Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Mueller Report: Report On The Investigation Into Russian Interference In The 2016 Election

Comments

• edited April 2019
  • edited April 2019
    @Ted. Thanks for linking.

It’s entirely possible that investors here also have a deep sense of civic responsibility and may find the report of interest. Frankly, I’m feeling burned-out by all of this. I’ll read the report when my Kindle copy arrives. But I will have no further comment on the report here.

Thanks again for the link. I’ll leave you with a candid photo:

• edited April 2019
    I'm certain that my opinion here will be less than universal, but here's what I think with respect to the AG's handling of the matter, at least up till this point.

• This is hardly the first time that an Attorney-General has had a good working relationship, if not a friendship, with the President of the United States. Robert Kennedy was appointed AG by his brother John, for heaven's sake.

• OK, the current AG, William Barr, is, if not a friend, at least an evident supporter of the President. So what?

• The "liberal" press has been ranting for weeks about the perceived "soft" handling of the Mueller report by the AG. Indeed, Mr. Barr has seemingly presented the report in the best possible light with respect to the President. Again, so what? Mr. Barr has made no secret of his respect for the current president- why would anyone expect anything else?

Given the overall performance of the current President, it's very hard, but let's at least attempt to be fair and even-handed in appraising the operations of the executive branch. There's one hell of a lot more to worry about with respect to the obvious subversion of many of the executive branches by the deliberate appointment of department heads who have a well-documented antagonism to those very branches.

Mr. Barr's performance, at least so far, seems to be well within the normally accepted historical limits of the office.
  • nah, he's a suckup toad of the first water, and did the same thing in 1989

why he got hired in the first place

the report is as damning as can be without landing in prosecutive places; there are many smart analyses and summaries this evening, but this is a fun place to start:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/us/politics/white-house-mueller-report.html
  • nah, he's a suckup toad of the first water, and did the same thing in 1989

Funny that you used the word "toad", its the first word I thought of after seeing that picture of Barr above.

And agreed, he is just a major suckup. Lets be real. There are more holes in Donnie's stories than in a block of swiss cheese. And Barr is willing to be the Donnie's new b***h.

• "There are more holes in Donnie's stories than in a block of Swiss cheese."

Yes, that's beyond dispute. But are you claiming that Mr. Mueller is also a " major suckup"? Let's be real: Mueller would have nailed Trump in a bloody second if there was sufficient corroborating evidence. There wasn't, and Mr. Muller did the correct and honorable thing by citing the conflicting evidence, and passing on an indictment. As much as I would have preferred one, enough stuff just wasn't there.

So Mueller's boss made the most of the situation, and portrayed it as a total vindication of his boss. Sorry, that's politics, to be expected, and totally within the normal routine of things Washington. Big f'ing deal.

• OJ, rtf report itself, or at least please start with the dozen topline analyses in NYT, WaPo --- those two front pages now say it all --- Slate, Politico, Vox, DailyBeast, LATimes, Atlantic, New Yorker, etc ...
    Watch Katyal. He was particularly pithy on Colbert tonight. The obstruction case is ironclad; no exoneration by anyone except crooked suckups like Barr.
  • Old_Joe said:

"There are more holes in Donnie's stories than in a block of Swiss cheese."

Yes, that's beyond dispute.

Um, see, that's the part I cannot get past so easily. His minions are very quick to dismiss his constant lies, but how is that ok? Donnie lost his credibility long ago, so why would we respect him? He is not really the POTUS - he is a narcissistic bully who never should have gotten to this level. Putin mocks us. Trump is his puppet. Billions of taxpayer dollars go to fake distractions (i.e. Border wall "emergency"). He watches Fox news and plays golf and tweets.

He is not a PRESIDENT of anything other than his own personal real estate portfolio and the Trump "brand".

Its a sad statement about the politics in this country. We are now the butt end of a bad joke - and that joke is Trump. I never thought I would see this during my lifetime.

The bar hasn't just been lowered - the bar has been destroyed. We are hitting rock bottom. He makes Bill Clinton look like a God.
  • edited April 2019
    "The bar hasn't just been lowered - the bar has been destroyed."

Look, there's absolutely no question that Trump is a snake, a con-man, a compulsive liar, and that he has likely inflicted permanent damage on expectations of reasonable probity in the presidential office. It's also reasonable to be highly suspicious of anyone who voluntarily puts themselves in proximity to this back-stabbing rodent.

That being a given, my point is simply that while Barr obviously exercises poor judgement in his choice of companions, his conduct so far as AG does not seem to be particularly egregious.

Well, I knew that this opinion wouldn't be universal, or even particularly popular. That's the way it goes.
  • OJ, in fact his conduct could hardly be more egregious; this is only one of a dozen such analyses:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/04/18/what-attorney-general-barr-buried-misrepresented-or-ignored-clearing-trump
  • edited April 2019
    Yes, I subscribe to the Washington Post, and have read most of their reporting, commentary, and analysis. As mathematicians frequently say, "Correcting for "x", the result is "y"." In this case, correcting for the WP's obvious and undeniable bias, I'm not particularly impressed by their comments. They have their opinion, I have mine.

Frankly, I much preferred the Washington Post before this lopsided and totally predictable coverage slant, which I suppose partially has it's roots in the well-documented Trump vs Bezos personal feud. In a very sad way, Trump, by his unremitting attacks on the press in general and the Post in particular, has antagonized them into a position of unremitting hostility, effectively degrading the objectivity of their coverage, and thus creating the very thing that he originally accused them of.

