Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Morningstar charts not working

I subscribe to Morningstar investor. When I go to their pages about an existing fund and then click on Charts I am often told that it is an invalid symbol. This has happened with large funds (VDIGX, VFINX etc.)
Has anyone encountered this problem & hopefully solved it?

Comments

• PB-Big Bang Post https://big-bang-investors.proboards.com/post/34631/thread

This may be the next step after M* Discussions went private.

I can access the Charts on login, but I get the same message without login ("Invalid Security"). I also see a button for 7-day free trial of M* Investor, $249/yr after the free period.

It seems that the M* Home will have open-access for very limited stuff only - Articles, Quotes, etc (my guess). M* Investor subscription will be needed for other content. However, the new M* Investor Portfolio feature is still bad but M* has indicated that the old M* Portfolio will be available until the new one is at least as good as the old one.
  • I have had the same problem for months. When I contacted M* support they said cleaning out the cache would fix it. It does but only for the next time you chart.

It recurs constantly. When I asked them again, they said use a new browser or "Contact your local computer support person". That is of course me.

I suspect that they have stopped supporting charts on M* as they want us all to migrate to M* investor. Charts still work there, although the default is stock price. They do display "return" which I have to assume includes dividend reinvestment, like the old "growth of $10,000

@Yogibearbull

When did M* say they would make new portfolio manger "at least as good as " the old one?

They still do not support importing holdings from a spreadsheet, the most useful feature of the old portfolios in my opinion

They want you to give them your passwords for your brokerage accounts to import the positions which seems like a very risky proposition to me.
  • @yogibearbull

Thanks
    I think I read that last fall

Notice, Baranyk does not include downloading portfolio data from spreadsheet in the list of features they are looking to support.

Hopefully that is because he didnt intend this to be a comprehensive list. I hope so because that is the only reason that I use the legacy portfolio manger. I can easily dump all my symbols, shares and average price paid into Portfolio and get a pretty accurate asset allocation, stock overlap and industry representation etc.

This ( download) function is pretty easy to set up. A site I follow "Simply Safe Dividends"
    has been doing it for years.
  • Yes, I've run into the problem, @NumbersGal. I discovered that SOMETIMES, you can get the thing to show what you want to see if you put the ticker into the "Comparison" window. But I only found that out accidentally. I'm not paying for my premium subscription--- TRP is. Otherwise I'd be extremely furious. And the default time-periods just skip over a 10-year look. You have to enter that yourself, manually. But I find often that the manual entry for other time-periods doesn't like the dates I provide, and defaults to the first of the year, or some such. ...Morningstar has become cut-rate. When it works, it works. Trouble is, it's just not reliable. I still use it because I know where to look to find what I want. But even daily numbers are very slow to be updated. I have often noticed that Friday's statistics don't get updated until sometime on SUNDAY. It's a real disgrace.
  • M* Charts are working now WITHOUT login.
  • How many years later, and 'Morningstar' + 'not working' is still a thing? Asking as a longtime former M* user.
  • rforno said:

How many years later, and 'Morningstar' + 'not working' is still a thing? Asking as a longtime former M* user.

Others may not be aware of all the history, eh?
  • edited March 2023
    :) - Since according to @NumbersGirl this is a paid subscription service I guess you have a right to bitch. For the freebies out there - including some M* functions - I takes what I can get. M* did me a favor when they eliminated their free portfolio tracker. What I use now, for only a few dollars a month from Apple’s app store, is light-years ahead of what M* offered. It’s been a tremendous help for this “allocation nerd”.
  • @hank

what is the app?
  • edited March 2023
    @sma3 - LINK (Direct link to the IOS / Portfolio Trader Stock Tracker website.)

Also, here’s a link to a MFO Discussion last June after M* announced an end to the free tracker.

In my second comment beginning “Not a website. But $1.99 a month gets you a fantastic tracker …” I described the tracker. Further into the discussion some were having trouble locating it (some had the wrong app) and I tried to further describe it.

So after 8+ months I’m still in awe. It’s never failed to produce accurate up to date pricing. The colorful pie-charts it automatically produces allow 2 different way to look at allocations - in numbers or percentages (just tap the screen). I’ll say it is a “pistol” to learn. As I mentioned in one post, I spent several hours one weekend playing around with it before inputting real data. It would be easy to get discouraged and give up.

A glimpse into how I use it: I have 4 overall sleeves - Growth, Income, Alternatives, Hedges. Each sleeve appears in aggregate on a combined pie chart w / % or sum. Then each of those subsets has its own pie chart which is further broken down into the funds or stocks held inside. Have only sent off 1 question to support. It came back within 24 hours with actually more information than requested. One more nice feature is that it automatically syncs across all your IOS devices. Password protected of course.
  • @hank

looks good

can you import portfolios from excel or text file?
  • In my email: a correction notice from wonderful Morningstar. I don't even think I was affected, because I never use the "My View" feature, and don't use the phone for data.
    The text:

Dear Morningstar Customer,

We wanted to make you aware of a recent error you may have encountered.

Between February 2022 and March 2023, Morningstar displayed incorrect Analyst Ratings for a subset of Funds and ETFs. The incorrect Analyst Ratings would have been visible to users in the Desktop "My View" or the Mobile App "Portfolio View.” The issue has since been corrected.

During the same period, ratings were displayed correctly within the default Tracking view in legacy Portfolio Manager, as well as on the securities’ quote pages.

Should you have questions, please contact our support team at
    (312) 424-4288.

Thank you,

The Morningstar Investor team
  • edited March 2023
    I have to ask since this tropic comes up often. Why does a Schwab or Fidelity person, which I think a majority of us are, care about M*? There are pretty good tools in each brokerage. And for fund analysis, MFO is "really" good. Maybe the best if you have Premium. I haven't used M* directly in years. Am I missing something?

You get what you pay for.

• edited March 2023
    sma3 said:

@hank

looks good

can you import portfolios from excel or text file?

Sorry so late @sma3 / Just noticed your comment, That’s an area I don’t play with. There is an option in settings to import or export files. It provides a web address to log into for that purpose. So I’d guess you could do that with Excel. The developers don’t seem to have overlooked much. After downloading the free limited version you could probably fire off that question to support using the imbedded support link.
  • MikeM said:

I have to ask since this tropic comes up often. Why does a Schwab or Fidelity person, which I think a majority of us are, care about M*? There are pretty good tools in each brokerage. And for fund analysis, MFO is "really" good. Maybe the best if you have Premium. I haven't used M* directly in years. Am I missing something?

I'm using Premium, but not paying. Morningstar today leaves a lot to be desired. But give them an extra day or two, and their numbers most often catch-up to reality. At this point, I continue to use Morningstar because of the convenience of knowing my way around the website. I can quickly navigate to the particular item I want to look at. There ARE some factoids which M* includes, which I never see elsewhere--- like the rank among peers in terms of the performance of Fund X, whatever fund it is that you're looking at. ...Ah, but there are often mismatches: Morningstar slides Fund A or B or C in together with other funds where it doesn't truly belong.

Nothing's perfect. They really have screwed up their own charts. Klunky, not user-friendly. "Progress." "New and Improved." Crap.
  • edited March 2023
    MikeM said:

I find their FundInvestor/ETFInvestor newsletters, mutual fund reports, and X-Ray to be of value.
    M* Investment Research Center (provided by local library system) is my portal for these products.