Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Man Who Lived in Mobile Home Leaves $3.8M to NH Town After Death

https://apnews.com/article/new-hampshire-town-gift-frugal-millionaire-holt-994a9448623c51db5036b85dd563fb24

HINSDALE, N.H. (AP) — Geoffrey Holt was unassuming as the caretaker of a mobile home park in Hinsdale, New Hampshire, where he lived a simple, but curious life.

Residents would see Holt around town in threadbare clothes — riding his lawn mower, headed to the convenience store, parked along the main road reading a newspaper or watching cars pass.

He did odd jobs for others, but rarely left town. Despite having taught driver’s ed to high schoolers, Holt had given up driving a car. He opted for a bicycle instead and finally the mower. His mobile home in the park was mostly empty of furniture -- no TV and no computer, either. The legs of the bed went through the floor.

But Holt died earlier this year with a secret: He was a multimillionaire. And what’s more, he gave it all away to this community of 4,200 people. His will had brief instructions: $3.8 million to the town of Hinsdale to benefit the community in the areas of education, health, recreation and culture.

Comments

• I hope the community has enough graciousness, gratitude and decency to honorably honor his request.
  • Wow. I know that town. Its claim to fame USED TO BE a sulky horse racing track. It closed. Sounds like quite a character. Rest In Peace.
  • edited November 2023
    My first thought here was of Matt Foley - of SNL fame. But, after checking, it turns out Ol’ Matt only possessed a ”van” down by the river - not even a genuine mobile home.