Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Dow today, from CNBC

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/13/stock-market-today-live-updates.html
"Dow rises over 100 points..."
But it HAD been up by over 300 points.
Computerized selling into all rallies. Been that way since a decade ago, or longer.

Comments

• edited March 2023
    The Dow was up +426 points around 11:00 this morning. Dipped down to nearly even at mid-day and then came back to finish +336, or just over 1%. I realize 1 day’s performance is meaningless and that the S&P (which gained 1.68% today) is a better gage of U.S. large cap performance, but still find the Dow of interest. Suspect it received the bulk of the attention when I was much younger. I get the feeling just watching that the markets are poised to break out on the high side. But - that could be just wishful thinking.

Other observations: I started watching TFC purely out of curiosity after noticing its 17% drop yesterday. It was up 8% at one point this morning but still managed to finish the day in the red. I don’t know if that was representative of the banks today or not.

Added: From the linked CNBC site: “The SPDR S&P Regional Banking ETF (KRE)
    closed the session up 2%, regaining some ground following a 12% decline the day prior.

• "Regional Banks." Yes. That designation covers a lot of territory. Some of those banks have a pretty big asset base, some not.

CAC down today. Camden Nat'l, ME.
    ZION up bigly. Zions
    CFG up bigly, too. Citizens
    KEY up a lot. KeyBank
    WAL up more than 14%. Western Alliance. Holy.........!
    BHB up 2%. Bar Harbor.