Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

POT Slammed Today

edited July 2013 in Off-Topic

In face of several recent bullish reviews on SeekingAlpha:

Potash: 5 Reasons To Buy (7/27)
Potash Corp Should Be Bought Here (7/26)
Potash Seem Ripe For A 15%+ Move (7/9)

Comments

• I think you have a sector that's already seen significant drops from the highs for the last few years. People tried to pick a bottom, but I can't imagine anyone - analysts or otherwise, saw what was coming this morning that caused this. As I noted in the other thread, POT owns a good deal of SQM and both pay nice dividends. Still, while there may be a bounce, I'd say stay away (and if the industry is really weakened, the dividends may be lessened or dropped.)
  • Reestablished a trading position in MOO early this morning, picking it up under $50. If it falls more, I will double down. MOO has positions in POT and MOS that represent less than 12% of its holdings, and I believe this selling is way overdone. I'll play for a bounce over the next days or couple of weeks.
  • Reply to @tgeno: I agree MOO is probably the best way to play it and I continue to think ag is a place to be long-term.
  • MOO hasn't exactly been a standout since its inception and has a negative 5 year annualized compounded return.
  • A relate article that may explain the reason for price adjustment in Potash:

Russian Potash company
  • Apart from MOO which is agricultural stocks, agricultural commodities has not been the place to be the past 30 years+. I use to trade agricultural commodities back in the days and was a futures broker for a short time in the early 70s. Comparing prices from then to now and then compared to the S&P then and now it's not even remotely close as to the total returns.
  • Reply to @Junkster: I trade in and out of MOO based on its chart. It's not an investment.
  • Its a beaten down sector, so cost averaging here could be very rewarding for those with patience. Starting to nibble today.
  • From the "Articles & News" thread:

Potash Group Surviving Demise of Russian Competitor
    "POT, MOS & AGU poised to continue managing supply to bolster prices"
    "We expect a major exit by investors out of potash producers"
    ⇒ Link to Bloomberg Article