Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

QE, Wealth Concentration, And Political Risk

For those who can access SeekingAlpha, Lyn Alden Schwartzer has added another stimulating discussion. Really, such a good paper. I hope you find it interesting and useful.

SA Article

Comments

• I read this article the other day.
    It was very informative and well-written.
  • edited November 2021
    Exhaustive and yes, pretty interesting at first pass.

One might be inclined to pay little attention to someone in their early 30s with academic experience elsewhere, but she has an awful lot of hardscrabble to her life too:

https://obpedia.com/lyn-alden/

(bot scrape in part; the self version is https://www.lynalden.com/about-lyn-alden/)

Yet after all of her nifty thinking and analyses her macro conclusion sounds uninspiring (I assume her paid advice is specific):

... tilt my portfolios towards assets like commodity producers, value and growth-at-a-reasonable-price stocks, real estate, global stocks, precious metals, and bitcoin,
  • Howdy folks,

Hell, I think the revolution has already begun. Alas. The anger among the have-nots if visible and justified. No hopes, no dreams. Sorry but I see us headed for a bloody revolution. Again. Sorry, I hope I'm wrong.

rono
  • edited November 2021
    “Growth-at-a-reasonable-price” stocks? Is there a vehicle (OEF/ETF) with a mandate to invest in these stocks? Do all div growth funds fall into this category?
  • edited November 2021
    "Do all div growth funds fall into this category?" I don't think that many of them do these days at current valuations but they may contain a number of selections which hit all the bases when first selected.
  • Thanks @ Mark. I guess then valuations or not, one needs to look at fund mandate? I have heard this recommendation from money managers to invest in Growth-at-a-reasonable-price” stocks too many times and always wondered if there are any vehicles with that mandate.
  • edited November 2021
    GARP approach and term were widely used at one time. The approach was also tied to using PEG - or P/E-to-growth ratio and many managers said to pay PEG up to 1-2 (well, in today's environment, forget that when highflyers trade for high P/S, and some like Rivian/RIVN and Lucid/LCID don't even have S). But then the term GARP disappeared for a while and may not be recognized now by some posters. I think that most "blend" funds could be using GARP.
  • edited November 2021
    rono said:

Howdy folks,

Hell, I think the revolution has already begun. Alas. The anger among the have-nots (is) visible and justified. No hopes, no dreams. Sorry but I see us headed for a bloody revolution. Again. Sorry, I hope I'm wrong.

rono

Sadly true. +1. Not to mention cultural breakdown, and no sense of the Common Good remains. Consumerism and Individualism reign.
  • Alternatively, maybe, a somewhat brighter future possibly, in the tradition of DClinton, HMann, and Ike:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/22/opinion/biden-infrastructure-spending.html