond funds. At current environment, over 5% returns at no-risk (FDIC insured) are quite attractive.
  • edited October 2023
    @Investor- Hello there, Investor! Very happy that you're still with us. I hope that Austin is still a small oasis of relative sanity, surrounded as it is by the howling wilderness of Texas.

At 84, I've also reduced everything to MMkt Funds, and CDs / Treasuries. Frankly it's a relief not to have to check the markets every day to see what's happened "this time".

Great to hear from you-
    OJ
  • Old_Joe said:

I hope that Austin is still a small oasis of relative sanity, surrounded as it is by the howling wilderness of Texas.

Oh, the area has grown a lot! When I moved to my neighborhood, we were fairly surrounded by wilderness. While I still see plenty of deer and sometimes wild hog along the neighborhood greenbelt, the area is now full of developments and new businesses and accompanying traffic.
    Old_Joe said:

At 84, I've also reduced everything to MMkt Funds, and CDs / Treasuries. Frankly it's a relief not to have to check the markets every day to see what's happened "this time".

Sensible move if you have sufficient funds. No need to take excess risks.
    Old_Joe said:

Great to hear from you-
    OJ

Likewise!
  • Back atcha, Investor. :)
  • I haven't been looking at Off-Topic threads, so I missed this. Saw your post in CD vs. MM rates. Great to hear that you're doing well. We've missed your posts.

RPHYX / RPHIX has reopened, so that's another option that's available to you. Should do slightly better than MMFs with slightly more risk.

FZDXX YTD (sept 30th): 3.63%
    RPHYX YTD (sept 30th): 3.78% (quarter-end table)
    RPHIX (sept 30th): 3.96% (quater-end table)
  • @Crash @msf Hi!
    msf said:

RPHYX / RPHIX has reopened, so that's another option that's available to you. Should do slightly better than MMFs with slightly more risk.

FZDXX YTD (sept 30th): 3.63%
    RPHYX YTD (sept 30th): 3.78% (quarter-end table)
    RPHIX (sept 30th): 3.96% (quater-end table)

Thanks for the recommendations. I used to hold RPHYX until a couple of years ago thanks to David. In one portfolio simplification round I had sold it. I will take a look at again.
  • Glad to see you back and everything are in order. I used to invest with Grandeur Peaks but moved on to other less volatile funds. Likewise, I have reduced my holdings so to simplify life.
  • Sven said:

Glad to see you back and everything are in order. I used to invest with Grandeur Peaks but moved on to other less volatile funds. Likewise, I have reduced my holdings so to simplify life.

I think if you don't want to baby sit your funds simplification is the key. I found that while my extensive research and attention produce some extra returns, it was too much time from the other things I wanted to do with my life. With pandemic I've left behind my Taekwondo career at 4th degree black belt and substituted running as my main sport. I am currently preparing for my 4th marathon and having dreams of running 6 marathon majors in the future. On Oct 28th I won a local Half Marathon race. Well, I am not that fast, but the race was a small one and apparently faster ones didn't show up. Oh well...

Going back to Grandeur Peaks... They are probably simplified out of the portfolio in December. I have not made a final decision but currently leaning towards that direction.
  • @Investor, glad to see you back to the board. You are making great progress in your distance running. These days I swim, walk, and do yoga (something got me started).

Last several years have been challenging to stay afloat with high interest rates, high energy cost, and geopolitical conflict. Most of my simplifications focus on the income generation and risk reduction as I am near retirement. So smaller cap funds such as Grandeur Peaks funds were sold several years ago. Staying with index funds certainly reduced the number of funds/ETFs I used to have.