Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Perpetual Buy/Sell/Why Thread

Comments

• A little while. It's only a year-ish old ... but as I said, it's the initial chunk, so if it drops, that's fine by me for DCA'ing. I suspect I'll be buying other stuff at 52wh's and averaging down on them for long term positions as well going into year end, but I need to start putting more cash to work!
    Derf said:

@rforno: I see IVOL at 52 week high. How long have you had your eye on this ETF ?
    Stay Safe, Derf

• @rforno, what makes IVOL interesting to you. I see it is categorized a TIP ETF. I compared it to the TIP ETF I use, SCHP, and surprisingly IVOL holds 88% SCHP in it's portfolio. It's dip in march was less but over all it under performs SCHP.

I do think DCA'ing into TIPs isn't a bad idea.
  • edited August 2020
    From what I can tell, its use of options in this arena means that the option gains/losses can offset the other ordinary gains/losses it earns -- which should, I think, make it fairly tax efficient for a taxable account. I'm also curious how their options 'special sauce' works out as well. And, for a cash-y fund, I prefer less volatility, too -- so I'd happily trade upside gains for lowered volatility during market stress. We'll see, though ... I'm not 'wed' to holding anything forever, and as I said, it's an initial position, but if it doesn't meet my expectations, sayonara!
    MikeM said:

@rforno, what makes IVOL interesting to you. I see it is categorized a TIP ETF. I compared it to the TIP ETF I use, SCHP, and surprisingly IVOL holds 88% SCHP in it's portfolio. It's dip in march was less but over all it under performs SCHP.

I do think DCA'ing into TIPs isn't a bad idea.

• Gottcha rforno.

• Inital slug of PRBLX purchased in my new Schwab account - will be DCA'ing in large amounts over the next several months. ( First transaction there)
  • I really like the Parnassus Core Equity Fund for the following reasons:

• Long-tenured managers (start dates of 2001 and 2012) who have over $1M invested in the fund
    • Good downside protection
    • Moderate turnover for an actively managed fund
    • Portfolio is not overly diworsified (39 holdings as of 06/30/20)
    • Good long-term performance

My HSA is invested entirely in PRILX.

• My sentiments exactly. By year-end I will have DCA'd well over the amount needed to convert the shares to lower-priced PRILX.

The only hiccup I had with them was that they held onto scandal-plagued WFC for too long as its largest holding - I sold out on principle back then, and bought it back for my Roth IRA the day I learned they closed the position.

I really like the Parnassus Core Equity Fund for the following reasons:

• Long-tenured managers (start dates of 2001 and 2012) who have over $1M invested in the fund
    • Good downside protection
    • Moderate turnover for an actively managed fund
    • Portfolio is not overly diworsified (39 holdings as of 06/30/20)
    • Good long-term performance

My HSA is invested entirely in PRILX.

• Added to VWINX today.

• Bought a slug of Ontrak, Inc. 9.50% Series A Cumulative Perpetual Preferred Stock at 24.85 (par $25) as it became available for trading.

• @rforno: All I could find was $69 & change / share.
    Derf

• That's the common. OTRKP is the new preferred (at TDA, anyway)
    Derf said:

@rforno: All I could find was $69 & change / share.
    Derf

• Bought today, chunks of SCHD, VIGI, MTUM and SWAN, all in my taxable brokerage account.

Beginning to DCA proceeds from home sale, still lots of cash to allocate in coming months.
    Best regards,
    Rick
  • edited September 2020
    Added vanguard 2045 and wellington fund.
    Paying uncle Sam -2019 taxation after attained Sept 1st Divs...Ouch
  • Added to my ENPH holding. I'm a believer in the future of alternative energy. Later this afternoon I might add to MGGPX.
  • edited September 2020
    Initiated a 500s likely starter position in VIRT this morning to 'play' the likely looming equity volatility surrounding the elections, covid, and general world condition. Solid company, can make $$ in any market condition, and pays a good div. IMO it's usually nice to be the 'house' in such situations.
  • I'm currently at 70% equities, 20@ cash, and 10% bonds. Early in the week I added to GSIHX to increase foreign exposure. Later in the week I added to an allocation fund EVT, as a dividend play. While the market averages are up, the breadth is weak, and EVT should benefit when the economy begins to find its legs. Also added to BST on the end of week tech pullback.
  • edited September 2020
    Busy day. Put in another small buy for OPGSX before left the house this morning. Will get me back to about 50% of what I sold off 5-6 weeks ago. Geez - at 9 AM gold was off about $15-$16.
    Looks like it snapped back to nearly flat at mid-day. Miners are all over the place, but only off .75% last look. The sell was at $30.08. Expect the fund will still be below that at day’s end. Sometimes after you sell something you kick yourself and wonder why you did it. Fortunately Mr. Market has played along with me on this roundabout.:)
  • Added to utility sector investments over the past few days by buying a little PNW, SO, and UGI.
  • edited September 2020
    Added to SWAN, UTG, FDVV, BKT and BAMBX.
  • Added to BST & ARKK.
  • Put on an April 21 20/25 combo spread for LORL. It has SPAC-like qualities and there may be some corporate actions/IPOs that drive the price higher. (This is a speculative trade, btw.)
  • Bought some LIT when TSLA took it down ( 7% of this ETF) I think EV and batteries have a long way to go. Although it is a single equity also bought Ballard Power

I am still very low on Equities until Covid settled. Am going to spend the weekend looking at all the defensive posts recently and come up with something better than a money market

• edited September 2020
    Sold TpC and ONTKA for small gains on Friday.

Admittedly 2020 has seen me doing more short-term equity trading than my usual buy-and-manage approach over the years, but properly-planned and -managed, I don't feel too bad about it given everything going on.

• @sma3, Our MFO contributor, Charles Brolin wrote a number of very insightful articles on the monthly Commentary as well as Seeking Alpha. Defensive for sure.
  • edited September 2020
    Added to SWAN, DRSK and MO (yielding almost 9%).
    Starter positions in CDC (VictoryShares US EQ Income Enhanced Volatility Wtd ETF) and FDL (First Trust Morningstar Dividend Leaders Index Fund) 5.5% yield.

No large purchases yet - lots of cash to deploy. Gonna chip away at it.
  • Added a little today to healthcare (THQ & BME) and a little to tech (BST & FTEC)
  • Still keeping dry powder untouched for now.
  • On Friday, finally took profits on 7 year holding PRHSX Performance has lagged and Sharpe Ratio slumped since superstar Kris Jenner left. Will slowly redeploy assets into SHSAX FSPHX and XLV over following weeks.
  • CDC and FDL look like nice options compared to HDV and DVY .