Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Another nice little perk at Schwab: after-hours

I have the option to keep a trade-order active before, during, and after hours. I hope it will be helpful to fill my sell order that way.... GTC. Good Till Canceled. It will die after 6 months if not filled.

Comments

• Schwab GTC used to be 60 days only, but now it's 6 months. Day-order (expires at the end of the day) is also an option. One thing nice is that if, say, you have 500# GTC order, and only 200# get filled on some day, then the rest 300# will remain GTC but you can cancel that. Most trading is commission-free, but in old days, single commission applied to the entire GTC order.

The first time you try to use pre/after-hour trading, you may have to go through 10-15 approval process. They have to read a scripted text before approving this feature. You may want to get this out of the way if you will be trading pre/after-market hours. Otherwise, there may be a delay. These are illiquid markets, and easily manipulated. You must use limit-orders. Orders from market hours doesn't carry over to pre/after-market hours, or vice-versa.

Similar at Fido and other major brokers.
  • Yup. I always use GTC-EXT @ Schwab --- very handy, especially in cases where liquidity is tight and you're only partially filled after pulling the trigger. Plus, even if the trade is open for a few days as it fills, you're only paying one commission (if you need to, such as on foreign ordinaries)
  • Yes, this particular one is indeed a Limit Order to SELL. So the designated price is rather higher than the current price. Might not be filled for quite a while. I did the order on the website. How can they read to me on the WEBSITE? (yogi.)
  • edited April 30
    @Crash, just for info. For another way to sell, my preference most often is to use 'trailing stop'. In that way you can ride the stock higher before it starts to significantly drop. Why cut the flowers before they've fully grown. There are some reasons not to use that function also, especially for smaller, lesser traded stocks that can get spiked easily.

Just more perks to consider.
  • MikeM said:

@Crash, just for info. For another way to sell, my preference most often is to use 'trailing stop'. In that way you can ride the stock higher before it starts to significantly drop. Why cut the flowers before they've fully grown. There are some reasons not to use that function also, especially for smaller, lesser traded stocks that can get spiked easily.

Just more perks to consider.

I tend to use alerts vs sells .. that way I can tell if it's normal market gyration or something more severe. I rarely use hard stop-orders to exit positions for that very reason - unless it's on a position I'm *really* watching closely and/or am worried about (or can't monitor say for travel) which isn't that often. In many cases, a stock/future will blow thru a stop-loss only to reverse soonafter, so I tend to be patient.
  • @Crash, may be it's different now.
    When I first tried to trade after-hours years ago, I was directed to call a number. When the Rep started going over the typical risks, I said I was familiar with all that. The Rep insisted that he must still read through it.
    May be it's just a click now.
  • Appreciate the input, all. Now I have homework to do on "Trailing Stop." @MikeM.

Another I'm watching closely is TS. It was on fire and rising. Lately, it's falling like a stone. What I read says there is heightened competition in North America. Some companies--- including TS--- have not yet reported for the 1st Q. of 2024. It's coming soon in May. I'm still holding a SMALL profit in the stock. I had intended this one to be a long-term holding. Maybe it's time to BUY, again?

OOPS, wrong again. 1st Q. results:
    https://www.morningstar.com/news/globe-newswire/9106305/tenaris-announces-2024-first-quarter-results

Net Income is down by -35%. Gulp.