Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Which of your funds surprised you today to the up-side?

PRSNX no change.
PTIAX jumped .07 cents, or the equivalent of a typical monthly dividend, lately. Up +.31%.
Stock funds are in the crapper today. The LEAST BAD was PRWCX, down -1.01%.

Inverted yield curve. Well.......

Comments

• Hi Crash,

I don’t know, and I truly don’t care about my portfolio today. It doesn’t matter over the long run. What happens on any given day is noise.

Checking a portfolio frequently can be harmful to both your health and your wealth. The proper time between portfolio examinations is probably very each person dependent. No single answer suffices for all of us. But a daily check introduces too much emotion into the decision process, and that likely degrades outcomes. Here is a Link that addresses the issues:

https://jarredbunch.com/how-often-checking-your-portfolio/

Here is an important observation from that short article:

“The investors who got the most frequent feedback (and thus the most information) took the least risk and earned the least money.“

If true, that’s a bad outcome. Risk and reward are highly coupled. Too much feedback equates to too much emotion which is integral to a Loser’s game.

Whatever checking frequency you seIect is proper for you if it places you in your comfort zone. That’s important when making investment decisions. I wish you successful, emotion free investing. I wish that for all of us.

Best Regards
  • edited March 2019
    Many Utility stocks were up, including UTG, a CEF (CEFs often trade in sympathy with the stock market, regardless of the asset classes held by the CEF). Defensive (higher quality) bond funds were up (total bond market, PTIAX, etc.), while “higher risk” bond funds (PONAX, PDVAX, ARTFX as examples in my portfolio) were slightly negative (-.1 to -.3%).

It’s ironic as it seems like what made the stock market sell off today (Fed not going to raise rates this year due to slowing growth, if not actually decline), was what caused it to rally yesterday. Per my pea brain figgerin’, anyways
  • edited March 2019
    MJG said:

Hi Crash,

“I don’t know, and I truly don’t care about my portfolio today. It doesn’t matter over the long run. What happens on any given day is noise.

Checking a portfolio frequently can be harmful to both your health and your wealth. The proper time between portfolio examinations is probably very each person dependent. No single answer suffices for all of us. But a daily check introduces too much emotion into the decision process, and that likely degrades outcomes ....”

(portions edited for brevity)

“..... “The investors who got the most frequent feedback (and thus the most information) took the least risk and earned the least money.“

If true, that’s a bad outcome. Risk and reward are highly coupled. Too much feedback equates to too much emotion which is integral to a Loser’s game. “

-

@MJG, What an unfettered sanctimonious piece of crap. This board is devoted to discussing mutual funds. On a day when major equity indexes concluded their worst week in over two and a half months and the treasury bond yield curve inverted for the first time since 2007 @Crash’s question is perfectly legit.

You know what? I don’t care either. That makes two of us. But if @Crash or others choose to have a discussion pertinent to his topic that’s their prerogative. Who knows? You and I might actually learn something by listening in. How dare you demean him or others who may choose to participate?
  • My best bond fund was GIBLX, up .34%, and next was PTIAX as others have mentioned. My least worst non bond was my reit fund FRIFX down .25%. Surprisingly my two emerging market funds did much better than their US or global sisters.
  • MJG
    edited March 2019
    Hi Hank,

You misinterpret the purpose of my submittal. I had no intention to bad-mouth Crash or anyone else who contributes to this informed Board. Sorry that my posts are not always clear. I do always try but sometimes fail to make my points. Crap happens!

Without any doubt, I do learn from the many fine posts that are presented here every day. I do not consider myself an especially well informed investor. I try to learn each and every day. You guys all contribute to my learning process. Thank you all.

As I said in my post, my primary goal was to suggest, not absolutely claim, that checking a portfolio too often can potentially cause an investor to react impulsively rather than prudently and cautiously. But I’m surely not an expert in this arena, and don’t claim otherwise. I’m just expressing my uninformed opinion on this matter. That’s why I included a reference that supported my position.

Best Wishes
  • My investment grade bond funds are up today while there are signs of global slowdown, especially in Europe. Guess the tipping point was the inverted yield curve. Next week will be something else...

• PFL, BIT and FPF
  • ...And I bet the whole Brexit mess is not helping foreign funds, either. The Brits are so evenly split on that business! Northern Ireland, Scotland and Gibraltar all voted to REMAIN. My own portf. is 5.59% in developed Europe, ZERO in emerging Europe.
  • @hank "unfettered sanctimonious piece of crap..."
    That's why I did not respond.:)
  • TACTX +0.40%

This "fund of funds"must be net short on the Equities markets at the moment.
  • JoeD said:

TACTX +0.40%

This "fund of funds"must be net short on the Equities markets at the moment.

Yes, a good bet, that.
  • @hank and @Crash- I'm not sure about the "unfettered" part...
  • Hi Hank, Crash, Old Joe,

Thank you for investing time by reading my posts. They must stimulate your interest in either a positive or negative way. That works for me. I typically do not waste my time and do not reciprocate.

Best Wishes
  • @MJG- always fun to get a rise out of you. Carry on!