Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The message from GOP senators: Suffer, little children

Opinion piece by Catherine Rampell at WAPO. Article.

I guess it wasn't bad enough before when I said that the current GOP is totally dysfunctional. They have set out to become the gold standard of perfectly dysfunctional. Where do they find these people.

Comments

• I'm afraid that it's gotten to the point that it's hard to get upset by something like this because it's become so commonplace and expected that now it's just "normal". It seems like stuff like this is going down every single day, so it's become just a blur of stupidity, greed, incompetence, and just plain evil. Crapo... what a fitting name.
  • Not 30 seconds after posting the above I happened on this:

Florida blocks heat protections for workers right before summer
    Florida Governor Ron DeStantis has signed a law that prevents cities or counties from creating protections for workers who labor in the state's often extreme and dangerous heat.

Two million people in Florida, from construction to agriculture, work outside in often humid, blazing heat.

For years, many of them have asked for rules to protect them from heat: paid rest breaks, water, and access to shade when temperatures soar. After years of negotiations, such rules were on the agenda in Miami-Dade County, home to an estimated 300,000 outdoor workers.

But the new law, signed Thursday evening, blocks such protections from being implemented in cities and counties across the state. Miami-Dade pulled its local heat protection rule from consideration after the statewide bill passed the legislature in March.

Link to NPR Report
  • GOP House too busy:

agenda Monday, April 15, 2024
    H.R. 6192 – Hands Off Our Home Appliances Act
    H.R. 7673 – Liberty in Laundry Act
    H.R. 7645 – Clothes Dryers Reliability Act
    H.R. 7637 – Refrigerator Freedom Act
    H.R. 7626 – Affordable Air Conditioning Act
    H.R. 7700 – Stop Unaffordable Dishwasher Standards Act
  • @Old_Joe, you beat me to it. That is absolutely inhumane and lack of to common decency toward your fellow human being! Of course, many of these farm workers are migrants and some are not documented.
  • a2z said:

GOP House too busy:

How is anyone supposed to take them seriously?????
  • I thought you guys were just being funny. My goodness! Those titles actually are on real legislations.
  • edited April 14
    “Liberty in Laundry Act” - LOL

Those guys should know plenty about it with all the dirty linen they got hidden away.
  • Crash said:

a2z said:

GOP House too busy:

How is anyone supposed to take them seriously?????
    EDIT to add: remember those days when we got BIG things accomplished? Like the Marshall Plan? The manned Space Program? The trip to the moon? Civil Rights?