Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Wealthtrack - Weekly Investment Show - with Consuelo Mack

beebee
edited April 2020 in Fund Discussions
One of Ted's weekly links that I regularly open was Wealthtrack with Consuelo Mack.

Bookmark this link if you also like these weekly interviews.

https://wealthtrack.com/

Comments

• beebee
    edited December 2019
    Some recent Shows:
    Part 1:

Part 2:

• December 13th Show:

• December 20th Show:

• @bee, Thank you. Matthew McLennan and Ed Hyman's interview was particularly informative. McLennan's First Eagle Global fund, SGIIX, is doing well this year with YTD return 19.8% while holding 14% cash.
  • This thread illustrates the diversity of thought of guests appearing on this program. I look forward to the annual visit from Matthew McLennan and Ed Hymann because it is loaded with worthwhile information about the economy and markets. The prior show entitled "Failing Retirement" made some good points (especially by Teresa Ghilarducci but I certainly didn't agree with Jamie Hopkins's recommendation of "Fixed indexed annuities" for ones fixed income allocation (due to the outrageous fees generally associated with the product). And having David Rosenberg the weeks before served as a good counterbalance to the generally bullish views of McLennan and Hymann.
    I like the show but find it a little creepy that the show's sponsors are often associated with guests who appear on the shows. I don't think Lewis Rukeyser's show ever took money from companies represented by panelists or guests, and in my view this gave the program "Wall Street Week" more credibility which will probably be unmatched in my lifetime.
  • December 27th Program - Part 2

• January 10th

• January 17th

• Janurary 24, 2020

• Thanks for the link bee.
    Derf
  • @bee. Thank you. Look like I got homework for the weekend.
  • beebee
    edited February 2020
    February 7th Episode:

• Feb 14th Episode:

• Just like anything else you read here and elsewhere. Got to do your homework and ascertain whether the data make sense.

Rupal Bhansali's Arial International fund is fair on its 3 and 5 year track record. FMI International is better choice with respect to return and risk. I look for consistency, low downside risk, and reasonable ER. Alex Umansky manages 5 Barons funds. Not one of my favorite fund family.
  • Feb 21, 2020 Episode:

Fidelity Study Link:
    fidelity/retirement-mindset-fact-sheet.pdf
  • March 7, 2020:

• beebee
    edited April 2020
    March 20th guest Robert Kessler on Raising Cash and Unappreciated Treasuries:

• Thank you @bee. some takeaways from this one:

Appropriate to sell stock here.
    Riskiest market since the late 20's.
    Long term different for everyone than 2008 (obvious 12 years later).
    Interest rates have been low because the economy is slow.
    Corporate debt on the verge of becoming junk debt and the banks owns that debt.
    Raise cash
    there are shallow and steep recessions, this one is going to be terrible.
    cash #1 investment.
  • Here are a few recent episodes:

March 27th:

April 3rd:

April 10th:

• April 17th, 2020 Episode:

• May 2nd Episode:

• May 8th Episode:
    In part II of our interview with financial thought leader, Jason Trennert

• beebee
    edited May 2020
    May 16th Episode:
    "We have to solve the biology before we can solve the economy" Erin Bromage

• May 23rd Episode:

• beebee
    edited May 2020
    May 30th Episode:

Also,
    A link to his 2013 Paper (Helicopter Money):
    Helicopter_Money_Final1.pdf
  • June 6th Episode:

• beebee
    edited June 2020
    The following episodes are all with David Rosenberg.

June 12th Episode:

June 19th Episode:

June 26th Episode:
    From where I sit, there are things I do like even if I’m not a buyer of the Dow, S&P 500 or Nasdaq outright. I still like growth over value; I like essentials over cyclicals; I like “Big Safety”; I like the “homebody” stay-at-home stocks; I like the long end of the Treasury curve; I like Japan as a secular Abe-led turnaround story; I like secular themes tied to medical technology and cyber security investments; ESG is here to stay; and my strongest conviction is in gold and gold stocks (silver too — “ poor man’s gold”). While the Fed may be backstopping the outer limits of the corporate bond market, I wouldn’t touch it. They are so mispriced for the current and prospective default wave, it’s not even funny. If you’re that bullish, just buy stocks. If you want to invest defensively and seek yield, look at preferreds, or the solid dividend yields in selective REITs, telecom with financial depth, and utilities.
    Wealth-Track_Breakfast_with_Dave_2020_06_24.pdf
  • July 3rd Episode:

• beebee
    edited July 2020
    4 Minute audio excerpt from Bezonomics mentioned by Bill Miller:
    https://soundcloud.com/simonschuster/bezonomics-audiobook-excerpt