Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

“Very Long” Shutdown Looming

edited December 2018 in Off-Topic
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46637638

I don’t know if this has spooked investors or not. God knows there’s enough other crap going down to do that.

I would like to know how this might affect the Special Counsel and / or the FBI? The latter has a number of “high profile” investigations ongoing. Talk about “security” - I won’t feel more secure if any part of the government’s anti-terrorist operation is hampered.

And, how about the post office? As an “old-school” investor, some of my transactions are still submitted via USPS. Timely delivery important.

Comments

• Howdy folks,

Hope you're doing well Hank.

Apparently, the compromise being floated is to increase the funding for 'border security' and allow the Dreamers to stay. That said, it's such macho silliness WTF knows.

Personally, I vote for a shutdown until Donald resigns AND has all of his offspring sterilized . . . or simply a General Strike.

And so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • @ Rono, one of the best posts of the year, thanks for the grins.
  • edited December 2018
    Great idea Donald- let's punish Federal Parks workers because this fence thing is all their fault. Hell, they don't need to feed their families over Christmas.. they can all go to the Salvation Army for meals. Maybe just keep not paying them until we've saved $5 Billion dollars and then use that. Shouldn't be more than ten years or so.

@Slick- Knowing rono, I'm not entirely certain that he's joking.

@Hank- Post Office is supposed to be OK.
  • edited December 2018
    Rono should start his own website. He's always spot on. As for the sterilization rec...I think he jokes...but that should be a real consideration.

Personally, I hope Donnie keeps his arms all folded up and goes from orange to red faced. If he stands his ground for just a bit longer, he and his followers will make like the Titanic - they can all go down together. Erratic, silly and self-serving. Lets end this, so America has a chance to be normal again (forget "Great" for now).
  • I'm with Meghan McCain on this "America has always been great" although it's taken a real beating to that image the last two years. And no, rono is not joking. Sterilization will do fine.
  • Government shutdown would halt many IRS operations (Journal of Accountancy)

But have no fears ... ongoing IRS activities will include "continuing to complete and test upcoming filing year programs; processing electronic returns, up to the point of refund ...

"most IRS activities will stop during a shutdown. ... includ[ing] Issuing refunds ..."
  • edited December 2018
    But of course. Your government can shutdown but all of us better keep sending those payments we owe. To fund just what exactly I have no clue.
  • edited December 2018
    One for the archives (thanks to @rono). My hope is that even if Individual #1 manages to destroy the planet, this one will live on in cyberspace.
  • Howdy folks,

This is Christmas Eve. Chill and enjoy the day with your friends and family. This insanity will pass and we'll be better for it. My mother always said, "if it doesn't kill you, it will make you stronger.'

For those that have not enjoyed . . . .

and so it goes,

peace.

rono
  • @ Ron: Encore performance, great !
    Merry Christmas,
    Ted:)
  • rono, My favorite. Merry Christmas!
  • Santa & the reindeer like good to go !! The sleigh must be broken !!
    Derf