Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

"$5 Million is nothing"

https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2023/12/5-million-is-nothing/

"Once you become wealthy you start to spend more money. And you hang out with people who are even wealthier than you are, so you begin to feel inadequate.

I know I have a lot of money but I still don’t feel rich.

Sure, I have a million bucks but what if I had two million instead?

I’m worth five million but I’d be a lot happier with ten million.

Even among millionaires, only 8% would characterize themselves as wealthy these days.

Roughly 60% of investors with $1 million or more of investable assets said they are more likely upper middle class, according to a recent Ameriprise Financial survey of more than 3,000 adults.

To that point, 31% consider themselves decidedly middle class.

There are roughly 16 million American households that are worth $1 million or more. But that number includes primary residence so the number with $1 million in investable assets is much smaller. We’re probably talking something like 5% of the population.

If you have $1 million in investable assets you are not certainly not middle class or upper middle class — you’re rich!

Munger was worth something like $2-3 billion. He was as good as anyone at understanding human psychology, incentives and behavior. And he still couldn’t help but wonder if he could’ve been richer!"

Comments

• I decided long ago that it would take at least $10M to feel secure. I also decided that I had better get used to feeling a bit lucky but not secure.
  • Note: Net Worth

'People in the 90th percentile are considered well off, with a household net worth of $1.9 million. They can go on trips, and think about charity donations and sending their kids to college.

The 95th percentile is considered wealthy, with $3.2 million household net worth, so even more spending power, which means estate planning and possibly more than one home. And the 99th percentile is very wealthy, with $16.7 million in net household worth, Schmidt says. They can do whatever they want, and might own a winery or ranch.'

Yahoo article from July. I can't warranty the info or the source.
  • edited December 2023
    One thing to think about is that it takes time to accumulate $1M. When you are talking about some percentage of the population, most haven't had that time to accumulate and compound. But they will. Percentages only mean something using baby boomers as the denominator. You'll see that percentage of millionaires much higher, I'm sure.

My wife and I were average earners and saved maybe 10% of our pay to a 401k, consistently. We didn't do anything special getting to the magic-mil by the time we were 60's. My kids now make quite a bit more than we did. I don't think they or your average gen-x'er or millennial will have a problem getting to the magic million either.
  • edited December 2023
    "Average family premiums for health insurance, based on the Kaiser Family Foundation’s 2023 Employer Health Benefits Survey, over a 39-year period (ages 26-65) came to $934,752."

The US healthcare system is broken. And it ain't getting fixed anytime soon.

"Regardless of education, the average lifetime earnings of all Americans are roughly $2.3 million, according to a report from Georgetown University's Center on Education and the Workforce."

https://themessenger.com/business/the-american-dream-will-now-cost-you-over-3-million-report?utm_source=onsite&utm_medium=latest_news
  • Having money is good, but your health condition determines your lifestyle after retirement. We stay active when we were young. So far so good as our kids leave the house and return during holidays. Since last year we re-emerge post-COVID to travel and enjoy our lives again. Money is really the last thing we are worry about.
  • +1.

Forrest Gump: "One less thing to worry about." Recall the scene where he gives that check to Bubba's surviving family.
  • edited December 2023
    "Once you become wealthy you start to spend more money. And you hang out with people who are even wealthier than you are, so you begin to feel inadequate.”

LOL - Not wealthy. But at 78 I’ve decided to “let it roll” and have been flying first class several times a year for a long while now. And I’ve encountered some really odd eccentric folks up in that front section of planes - some obviously well-heeled.

After turning around and heading back to the gate to check out a technical glitch, a gal up in front began berating the poor cabin attendant (a middle aged male) shouting angrily and repeatedly “Bring me another drink!” She’d already had a couple at the gate. Obviously the flight crew didn’t want her getting smashed while the plane was being repaired before even departing. Finally, he told her if she persisted the captain would come back and deal with her. That seemed to quell her thirst until we were airborne. Meanwhile, the self-important (but friendly) dude next to me on the same flight mumbled into his cellphone the entire trip to someone on the ground. I figure he used the wifi aboard for a voice connection, although the airline rules prohibit such use.

On another recent flight the good natured soul next to me excitedly ran a demonstration video of a new candy wrapping machine he’d just bought while in California. Apparently he’d begun a very profitable business in Michigan producing and marketing “chocolate covered coffee beans” - a new confection. The roasted / coated beans are bound together into bars. It was amazing watching the video of that machine wrapping and spitting out about one bar every second. I remarked that I thought “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” a pretty good flick. (Deep - I know) :)

All said, I do prefer the extra room, priority boarding and not having someone’s kid kicking the back of my seat during flight. On another vein I’m reminded of the adage: ”The rich are not like you and me …”
  • Guy next to me. Obviously not heterosexual. Fine. But he came equipped with every industrial-strength-aroma lotion and portion and cream and junk known to humanity. Including a small pipe for inhaling essence of peppermint. All of which give me breathing problems and headaches. First Class means nothing in terms of any assurance that the jerk next to you has learned the difference between a public airline cabin and his own personal bathroom. Doink-heads, everywhere. It's just that in First Class, I have more room to "enjoy" the unthinking, discourteous morons.
  • I dunno... I have gotten to the point where I really hate almost everything about flying. I sure hear you with respect to the kid behind me kicking the seat back, but then when deplaning and wading through the garbage pit that once was a nice-looking first-class section I'm grateful that I didn't have to spend hours with the type of people who made that mess.

• edited December 2023
    +1 OJ

I’d say your dislike of the experience is pretty typical. Maybe it’s in ”the eye of the beholder”. Obviously, I continue to enjoy the experience. Took first jet ride out of DTW on an Eastern DC-8 in 1974. Smoked a pipe on the flight. We didn’t yet have wheels on our (hand carried) luggage.:)

@Crash - I haven’t encountered the type issue you did. Sounds like a totally obnoxious individual. I’ve seen more (obnoxious behavior) seated in the back for whatever reason. Part of it is the crowding and people fighting for space I think. More younger college aged who are sometimes drunk / buzzed ride in the back. But my comments were more about the behavior of some of the highly affluent than about seating choices. May have used a bad illustration. I suspect some are just used to “throwing their weight around” regardless of the setting.
  • +1 oh, he was extremely courteous. Utterly clueless, is all.