Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Judge Holds Trump in Contempt of Court

Holy crap. 9000 bucks. That ought to stop his intimidation of witnesses and jurors. (sarcasm).

NY Times:
Judge Holds Trump in Contempt of Court, Fining Him $9,000
The judge overseeing Donald Trump’s hush-money trial fined the former president for repeatedly violating a gag order barring him from attacking witnesses, jurors and others.

Comments

• edited April 30
    MikeM said:

Holy crap. 9000 bucks.

The price of Bibles just went up.

• edited April 30
    What took so long? I've held him in contempt since 2016.
    “The court will not tolerate continued willful violations of its lawful orders,” the judge, Juan M. Merchan, said — an ominous warning to open the third week of Mr. Trump’s trial. He added that although he was “keenly aware of, and protective of, defendant’s First Amendment rights,” he would jail Mr. Trump “if necessary and appropriate.”
  • Makes my heart sing. Don't take any checks Judge.
  • Good one @Mark

Now - Is there a jail big enough?
  • edited May 1
    If I were a Secret Service agent assigned to Trump I'd be a little concerned right now...

Maybe they'll let them order food from outside. Probably be pretty cold when it gets delivered though.
  • The SS can just go on 6 hour shifts, one shift per day. No meals missed.
  • edited May 1
    Anna said:

The SS can just go on 6 hour shifts, one shift per day. No meals missed.

How many shits a day would an inmate be allowed?

• @hank one per Whopper
  • edited May 2
    The judge would have preferred a larger fine but New York law stipulates
    a maximum fine of $1,000 for each count of criminal contempt.
    Maybe imprisonment would change his behavior?
    I've long said this scoundrel belongs in the big house not the White House!

"Except as provided in subdivisions (2), (3) and (4), punishment for a contempt, specified in section seven hundred fifty, may be by fine, not exceeding one thousand dollars, or by imprisonment, not exceeding thirty days, in the jail of the county where the court is sitting, or both, in the discretion of the court."

https://newyork.public.law/laws/n.y._judiciary_law_section_751
  • I'm really hoping that he shoots off his bigly mouth yet again.
  • Talk about cruel and unusual punishment how would you like to share a cell with that whiny sumbitch?
  • edited May 3
    @Anna Thank you. I think I misread your earlier post. Old Joe is right about maybe needing glasses. But I got a good laugh out of your response!:)
    Mark said:

Talk about cruel and unusual punishment how would you like to share a cell with that whiny sumbitch?

Ditto. And no female wardens!
  • And no female wardens! good one @hank.
  • I'd love to see him behind bars, but it will never happen. (Shit.) He WILL surely breach the gag order again.
  • Crash said:

I'd love to see him behind bars, but it will never happen. (Shit.) He WILL surely breach the gag order again.

I'd be satisfied with cuffing his hands behind his back and duct-taping his mouth.

• edited May 9
    Pity poor Stormy Daniels. According to this week’s court testimony, she had to look at him making an indecent proposition clad only in boxer shorts and then get in bed with him. :) Tough way to make a living.

• Ouch. True, @hank. Pass the McNuggets, will you, Stormy?
  • @Crash ; Good one !!