Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Get Ready for the Return of Inflation Fed actions have increased...money...at a blistering rate

This article just provides a warning about what may happen in the intermediate term when the Fed and Congress try to steer things back towards "normal". (The author didn't note this, but much of what he discusses is occurring on a global basis not just in the U.S)....

Fed actions have increased the quantity of money in the U.S. economy at a blistering rate.
By Tim Congdon
The economists Milton Friedman and Anna Jacobson Schwartz demonstrated in “A Monetary History of the United States” that a collapse in the quantity of money was the main cause of the Great Depression. Hoping to avoid a repeat, the Federal Reserve in recent weeks has poured money into the economy at the fastest rate in the past 200 years. Unfortunately, this overreaction could turn out just as poorly; history suggests the U.S. will soon see an inflation boom.

Excluding the years immediately after the Revolutionary War, the past few weeks have seen by far the highest rate of monetary expansion in U.S. history. The Fed might defend itself by saying that its “shock and awe” tactics have given financial markets confidence that the coronavirus won’t cause a long and deep recession. And its massive bond purchases—more than $500 billion between March 11 and April 1—surely won’t continue at the same rate for the rest of the year.

It’s reasonable to assume that by spring 2021 the quantity of money will have increased by 15% and possibly by as much as 20%. That wouldn’t quite match the peak rates of expansion seen during and immediately after the two world wars of the 20th century, but it could surpass peacetime records, outpacing the previous peaks in the inflationary 1970s.

As in wartime, federal expenditures are rising sharply while tax revenues are being hit by the lockdown. Both World War I and World War II—and, indeed, the Vietnam War—were followed by nasty bouts of inflation.

Mr. Congdon CBE is chairman of the Institute of International Monetary Research at the University of Buckingham, England.
I don't subscribe but for some reason the link worked for me.....

https://wsj.com/articles/get-ready-for-the-return-of-inflation-11587659836

Comments

• Trotting out Milton Friedman--the last refuge for an economics scoundrel: https://nytimes.com/2009/09/06/magazine/06Economic-t.html
  • edited April 2020
    @LewisBraham It may make sense to consider at least part of the message even if the messenger refers to an academic theory that has limited applicability in our very messy and ever changing world. This is a "all hands on deck, don't worry about tomorrow" moment on both the fiscal and monetary policy sides. I am hopefully optimistic it will succeed in minimizing the near term downside for the global economy. Breaking the back of our low interest rate world and bringing some inflation back into the system could turn out to be an intermediate term impact. That's a possibility it may prove to be beneficial to keep in mind.
  • Unfortunately, there is not going to be very high inflation. They have been saying it for years already. The economy is going to be very weak, mass layoff and high tech will continue to squeeze legacy companies and inefficiency.
  • edited April 2020
    And the nat'l debt will never be paid, just rolled-over on paper, each year. All those wasted INTEREST payments, for......... centuries? A truly progressive tax code needs to be re-instituted. And we should not have to invest in JUNK in order to get a decent income stream, each month... Although the continually watered-down dollar: when will we recognize its value to be junk, eh?
  • edited April 2020
    I suspect the global economic recovery from the pandemic will be slow enough that a significant additional amount of fiscal and monetary stimulus will wind up being supplied. The larger that total amount winds up being, the greater the odds it will be sufficient to tip the scales to the side of inflation over the intermediate -- say two to five year -- period. (I expect history will at least rhyme.) It makes sense to me that demographic trends, technological innovations, and other factors will probably limit the upside for inflation. But, I think the Fed (and other central banks) may have new types of battles to wage in the not too distant future. (For better or worse, I don't expect the Fed will reduce its role in managing the economy as long as it has its dual mandate.)
  • I wouldn't think inflation would be such a bad thing in some ways anyway. Wouldn't CD and MM rates of 5-6-7% again be a pretty nice outcome for retirees? Inflation also helps reduce the burden of national debt, oddly enough.

I'm looking for the silver lining here:)
  • @MikeM- well, for us it would mean having to forget retaining cash, and jumping back into the markets to avoid purchasing power erosion due to inflation. Not a pleasant prospect at our ages.
  • Although outside of the topic of this thread, but in reply to the block quote:

@Crash

You noted:
    "And we should not have to invest in JUNK in order to get a decent income stream, each month..."
    You don't have to invest in a high yield bond fund for your mission.

Keep in mind with what I write, that I am a total return investor. Be it equity, bonds or a combination. Total return, is what really matters to compound one's money over time.

You are desiring to chase higher yield to have a decent income stream; I look towards chasing bond yield when it is headed down, which equals "price performance and profit" for the total return view.

Depends on how one views income stream and from where it arrives, yes?

You view that income stream comes from a monthly distribution of "yield"; likely from a bond fund investment.

I view income stream (when needed) to arrive from which ever fund holding I choose.

I'll use FBALX as an example, and presume all of the money we have actively invested, is in this fund. So, at this date; one has about a 70% equity and 30% bond portfolio. Perhaps a bit hot to the equity side, but any other balanced fund may be substituted, as with VWINX. The main point being, that long term performance of either fund is decent.
    FBALX doesn't have a monthly distribution, only quarterly for the bond portion and semi annual for cap. gains; and the yield is only 1.7%. These don't matter; as the focus is long term total performance of the asset.

If one wants or needs a monthly distribution from this fund; the desired amount of FBALX is sold, which automatically moves to the Fidelity MM account and then transferred to the existing, linked credit union account. Magi-co within a few days time.

