Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

and the February issue is live in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

And thanks to all of the folks who made it happen.

Quick intros to Devesh, msf and The Shadow in the publisher's letter, plus bits of ARKK Snark and perspective on January.

Snowball profiles Intrepid Income and updates the bang-for-the-buck capture ratio essay from February 2020

Devesh begins what promises to be a long conversation on managing inflation risk and msf takes on risk ... uhh, risk. Charles's look at funds that didn't draw down last year (remarkably few) and did have a positive return; David Sherman's name keeps coming up.

The Shadow casts his eye on industry developments and Lynn Bolin echoes the "don't let volatility scatter your wits" theme in his piece of analysis paralysis and portfolios.

Some old features are - manager changes, funds in reg, launch alerts - are either on hiatus or wrapped into other features. If you'd like to change that or revive them, you're more than welcome to join the crew!

Cheer the guys on, poke them as appropriate, and join the conversation if you can.

As ever,

David

Comments

• edited February 2022
    David and company, you have made my day. Very timely and informative articles. Thank you.
  • What a great issue this one is. Well done, guys, I feel we’re in safe hands. Looking forward to the next chapter.
  • edited February 2022
    Great issue. Hats off to the new contributor, our own MFO poster, msf... I mean Mark:) Well done.
  • Looking good! Great to finally have @msf "out of the closet". :)
  • Good job. Looks like it will be a smooth transition. I printed out the 21 Funds in 2021 list to look through it more closely....CBLDX has already grabbed my attention....
  • @davfor. CBLDX has grabbed my attention too!
  • Warning: So did FAAFX, WBMIX, AQRIX, QVAL, IOFIX, ZEOIX.
  • A really outstanding issue. Thx so much to the new team for stepping up! I was really worried about losing the newsletters. Thx to David also for all you do to keep the site running. This is the best site in the mutual fund universe for good thoughtful discussion
  • Thank you to those past and present for their commentary.
  • One of the best issues ever!

Thanks to all. I particularly enjoyed reading Devesh's articles. Topnotch.
  • MikeW said:

A really outstanding issue. Thx so much to the new team for stepping up! I was really worried about losing the newsletters. Thx to David also for all you do to keep the site running. This is the best site in the mutual fund universe for good thoughtful discussion

+1.
  • So appreciate all those who contributed! Thank you !
  • @davfor and @Charles: Since you both mentioned CBLDX, I wonder if you stacked that fund up with the other one that made the "no drawdown" list, ICMUX? Both are short duration corporate high yield funds, despite M*'s categorization of both as multisector. What are the prospects for these two funds given the apparent unfavorable environment for bond funds of almost all stripes? Thanks for anyone's thoughts.
  • edited February 2022
    Hi Ben. Sorry for delayed response. CBLDX has less downward volatility, but granted less return since launch. I like the CrossingBridge shop and strategies ... they seem very focused. So far, fund is behaving as expected. Another fund I've championed for conservative investors is PMZIX. But it has not kept up with its dividend since Fed announced taper last July. Better than DODIX! Still, tough time for conservative investors right now. I do believe we need to normalize, but suspect the ride back will not be easy.

• PS. David typically only profiles funds he likes ... so, hear, hear!
  • How did this small bunch do last time Fed attempted to taper and normalize?