Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Wanta feel small? / The Universe Viewed From New European Telescope

edited November 2023 in Off-Topic
”On Tuesday, the European Space Agency shared the first images from the robotic telescope in space — five ethereal views of our cosmos. Launched in July, Euclid is on a quest to map a third of the extragalactic sky and to reveal how the mysterious influences of dark matter and dark energy have shaped the structure of the universe. The new images are just a taste of what scientists expect the space telescope to achieve.”

The NYT - https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/07/science/euclid-telescope-photos.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Below: the spiral galaxy IC 342, the Horsehead Nebula and the irregular galaxy NGC 6822

Comments

• This stuff blows me right away. Astounding. Astonishing. Humbling.
  • I can think of a number of people who ought to be sent to the Irregular Galaxy. Thanks for posting this!
  • edited November 2023
    That spiral galaxy at the top looks a lot like the much closer Andromeda. I have a large framed photo of Andromeda in my home. One of my favorites. Stunningly beautiful..

@BenWP … Ralph Cramden only wanted to send Alice to the moon. Sounds like you have “grander” plans for someone. (I’d rather not know who.)
  • I think I see the Loch Ness Monster in that second pic!
  • And here I thought that we lived in the irregular galaxy, especially the way that it's been operating for the last few years.

Yes, stunningly beautiful for sure! I have a couple hundred similar type pics which constantly shuffle as the background on my computer screen. I'll add these to the collection.