Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

My Pandemic musical unwind.....

As strict as Roy was, in the Fund Alarm days, about inappropriate posts that were not about investing; he allowed (a few times) a post regarding music lyrics that somewhat reflected the investing environment of a time. I recall posting the song and lyrics for The Doors song of "Riders on the Storm"; which reflected the markets at the time (market melt, circa 2008).
I continue to recall song lyrics that fit the markets moods of the day, week, month or the YTD; at least for me.
I can't complain about our personal investment returns for this year; but, of course, the overwhelming backdrop continues to be the preventive failures and ongoing concerns with Covid.
So, my small musical unwind is linked below. You may discover some word descriptions that fit the circumstances today.

Perhaps you have a song lyric that fits these times, too. Give a share.

My nomination to date

Thank you for the indulgence.
Regards,
Catch

Comments

• Great song.

My pick: Sweet Caroline (at Fenway Park)

• edited July 2020
    Delete.
  • edited July 2020
    Also deleted. Folks seem to be getting grumpier lately. Must be all the home confinement.
  • edited July 2020
    Hi @Old_Joe
    @hank is now a delete message. Perhaps the lyric and my view of the words are not as hank read them. Tis the nature of lyric, eh?
  • edited July 2020
    We dodged a bullet here, just lately. And the investing climate is just as volatile. Jimmy Buffett, "Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season." (Alas, those in Texas and Mexico have been through a shit-storm.)
  • edited July 2020
    If I may add another: From February to March--- and beyond--- to the current day: From the depths and back, investing-wise. It's been a real "E-ticket ride," eh? These words from Warren Zevon come to mind.
    "Yes, she really worked me over good.
    She was a credit to her gender.
    Put me through some changes, boy--- sorta like a Waring Blender
    ."

I find that I must link to the webpage, not just the link to the playback video. Youtube doesn't like me anymore. Because I turned off all of its ads. :)
    https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=zevon+poor+poor+pitiful+me&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
  • ....A-ha! Here we go.
  • And there was the Linda Ronstadt version of this song (and many others).

"There are two kinds of men in this world. Those with a crush on Linda Ronstadt and those who never heard of her." - Willie Nelson

David
  • @dstone I love that quote. Back in my younger days, I'd have bounced a basketball through a minefield to get to her.
  • edited July 2020
    Under the theme It could always be worse ... , I nominate a verse from a CW song by David Allen Coe:

“ Well, I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
    And I went to pick her up in the rain
    But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
    She got run ned over by a damned old train.”
  • @crash
    "I'd have bounced a basketball through a minefield to get to her."
    That's a wonderful description of real determination!
    Yours?
    David
  • Yes, I also liked that one.
  • dstone42 said:

@crash
    "I'd have bounced a basketball through a minefield to get to her."
    That's a wonderful description of real determination!
    Yours?
    David

Laugh. No, I stole it from a classmate.
  • More music. This is fun. Markets go up and down. Impossible to grab the top of a cycle with certainty, and sometimes you get burned. Anyhow, "A Little Bit Is Better Than Nada." Texas Tornados.
  • That's a great song (featured in the movie Tin Cup) and an important axiom to remember, especially when investing ---should I sell now or hold on and hope this stock/fund goes higher.
    David
  • There's a growing and unfettered wall of dollars and euros (and renminbi and won, etc, etc.) under construction in order to fend off recession or depression. So, so VERY many countless dollars. They will be worth squat, inevitably, finally--- when that levee breaks. Here's something from Zeparella, by way of Led Zeppelin. Originally written and performed by Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe McCoy.
  • And now, said Mr. Obvious, THIS:
  • ...And some folks use it to make themselves feel good and important to other people:
    The Who: "Eminence Front."
  • "Your love is like a see-saw, baby." Needs no introduction with regard to the Markets.