Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Wagner chief Prigozhin declares war on Russian military leadership, says ‘we will destroy everything

2»

Comments

• "Russia is a gang-ocracy, through and through. Violence, extortion, graft, tribute, blackmail, murder, EVERYWHERE, right down to the local Alderman."

Sounds positively Trumpian.
  • Interesting analysis in today’s Times suggesting the rebellion was really a sign of the increasing weakness of Mr P and his Wagner Group. Does not sound as though he is gaining power, but losing it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/27/world/europe/prigozhin-wagner-russia-putin.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare
  • edited June 2023
    Thanks @BenWP

On another note …..

My understanding from perhaps 3 or 4 months back was that the Wagner Group were well trained paid mercenary warriors operating with the consent and at the discretion of Mr. Putin. Supposedly they were better trained than the regular Russian army and well regarded by the mafia chieftains at the Kremlin. Also able to perform the nasty stuff the regular army would not or could not do. And, as Putin’s conscription edict has angered many citizens, relying heavily on the volunteer Wagner group was a way of alleviating some of that public disdain for the war.

Recent news and posts here have tended to dispute some of my earlier impressions. But I thought it worth tossing out because the truth may lie somewhere in between differing versions. I suspect the U.S. government has some pretty good sources inside Russia - and possibly some “plants” inside the Wagner group as well. Thought it curious the U.S. would come out strongly “denying” its possible involvement so early in the saga.
  • edited June 2023
    My impression of Wagner is many of the troops are ex-convicts, including Prigozhin himself. Some I imagine were political prisoners, but others are hardened violent criminals who may not like to follow orders. One can see the problems with creating an army of such folks, both the potential for war crimes upon Ukranian civilians and genocide and for a coup in Russia if they are unhappy with the spoils of war. It does have a might-is-right warring chieftain medieval feel to it.

Also, imagine the strangeness of a state apparatus after going through the trouble of trying and convicting a local murderer in Russia--gathering evidence, the battling attorneys, etc.-- then giving approval to a mercenary leader to approach that same convicted murderer to say, "Look if you join Wagner, you can go to a place where you can murder as many people as you like with impunity. In fact, the state will call you a war hero for it instead of a murderer."

https://cbsnews.com/news/wagner-group-russia-convicts-prison-recruits-crimes-murder-sexual-assault/
    "People form a complete absence of a link between crime and punishment, an act and its consequences," Romanova said. "And not just convicts see it. Free people see it, too — that you can do something terrible, sign up for the war and come out as a hero."
  • edited June 2023
    Stark, isn’t it?

I do wish the American public appreciated the work our undercover operatives abroad do and the danger they face if uncovered. If they did, there’d be a lot more hullabaloo over the issue of classified materials.
  • hank. +1.
  • A rerun of the "Dirty Dozen" on a grand scale !
  • Old_Joe said:

"Russia is a gang-ocracy, through and through. Violence, extortion, graft, tribute, blackmail, murder, EVERYWHERE, right down to the local Alderman."

Sounds positively Trumpian.

Bingo, OJ.
  • edited July 2023
    So they (Russians) raided Prigozhin's mansion within the last 24 hours and the man himself has not been seen since his last appearance in Belarus about 2 weeks ago. What are the odds?

Prigozhin Is Said to Be in Russia, as Wagner Mystery Deepens
  • The mystery deepens. Thought by now Prigozhin would accidentally fall out of a tall building.