Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

For MikeM: Bills ask for help shoveling snow, and their fans are digging it

edited January 15 in Off-Topic

The Buffalo Bills’ playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers will kick off at 4:30 p.m. Eastern time on Monday. But first, the Bills put out a call for snow shovelers after Highmark Stadium in Orchard Park, N.Y., was buried by three feet of lake-effect snow over the weekend, causing the NFL to push the game back one day, from Sunday to Monday.

Anyone who answered the call got $20 an hour and meals. Helpers were asked to bring their own shovels, though shovels were provided if needed. And though it is taking a herculean effort to clear the stadium of all that snow, a good time has been had by all, it seems.

“It is all hands on deck. … We’re still looking for more snow shovelers out there,” Andy Major, the Bills’ vice president of operations and guest experience, told WGR radio in Buffalo on Monday morning. “We were hopeful that early this morning we’d get some of our best Bills Mafia fan base to come out and help us out. So yeah, it’s not pretty out there. We got three feet of snow. That [lake-effect snow] band hovered over the stadium the entire time. We were hoping it was going to leave us for a little bit, but it never really did. So it’s a tough one out there, for sure.”

The above from The Washington Post

And another pic from NPR:

And now this (good grief!) from The Guardian:

A Buffalo Bills fan sits amongst snow covered seats before kickoff. Photograph: Jeffrey T Barnes/AP

Comments

• Thanks @Old_Joe. Buffalo's football fans are some of the most diehard and loyal in the NFL. During a snowstorm last year that saw close to 7' of snow, a guy went to Josh Allen's house with his snow blower to clear his driveway so he could get to the facility for practice. When the team came back from an away game, fans cleared their cars out in the parking lot so they could get home on Christmas day.

I'm about 70 miles west of Buffalo. This latest storm came off Lake Erie. Being on the west side of any of the Great Lakes is murder for snowstorms. I think they got around 3' with wind gust of 60 mph. We're far enough away from Erie and only got about 2 inches. They closed the thruway from Rochester to Buffalo and many local roads, hence the game getting moved to Monday.

Looking forward to tonight's game against the Steelers. On paper, we are the better team, but the Bills know how to make most any game close. Even against inferior teams.

GO BILL!!!

@Derf, your Packers look great yesterday. I was cheering for them.
  • edited January 15
    No picnic in Michigan either. About to go out and bust my butt the 3rd day in a row blowin and shoveling. Like being married to a snow blower! A balmy 14 F and winds 25 mph.
  • edited January 15
    Looks like the game will be played in the brief interlude between storms; there's another winter storm watch posted for the Buffalo area for Tuesday-Thursday.

Go Bills! I want to see the latest iteration of KC-Buffalo next week, in Buffalo!

Meanwhile, in the N. Rockies, temps bottomed out in the mid-30s below, and today's supposedly the last day/night entirely below zero for now. Wild - it'd been one of the warmest, driest winters on record before this arctic blast hit.
  • @Old_Joe - Did you ever do any ice breaking when you were in the CG?
  • Only in drinks in the EM clubs. Thank goodness.
  • @MikeM Thanks for the comment. Watching Bills pass Steelers.
    It was a pleasant surprise watching Packers kick the Cowboys around the field so easily.
    Stay warm, Derf
  • edited January 15
    Old_Joe said:

Only in drinks in the EM clubs. Thank goodness.

:) I kind of saw that coming. Yes - “on the rocks” / rather than out on the deck.

I remember 50+ years ago watching one work near shore along with my dad from the warmth of our car . They’d swing a big weight out from side to side with a long boom to rock the SOB side-to-side. Pretty fascinating.

• @MikeM - Congrats!
  • Old_Joe said:

@MikeM - Congrats!

+1

• Now the Bills need to get by Taylor Swift, I mean the KC Chiefs.
  • edited January 16
    I personally shoveled a ton of Buffalo region snow for the 5 years or so I lived in Ellicottville. Ski resort town. Southern Tier, it's called. Enough for a lifetime. The lower spine surgery in 2021 relieved the pain from the damage done, shoveling snow and playing football and lifting weights and running footraces from years earlier, up until my move out to live here in the sun. NO MORE! But I still like to see the Bills win. A hardy lot. I listened yesterday, on the radio through the computer.

Mahomes will not be a pushover.
  • A Buffalo v. Detroit Super Bowl would be perfect! Disliked seeing the Steelers lose (long time fan) but thoroughly enjoyed seeing the Cowboys getting it handed to them.
  • Bills vs Lions. Someone would have to win their first Super Bowl! My best friend is from Rhinelander Wisconsin; hence I've always pulled for the Packers too, but Detroit has the better shot this year.

My son and his wife live if Pittsburgh, she's a native. A lot of trash texting early in the Bills game.
  • edited January 17
    @MikeM - you folks in Buffalo need to take a look at snowblowers. We’ve had them in Michigan a long while now.:) This one looks like mine - though ISTM the price is around $3500 today compared with around $2800 when I bought it a decade ago. Got a “date” with it again this afternoon. 5 days running … When will it end?

• :) @hank, we are well aware of snowblowers. I actually have 2 Ariens right now.

I'm a bit East of Buffalo, about 70 miles, and we haven't had the snow they have gotten this year. West side of Erie is a beast. I don't think we've had even 6-8 inches accumulation so far this winter. Hope I didn't just jinx it. Rochester is on Lake Ontario, and it also can throw up some heavy lake effect.
  • What exactly is a "snow blower" ?? I do have a couple of leaf blowers.
    :)
  • Ha, ha Dan. I've been to the San Fran area a couple time and loved it.
  • @Old_Joe : You have no idea what you are missing ! Have you had the pleasure of hitting the throttle on a snowmobile ?
  • Don't feel bad if you haven't OJ. Lived in MN most of my adult life and I haven't ever rode a snowmobile. Now dog sledding, well that's a whole different trip and thrill.
  • edited January 17
    Good to hear Mike!

S***. The first 2 or 3 days were fun. Now it’s a daily grind. About 5-6” every night day after day. With the wind that easily blows into 12-18” drifts. Got a “tracked” model. Nice. But turns kinda hard. Plenty of sore bones now after 5 days.:)
    Old_Joe said:

What exactly is a "snow blower" ?? I do have a couple of leaf blowers.
    :)

The difference is … Your can of beer won’t freeze in your hand using a leaf blower!

Thanks for the laughs guys.