Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Old_Skeet's Market Barometer

edited September 2020 in Other Investing
Due to the political climate on the MFO board Old_Skeet left. However, for those interested, the barometer can be followed through the following link. https://armchairinvesting.freeforums.net/ Then click on portfolio design and management.

Comments

• thanks OS current barometer is 135 which indicates overbought market.
  • Some sort of "split personality", I guess.

I was under the impression that multiple accounts from the same person were not allowed.
  • edited September 2020
    I never paid attention to the barometric reading - though I guess some did. But, I’m a bit compulsive about allocations. That’s where I see value in Ol_Skeet’s barometric presentations. I used to enjoy studying various ones found online and than constructing my own. Of course, you can break down 3 main areas into a dozen subsets if you want. Than you can break those down even further. I enjoy that academic exercise and I gathered that Ol_Skeet did / does as well. Does that kind of portfolio construction (or dissection) help investing performance? In an odd way I think it does because it pushes you to adhere to the structure you’ve created and removes some of the temptation to shoot from the hip, make impulsive decisions, etc. It also gives you the confidence to remain invested. Staying the course is part of the game.

As far as whatever indiscretions those who leave the forum may have committed, I’m inclined to go with The Gospel According to John / Chapter 8 / Verses 3–7 of The Holy Bible: “Let he among you that is without sin ...”
  • Sorry- corruption and sneaky dishonesty needs to be called.

Watching a poster have two accounts and to pretend to be two different people is just another reflection of the complete lack of honesty and moral scruple emanating from and endorsed by the very highest levels of our present government.

This sad little MFO situation is of course much less important than the current attempts of the president's political appointees to "spin" and even suppress extremely important data reports from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, but very much in the spirit of the current administration.

It's not a coincidence that this farce is being produced by a fervent admirer of that administration.

If this post results in this thread being shut down that's just too damn bad. Good riddance.

• >> “Let he among you that is without sin ...

'Let he' indeed. ffs.

So far as anyone knows, Jesus did not use incorrect grammar (in any language).
    Somehow this solecism has become widespread, while not appearing in any bible translation.

What he is reported to have said, of course, is 'He that is without sin ... let him cast ....' etc.
  • I would hope that we do not become distracted and lose sight of the fundamentally dishonest existence of this thread and it's corrosive influence on the long-observed rules of MFO.

If Old Skeet is allowed to have two posting names and two posting "personalities" then we open the doors to anyone and everyone to do the same. I deeply resent the Trump administration's pernicious influence and wanton flouting of the rules that have allowed this country to maintain it's democracy for some two hundred and fifty years.

Now one of that administration's advocates is attempting to operate in the same manner here on MFO. THIS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO STAND.

• I agree with OJ. Makes me wonder when identity #3 (Skeeter) will reappear.
  • edited September 2020
    Oops. I didn’t realize the link to “armchair investing” (or whatever) was posted here today by Ol Skeet under a different screen name. I’m afraid I thought someone else here had found it off-site and reposted it here. No. I agree that’s pretty “fishy“ if nothing else. I don’t believe he was officially banned by David (hope I have that correct), so I guess technically he might change his handle to “CecilJK”, remain, and abide by the rules and norms here going forward. (For what purpose one can only speculate.)

Can’t have it both ways. Either you belong to the mfo community, contribute here and abide by the rules or you don’t. Until very recently, O’Skeet was an exemplary member of the community. He helped a lot of investors. My thoughts on forgiveness pertain only to past transgressions, which I’m inclined to forgive. That’s not a carte blanche to continue unacceptable behavior.
  • Agree with you all. But I can't help but to share a memory: (THIS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO STAND.)

• The armchairinvesting forum is what I stood up after leaving M* a few years ago (when lots of ppl there were peeved at the site) but then dropped doing anything with it b/c it wasn't taking off. So it's funny to see him posting there -it's a blast from the recent past.
  • In another thread, "cecil" said old skeet wasn't going to post here anymore. So, guess his imaginary friend needs to post for him.

Very strange indeed.
  • edited September 2020
    Remember The Munchkin Man or Hombre_Munckin?
  • edited September 2020
    My evil twin, "Skippy," is always getting me into trouble, too.
  • I never paid attention to the barometric reading - though I guess some did. But, I’m a bit compulsive about allocations. That’s where I see value in Ol_Skeet’s barometric presentations. I used to enjoy studying various ones found online and than constructing my own. Of course, you can break down 3 main areas into a dozen subsets if you want. Than you can break those down even further. I enjoy that academic exercise and I gathered that Ol_Skeet did / does as well. Does that kind of portfolio construction (or dissection) help investing performance? In an odd way I think it does because it pushes you to adhere to the structure you’ve created and removes some of the temptation to shoot from the hip, make impulsive decisions, etc. It also gives you the confidence to remain invested. Staying the course is part of the game.
    I concur. I tend to do my own thing as my asset allocation process evolved from the old bucket approach while managing risk. Over time I like to keep my portfolio simple with fewer funds for ease of tracking and to keep the management fee reasonable. It never make sense to me to use multiple managers running the same strategy. Therefore, my major core fund is a target date fund (no kidding) and accompanied by with a handful of active managed funds and
    ETFs.
  • My evil twin, "Skippy," is always getting me into trouble, too.
    :) That one made me laugh @Crash. I guess we all have one of those.