Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Two new Matthews International ETFs in registration

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/923184/000119312523296653/d558293d485apos.htm

Matthews Emerging Markets Discovery Active ETF
Matthews China Discovery Active ETF

Comments

• edited December 2023
    deleted
  • It begs the question, why Matthews now when there are many better choices elsewhere?
  • As far as I’m concerned, Matthews has poisoned the well. I will never invest with them again. When an investment company destroys my trust, I’m through with them.
  • @Tarwheel - can you please expound on the poisoning? Thanks I have a lot of Matthews and you have me concerned for sure.
  • @SecretAgent - My issue with Matthews was an investment with MAPIX. I owned it for more than 7 years, and it still lost money. I’m a buy and hold investor, and didn’t realize all of the turmoil going on at Matthews — managers leaving, manager changes, etc. They changed the manager of MAPIX, who changed its investment style significantly— and it went from a top performing fund to the bottom of the barrel. It made significant gains the first few years that I owned it, and then cratered. All of this happened after the management changes. My fault, I guess, for not keeping abreast. Apparently, a lot of their top managers quit.
  • Same thing happened to me Tarwheel. I would never invest with them again.
  • edited January 7
    "Apparently, a lot of their top managers quit."

Yes, many Matthews Asia portfolio managers left the firm.
    This was previously discussed in the MFO thread listed below.
    There are a few other related MFO threads regarding Matthews Asia.
    https://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/comment/170710
  • Even it may be a bit late, but it is time to move on elsewhere. In the future, keep track of the managers, especially active management.
  • edited January 10
    Are there enough portfolio managers still there to actually manage these new offerings??
  • Just steer clear. Matthews by now is like a black hole. Back in the '90s they were at the top of their game. It's a disaster now.
  • Crash said:

Just steer clear. Matthews by now is like a black hole. Back in the '90s they were at the top of their game. It's a disaster now.

If the troubles continue, maybe they'll get acquired by a consolidator/supermarket like AMG at some point....?