Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jury awards E. Jean Carroll $83.3m in defamation case

edited January 26 in Off-Topic
The Guardian is reporting that:
The jury in E Jean Carroll’s second defamation trial against Donald Trump has reached a decision, court officials said. Carroll– who in a 2023 trial won a $5m verdict against Trump for sexual abuse, and defamation, over his denials–is seeking damages to repair her reputation and deter Trump from continuing to defame her.

Carroll accused Trump of raping her in a department store dressing room around late 1995, when New York magazine in June 2019 published an excerpt of her then-forthcoming book, What Do We Need Men For? A Modest Proposal.

Trump subsequently went on the attack, calling Carroll a liar and a political operative who wanted to drum up book sales. He has continued to do so, despite the prior verdict, including throughout this trial.

The judge in this case, Lewis Kaplan, said that the jury’s factual finding in that case would be accepted in this trial, meaning jurors were only charged with determining damages.

In her closing on Friday, Carroll’s lead attorney, Roberta Kaplan (no relation to the judge), asked jurors to award at least $24m.The decision is expected to be read in court soon.
Evidently the jury felt that the suggested $24 million was far too low: they have decided that the former president must pay E Jean Carroll a total of $83.3m:
Carroll will receive $18.3m in compensatory damages and $65m in punitive retribution. Of the $18.3m in compensatory damages, $11m was awarded as part of the reputation repair program and $7.3m was awarded for other than the reputation repair program.

Additionally, The Guardian also reports that judge Kaplan told jurors “My advice to you is that you never disclose that you were on this jury, and I won’t say anything more about it.”
Donald Trump was, as one would expect, unhappy with this outcome.

“I fully disagree with both verdicts, and will be appealing this whole Biden Directed Witch Hunt focused on me and the Republican Party,” he wrote on Truth Social. “Our Legal System is out of control, and being used as a Political Weapon. They have taken away all First Amendment Rights. THIS IS NOT AMERICA!”

Carroll and her legal team were beaming as they left court in a black SUV. They did not answer questions immediately after court let out.
The Biden Directed Witch Hunt had no comment at this time.

Comments

• edited January 27
    Excellent news! Is there any way I can become a member of that witch hunt party? I mean, other than I'm doing now. And can his base of (morons) support shovel out that much more in campaign donations (snicker) to bail him out?
  • edited January 26
    The Biden Directed Witch Hunt had no official comment, but sources who remain anonymous because they aren't authorized to speak publicly report that The Biden Directed Witch Hunt was observed "laughing it's ass off".
  • edited January 26
    Ohhhhhh … Too bad ….:( Too-ooo bad … :(

Some “rooms for rent” at Maralargo should appear on Airbnb soon. Anybody interested in vacationing there?
  • edited January 26
    I had already started a separate thread on this item. I was pleased to see the dollar figure of the penalty awarded to Carroll. Talk about politicizing the Justice System. His own verbiage bullshit is Exhibit A. Straight out of the G. Orwell "1984" playbook. Turn reality inside-out and pretty soon, the herds will start to believe it. Please pass the Kool-Aid!!! LOL.

...And then Big Brother manages to get us to turn on each other. THAT is the worst.
  • edited January 27
    Additionally, The Guardian also reports that judge Kaplan told jurors “My advice to you is that you never disclose that you were on this jury, and I won’t say anything more about it.”

Sad commentary of where we are as a nation. The Godfather was just fiction … wasn’t it?
  • hank said:

Sad commentary of where we are as a nation. The Godfather was just fiction … wasn’t it?

Yes, I had the same reaction. Pitiful state of affairs.