• Fair and Balanced?

Here is a list of the articles and commentary currently appearing on the front page of the Washington Post. It's as if there's nothing else happening in the entire world that's worth reporting. In my opinion, by falling into his trap, Trump has effectively destroyed one of our best national newspapers. It's like reading a mirror image of Breitbart "News".

• Paranoia, lies and fear: Trump’s presidency laid bare in report

• Nadler vows to hold ‘major’ hearings on Mueller findings

• What Barr said vs. what the Mueller report said

• Opinion | The Mueller report is riddled with Trump's lies and manipulation

• Eight Trump aides who Mueller says resisted Trump to protect themselves

• ‘Your boss lied’: Sanders, Gidley face different questions on CNN, Fox News

• Trump is a cancer on the presidency. Congress should remove him.

• The Mueller report puts it beyond dispute: Trump is profoundly corrupt

• It’s now impeachment or bust. As it should be.

• William Barr’s incredibly misleading words

• Democratic wavering over impeachment is a moral and political disaster

• George Conway: Trump is a cancer on the presidency. Congress should remove him.

• Experts see a winner in the turmoil over the Mueller probe: Putin
  • And the "false equivalency" would be?
  • edited April 2019
    Think Robert Francis win 2020 no doubts/hands down iwn base on these MODIFIED FACTS
  • Thus we descend into chaos.
  • Paul Waldman WaPo may have the best short summary yet:

There are some things that were matters of dispute or insufficiently documented before but are no longer in question.

- Vladimir Putin very much wanted Trump to become president of the United States, and undertook a comprehensive campaign to make sure it happened.

- Trump, his family, and his campaign may not have set up a criminal conspiracy to cooperate with Russia, but they were eager to accept the help.

- The president’s attempts to obstruct justice were comprehensive and far-reaching.

- Everyone around the president, and the president himself, acted as though they had something to hide.

- Trump regularly instructs aides to lie to the public.

- Nearly everything Trump called “fake news” turned out to be true.

- Trump has no concern about whether his actions are illegal or unethical.
  • edited April 2019
    Well Gents: Digest this if you will ... Please. Thank you.

In short words ... The Muller Report looks bad for Obama. All this mess took place under his watch as Commander in Chief. And, he did nothing about it or to stop it! But, it seems he did created a cover up because of his inaction, according to CNN. (See article linked below).

My 2cents. This still boils down to who is the most believable. For me, it seems the Democrats tried to make Trump an escape goat for President Obama's inaction with Russia meddling in the election. Plus, the Dems lost and still to this day they are chapped about it. But, they should have known better and run a stronger candidate in the first place. I'm a registered Democrat voter and there was just no way I was going to vote for Hillary. Seems there was also a good number of other voters with this same posture as a vote for Trump was a vote against Hillary.

In addition, I'm thinking, both Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Shumer need to go along with my Congresswoman, Alma Adams.

By the way ... I'm a Democrat that supports completing the Border Wall that construction started under President Bush and continued under President Obama. So, why is it that Pelosi, Shumer and Adams now think the wall is such a bad idea now that Trump is President? Seems, to me, they are playing (what boils down to) a political satire card of sour grapes.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/04/19/opinions/mueller-report-obama-jennings/index.html
  • edited April 2019
    @_oldskeet thx for sharing
    They are predicting massive influx at Texas border. Wifey is very concerned about limited laws and crime rates at very high where we live. Think we are likely to place a large fence in our home soon along w increased security measures. We are not racists nor anything but our Hispanic friends have same concerns. It's just new personnel do not really understand the laws. There are many good people out there but also have bad apples in a good pod. She personally saw an African American person got robbed at shopping center but everyone was just watching and waiting even the guards and waiting for police to come due to concerns of being sued by the robber

Be very careful if you live in large cities or suburbs near large cities... We heard so many bad stories citizens got clobbered /robbed in daylights near these places and police won't do anything unless someone get murdered

• @johnN: suggest you & wife get NRA patches & wear them when you are out & about.
    Like putting home security sign on your property.
    Happy Easter to All, Derf
  • @Skeet,
    This dishonest article ignores McConnell (whom the author used to work for) and GOP blocking the bipartisan rebuke the situation warranted.
    Suggest you also actually read the report, to see what it says.
  • Can't copy-and-paste anything from the report. The .pdf format stinks. The document is more than convincing, though. There is a corrupt and inept, conscience-less sac of pus living in the White House.
  • @davidmoran. Thanks for the tip.

• He is not a PRESIDENT of anything other than his own personal real estate portfolio and the Trump "brand".

Is he not the President of the United States?

• Well, not MINE. Trump = criminal spooge with no conscience.
  • Are you not a citizen of the united States, Crash?

I understand that you don't like him, but yeah, he's your President.

• dryflower said:

Are you not a citizen of the united States, Crash?

I understand that you don't like him, but yeah, he's your President.

I can go to live here, whenever I may choose.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/Eirepas.JPG
  • Ok, so if you are a citizen of Ireland, then indeed, he is not your president.

For us who are US citizens, he is our President, whether we like him or not.

(Although, honestly, I don't know how anyone wouldn't love the guy.)
  • Trump is not my president. He is an abomination and an embarrassment. And he lost the popular vote.