Well, just another view of the process of not really needing a bond fund that provides a monthly distribution to obtain the monthly cash flow result.

NOTE: I recall your monthly monies are coming from within an IRA, if so; you're already meeting part of the annual RMD.

My 2 cents worth.
    Catch
  • Thanks, @catch22. Clear, very clear. Total return is the goal. From Trad. rollover IRA, this year is the first time I've taken anything out of there. It's all with TRP. Turns out my timing was fortuitous. (Sell HIGH, not low!) Holy cow, that's 4 syllables.
    ....Still re-investing everything, otherwise. I've got 7 years until age 72 and RMDs. I do have my eye on Total Return, and I'm happy with my portfolio. I pine for the days of 5% CDs. Simple, easy, insured, rather foolproof...... That one, single big chunk was taken from PRWCX. Feels big to ME, but it was just $4,000.00. We're in no tax danger. I'm holding up well, since the market's swoon. I'm into single digits tonight, in terms of the "loss" from the all-time highs back in Feb.

Thanks for thinking of me. DAMN this keyboard. I have to type everything twice.
  • so ... in the case of a balanced fund like vwinx, you'd be owning that in taxable as well as non, too, right?
  • Hi @linter
    To whom are you asking the question about VWINX?
    I used this fund in an example, but I don't find any other mention.
  • beebee
    edited April 2020
    Getting back to inflation... this article worries more about deflation in the near term:
    The author:

The mentality of inflation is tomorrow the price of a good will cost more so I will buy as much as I can of it today.

Deflation is the opposite. Deflation is more toxic than inflation. We saw deflation in the Great Depression. The mentality of deflation is that the price of a good will cost less tomorrow so I will wait to buy. In deflation, everyone sits on their hands. Investment goes into the basement and so does consumption.

and, a counter comment:

Friedman said, inflation is a monetary phenomenon. TVs becoming cheaper is a reflection of economies of scale, not a deflated dollar. Just like housing becoming more expensive is a reflection of decreased supply, not an inflated dollar. As long as the currency values are stable, then inflation/deflation is at bay.

I do think it's important to be concerned about the value of the currency right now.
    inflation-i-think-higher-threat-is-deflation/
  • edited April 2020
    Windward side Oahu: our State Rep. wanted to know if some more affordable housing should be built around here. My reply? "You have to ask?"
  • Howdy folks,

Bee is spot on, in the near term the issue is Deflation due to no demand for much of anything. Down the road, post vaccine, we might see inflation. So much of the problem with inflation is the gov't and how they report the statistics. The numbers are so massaged that it really doesn't reflect reality on the street. Right now, we're experiencing about 10% but the accounting tricks they use these days (e.g. which housing stat - own or rent?; hedonic adjustments, etc.). At shadow stats, the government has us at about 1-2% while John has us at 8-9%.

Frankly, the situation is so fluid and undetermined that WTF knows?

and so it goes,

peace, and flatten the curve,

rono

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/inflation-charts

• beebee
    edited May 2020
    Another read from Eric Basmajian on Inflation / Deflation Debate:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4340323-inflation-vs-deflation-tug-of-war
    The deflationary thesis holds more weight for three primary reasons.

Weakening rates of population growth and excessive levels of unproductive debt are two long-term structural forces that have been working to undermine the rate of economic growth, widen the output gap, create excess capacity, and exert a general disinflationary force on the economy. Both of these forces will persist.

Recessions exacerbate excess capacity. The current recession is one of the worst economic crises the country has ever faced. The rate of inflation nearly always declines during recessions and typically does not trough for years after the conclusion of the recession and the eventual reduction in excess capacity. A severe recession usually knocks several hundred basis points off the rate of core inflation, placing current measures firmly below the zero bound. The strength of the recovery will determine how persistent the deflation will be.

While the Federal Reserve has engaged in a rapid expansion of its balance sheet and the monetary base, both the money multiplier and the velocity of money will work against the increase in money growth. Velocity tends to decline as debt levels rise. There's no reason to believe the velocity of money will rise significantly. In fact, most evidence points toward a very aggressive collapse in the velocity of money, a force that will continue to negate monetary policy actions as it has for the last several decades.
    and,
    ...various measures of inflation expectations reveal that the bond market is currently expecting deflation for at least the next three years and rates of inflation below 1.5% for more than 10 years.
    Difference Between Monetary Base and Money Supply:
    Often we conflate Federal Reserve "money printing" with an equal and consistent increase in the money supply. This is not the case.

When the Federal Reserve buys an asset from the private sector, the Federal Reserve increases excess reserves, which represents an increase in the monetary base, not the money supply.
    https://static.seekingalpha.com/uploads/2020/4/23/48075864-15876672613202152_origin.png

High Level of Unproductive Debt:
    High levels of debt are often misunderstood. Commonly, we hear that debt levels are getting too high and that inflation will ensue. The data actually proves that higher levels of debt, particularly unproductive debt that does not generate an income stream, leads to deflation, not inflation.
    Unemployment Factors:
    In the prior two recessions, it took 47 months and 75 months, respectively, to regain the number of jobs that were lost. In this recession, the number of job losses will erase upwards of 20 million paychecks based on preliminary data from the report of the initial claims.
    On Assets to Hold:
    Gold can perform well during periods of inflation or periods of deflation. The direction of real rates tends to be a more critical factor. As such, my analysis suggests a combination of Treasury bonds, gold, and higher than normal levels of cash is the best way to move forward in the current environment.