Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

“Death and Destruction” comment …

edited March 2023 in Off-Topic
Two different levels of justice in this nation? I suspect you or I would be in handcuffs and facing felony charges in court if we were already subject of a lengthy criminal investigation and we publicly made such a remark.

Article: Alvin Bragg Threatened as Trump Warns of ‘Death and Destruction

For some perspective, both Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton faced investigations and potential criminal charges. I can’t remember either ever making such a remark - or for that matter denigrating the legal process. Now, how big a creep do you need to be to make Nixon look good?

Comments

• hank said:

Two different levels of justice in this nation? I suspect you or I would be in handcuffs and facing felony charges in court if we were already subject of a lengthy criminal investigation and we publicly made such a remark.

Article: Alvin Bragg Threatened as Trump Warns of ‘Death and Destruction

For some perspective, both Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton faced investigations and potential criminal charges. I can’t remember either ever making such a remark - or for that matter denigrating the legal process. Now, how big a creep do you need to be to make Nixon look good?

Your ending question frames it very well!
  • "Now, how big a creep do you need to be to make Nixon look good?"

Ummmmm... lemme try here... really, really big?
  • I think you mean bigly.
  • Yeah.. yeah... that's it!
  • Did/does Trump actually say "bigly"? I heard it as "big league".
  • edited March 2023
    Lot's of different opinions on that. Trump has been known to use "big league" in written material, but evidently not "bigly" (which is, actually, in the dictionary as an accepted word).
  • I am surprise-a-fied.
    Old_Joe said:

Lot's of different opinions on that. Trump has been known to use "big league" in written material, but evidently not "bigly" (which is, actually, in the dictionary as an accepted word).

• bigly
    adverb

• boastfully; haughtily: He pronounces his opinions bigly, as if they are divine mandates.
    • strongly, with great force.
    • in a blustering or boastful manner; haughtily.
    • in a tumid, swelling, blustering manner; haughtily; violently.

Sounds about right...
  • when is that orange rat-fart going to effing jail??????!!!!!
  • edited March 2023
    Well, whatever you call it, it’s proven you can round up enough unprincipled jerks from among a population of 333 million people to fill a stadium somewhere in Texas. Before cable news and the internet such a feat would have been highly unlikely. But s*** flows rapidly nowadays.

The same phenomenon (attack on democratic governance) seems to be occurring frequently in other parts of the world as well.
  • Remember that non-voters unknowingly assist this slide towards fascism and autocracy!