Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

So who walks with "God"?

edited October 2013 in Fund Discussions
Who bought ETGLX? Up > 50% YTD.

I mean when my wife selected MXXVX I went with it even though I'm not overly religious thinking "whatever gets someone's goat and makes him invest his entire families net worth is good enough for me".

Now I'm hearing God is directly influencing ETGLX performance. I mean someone with Engineering and Medical degrees from reputed universities needs God to lend him a hand and God is obliging !!!

Comments

• Has an MD and doesn't think he's God?
    Refreshing.
  • Likely due to the fund's fairly significant biotech exposure. Look at the performance of some of the top names. I don't own this fund, but am pleased with HQL.
  • i've been buying bits n pieces of BBH. it's been doing pretty good too.
  • edited October 2013
    Seriously Guys, you need to read the website. I have no call to make on the competence of the manager and in fact willing to listen to any cogent argument for the same. I mean the performance has been spectacular. However, does not seem like everyone has read the website. It is biggest pile of marketing brown stuff I have read in recent memory. Just for Max, here's an excerpt...

Eventide’s investment philosophy is rooted in the biblical understanding that God’s great intent for business is that it serve and, in turn, bless humankind . . . and that companies that prosper best, and sustainably, are the ones who do this especially well.

Accordingly, Eventide seeks to invest in companies that operate with integrity and excel at creating value. In so doing we enlarge the capacity of these businesses to create still more value, including for our shareholders. Just as importantly, Eventide tries to avoid investing in companies that engage in predatory behavior or seek profit at all costs — practices which harm customers, society, and eventually shareholders.

This not only gives Eventide investors the potential for outperformance, it also provides a compelling opportunity to invest intentionally in companies whose products and practices bring real blessing. This is the essence of biblically responsible investing — and for Eventide and its investors, we believe that this is truly ‘better investing . . . for a better world.’

We invite you to engage with the interactive diagrams below to more fully understand Eventide’s distinctive investment philosophy — and how our deep, biblical appreciation of business and investing leads to decidedly different choices from other fund managers.

I don't need God to tell me I shouldn't start a company harmful to society. I just don't do it. Similarly if I was an investment manager, I wouldn't need God to tell me not to invest in Monsanto.

Wait a second, I'm not an investment manager. So what I do is buy MXXVX (then sell it but that's another story), who's manager owns Goldman Sachs in its portfolio because Saint Matthew said it was okay, but more importantly because I'm high and mighty and don't directly buy Goldman Sachs. I have someone else do my dirty work for me. I suck, but I can have my cake and eat it too.

Now as far as Eventide is concerned, make no mistake. They and the companies they own in their funds are all doing God's work.

Err...what's that smell? Oops, I think I just barfed!
  • I had mentioned the other week I have a small position in ETGLX because it's second largest holding is my largest equity holding. I have added a few more small cap biotechs recently as it's beginning to look like a rerun of the late 90s in tech stocks. Even though I consider myself a conservative trader, I have always enjoyed trading bubble areas of the markets.
  • VF

The Bible contains about 2,350 verses on money. 15% of the Bible is about money/possessions, that is more than any other single topic including Heaven, Hell, faith or prayer!
  • edited October 2013
    I'm seriously considering conversion from "agnostic" to born-again moneymaker. Maybe I should check out these ETGLX folks... back in the 70's I did real good with "Mormon bonds" paying 14% tax free. (Turns out that I was helping to finance the Four Corners coal-fired extra-strength-pollution electrical generating facilities, but I didn't realize that then.)

[What did he know, and when did he know it??]
  • Reply to @VintageFreak: Whoa...Takes my breath away. It sounds to me like a joining of fundamentalism and the recently popular theology which wants to make sure you know that The Almighty wants you to thrive and be wealthy. Hogwash. Now that I've read more than a bit of the website, I feel sticky. Like I'm COVERED in hogwash. Or maybe another apt description is that, having read that stuff, I feel like the floor of a taxicab.

That is fecal junk. "The first of these phrases is about the creation of wealth. Given how Christians often think about this topic, the passage tells us something rather surprising — that our ability to create wealth is not a human invention at all. Rather, it is a divine gift, something that God himself has bestowed on humankind."

Yup.... But somewhere else, I read: "how difficult it is for the wealthy to enter the kingdom of God."

But the quote is from the HEBREW scripture, not the "New" Testament. Even within that frame, what is at the core, the center, the hearet of it all, is not becoming wealthy. It is freedom, justice and compassion, particularly toward the weak and vulnerable.

"You shall give to (the poor) freely, and your heart shall not be grudging when you give to him.... For the poor will never cease to be among you. Therefore you shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in the land." (Deut. 15:10-11.)

OK, well. They won't see any of my money. The explanations on that website turn their own source (the bible) inside-out and upside-down. It just plain stinks. OK, I'm done. (AAAaarrrggghhhh!!!)
  • Boys & Girls: In my opinion it's time to move on !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Reply to @Ted: Oh, fudge, father! You are so old-fashioned! All the other kids are doing it...
  • I'll hedge my bets and buy VICEX.
  • Reply to @SlowLane: For removing vice?
  • Reply to @SlowLane: ...which continues to do pretty dang well.
  • Reply to @Art: Yes, all religious texts devote space to wealth, but that doesn't mean one sells a mutual fund based on that.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2013
    Yes, Business is not in the business of doing good. And yet money and the way it gets spent, saved, invested or wasted is everywhere you turn. It is part-and-parcel of daily living, no matter where you are. To divorce it from ethical issues is unreality--- unless ethics doesn't actually matter at all, after all is said and done(!?)

...It is the same kind of unreality I engage in, as soon as I began to invest. Business everywhere is "as pure as the wind-driven slush." Like all of us, if I may. Just don't try to tell me that a mutual fund (ETGLX) is employing "Christian principles" in the way that their website describes. Prosperity Gospel of Ease and Comfort. A bunch of dooky. ...And yes, I suppose it is time, indeed, to move on--- as Ted has asserted, above.
  • Reply to @Junkster:

mind sharing exactly how you trade those bubble areas? i have a little bit in biotech, too....
  • Reply to @Old_Joe:

From the Beach Boys

"Well she got her daddy's car
    And she cruised through the hamburger stand now
    Seems she forgot all about the library
    Like she told her old man now
    And with the radio blasting
    Goes cruising just as fast as she can now

And she'll have fun, fun, fun
    'Til her daddy takes the T-Bird away"
  • The irony of that is one's only response of that is ..... JESUS !!!