Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Anyone buying recently?

edited July 2019 in Off-Topic
Hello

WE sold bedbath and beyond bond, not doing much/did not gain much the past 3 yrs w/ this bond and the ratings were tanking

we added more vnq, vgt, vht and vpccx in sep-ira accnt.
added small portions of CIM-preferred stock in Merrill edge
otherwise pretty much idle in other accnts

we will collect little divs coming in couple of days sept-1st, don't really know what to do w/ them yet...
any ideas or suggestions or good funds you may want to recommended would be appreciate

Comments

• I've been practicing the fine art of doing nothing.
  • edited July 2019
    Just adding more to my winners and selling my laggards in Bondville. Pretty much down to one fund (79%) and no secret what that is. A few odds and ends elsewhere mainly junk corporates. Looking forward to tomorrow and what the Fed does and says.
  • My timeline for beginning of the month purchases is coming up. I'll be adding to Wellington. Bit of a defensive plan for now.
  • edited July 2019
    State controlled price of Chivas dropped from $37 to $30 for a short period this summer. Added 3 to the stash. Dewars 12-Year went from $40 to $30. Grabbed 3 of those. A favorite, JWB, fell by only $2 - so didn’t bite.
  • We are far from out of the wood, thus I am building up my cash positions.
  • edited July 2019
    On 8/1 I plan to add to my PONAX position from my portfolio's July income generation. For me, equities are currently to richly priced to be buying at this time. With this, I feel it is better to wait for a stock market pullback before adding to any of my equity mutual funds. I'm fully invested within the confines of my asset allocation model of 20% cash, 40% income and 40% equity.
  • edited August 2019
    Sven said:

We are far from out of the wood, thus I am building up my cash positions.

out of the wood(s): No longer in danger or dealing with a particular difficulty, though not entirely resolved. Usually used in the negative. / Example - “If our sales stay strong, we should be out of the woods by the next quarter”. https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/out+of+the+woods

I concur with Sven’s woods analogy. / And from Robert Frost: “The woods are lovely, dark and deep ...”

I think we’re deep into a lot of problematic things right now. Hasn’t affected my allocation. But it was part of the rational for adding a small spec position in OPGSX in early March. I’ve pulled most of the spec out now, as the fund’s up near 40% since than. But still maintain enough exposure to metals to dampen volatility on equity side. Also - I sheltered my anticipated 2020 distribution (in cash) six months ahead of schedule to protect it from the unknowns. Last year I did the same thing and it worked, as second half of 2018 was miserable.
  • edited July 2019
    Delete
  • Nibbling around the edges, yes. Have too much cash sitting around and am still putting it to work despite keeping a fair amount of ammo for when things really go south in the equity markets...
  • There seems to be a lot of trepidation on many of the forums including MFO. Unless it is different this time, markets don’t top amid pessimism, apprehension, and caution.
  • Dollar-cost-averaging every month, same amount, into PTIAX. Just also bought minimum required for additional share purchases ($100) in BIAWX. Its performance has been like a wildfire in 2019. Not interested in making any major purchases or changes. Soon, gonna get my son (age 26) into TGUNX. Gonna be coming into a small chunk of money. Sale of house, proceeds to be divided among siblings.