Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Twitter is Now Also "Closed"

Twitter is Now Also "Closed"

Suddenly Twitter has switched from “open"-access” to “closed"/member-only access. In my quick tests with an unsigned browser, existing Twitter links don’t open anymore, but Twitter images still do (for a while? or, they are processed differently by the local sites).

FWIW, I will stop linking to Twitter stuff (that will just go to login screens).

The list of "closed"/member-only sites is long and growing:

Many news sites are “closed” (NYT, WSJ, Barron’s, FT, etc);

Facebook was "closed";

Among the discussion boards I am familiar with,
Fidelity FIC was always "closed",
and several switched recently from "open"-access to "closed"/member-only access - M*, PB-Armchairinvesting, etc.

Discussion sited that remain open include MFO, PB-YBB, PB-Big Bang, etc. (At PB/ProBoards, the option for "open" vs "closed" is by the PB forum operator/administrator).

But sadly, lots of "free" stuff on the web is disappearing.

Comments

• Good that you put “free” in quotes. Nothing on the Internet is truly free—shipping, content, etc. Only perhaps Wikipedia as it is a collaborative volunteer effort but it depends on donations. I would argue Wikipedia may be the Internet’s greatest creation.
  • Sites with "free" contents may be using your personal info for monetization and/or may bombard you with ads (so-called ad-supported).
  • I left Twitter last October for the fediverse and havent' looked back. Far far nicer an environment w/much better interactions and less noise/spam/trolling .... reminds me of the early days of the modern internet. :)

Reddit is also going thru convulsions right now too, if you're following that. Their community moderators suddenly realized that they're not 'in charge' of their forums but rather are voluntary caretakers of an advertising exploitation machine and have no real say in things.

Bottom line, in nearly every case, if you're not paying for the product, you ARE the product.
  • "The list of "closed"/member-only sites is long and growing."

So, that forces one to sign up with each site, even if one wants to just read. Most sites these days say one can sign in with "Google" / "Apple" or go through a multi step process and give the site all sorts of personal information to create an account with them, and site specific user name and password.

From a consumer privacy and getting hacked (i.e., collateral damage) perspective what is safer: creating accounts with each site or signing in with "Google" / "Apple"?
  • Your local library may subscribes to many fee-only news sites,which is funded by your property tax. Depending on the city you live in, the level of the availability varies.

If you subscribe to Apple News which have some but not all the WSJ, NYT, Washington Post and other articles. One year fee is $120.
  • edited June 2023
    BaluBalu said:

"The list of "closed"/member-only sites is long and growing."

So, that forces one to sign up with each site, even if one wants to just read. Most sites these days say one can sign in with "Google" / "Apple" or go through a multi step process and give the site all sorts of personal information to create an account with them, and site specific user name and password.

From a consumer privacy and getting hacked (i.e., collateral damage) perspective what is safer: creating accounts with each site or signing in with "Google" / "Apple"?

Just set up one 'dummy' account you use for news sites / forums - or use things like HideMyEmail or Apple's email-guard service. That way if it gets compromised at one site, it won't impact anything more sensitive in your life. The new login/authentication technology called 'passkeys' will probably make this situation much better in the coming years, too.

FWIW saying I'm more concerned about credit cards, which are more of a PITA to change than an email address. I use Privacy.Com to generate a limited- or one-time use Visa card for every magazine, subscription, or one-off site I might use. That way, not only is is keeping my 'real' bank/credit card accounts safe, but if I forget to cancel a service (eg, a streaming site I wanted to catch 1 series on) I'm only out up to the (fairly low) limit I set on the card. In fact just yesterday, I got notification from Privacy.Com that a # I used once 2 years ago (and had been auto-cancelled after use) was declined for a charge at a store I never heard of in Georgia ... so that only reinforces the notion that credit card # compartmentalization is a good thing.
  • I'm actually a "contributor" to Wikipedia-I've fixed numerous misspellings and grammatical errors over the years. Wikipedia is still a work in process-one of its main benefits is the vast number of articles. You can find an article on any baseball player you want-from Hank Aaron to George Zeber !
  • edited July 2023
    @BaluBalu, see this on signin via another a/c. Basically, your needed personal info is transferred/shared. This link says what @rforno said, direct signin with username/email and password is the safest way but you have to keep track of a new signin. I always use direct signin. Why create another source of data hack where a hack can take down multiple accounts?
    https://lifelock.norton.com/learn/identity-theft-resources/is-it-safe-to-sign-in-with-facebook-or-google
  • edited July 2023
    I agree with @yogibearbull.
    I briefly used a financial account aggregator as a test several years ago.
    It was nice to consolidate all my accounts in a "single pane of glass."
    While I liked this feature, the increased risk wasn't worth it.
    All my account passwords were changed after the aggregator trial...
  • Same here. I used aggregators through First Republic Bank and Schwab until discussion here on MFO a while ago. I got rid of them after that.
  • @yogibearbull,

I signed into twitter and was able to see all your posts, which is what I needed (just read). Then I made the mistake of clicking on the "Follow" button and your posts are no longer visible. Same problem with all 15 posters I tried to Follow. I get this message, "Something went wrong. Try reloading." Tried and did not work. Is Twitter down?
  • The closing of twitter may be the best thing to happen for American mental health in some time.
  • You be readin' my mind, bro.
  • edited July 2023
    Old_Joe said:

You be readin' my mind, bro.

hella cool :)