Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Open Thread: What Are You Buying/Selling/Pondering

edited February 2014 in Fund Discussions
Added Pfizer spin-off Zoetis (ZTS) and a few Kinder Morgan warrants. Added to Fidelity National Info Services (FIS)

Done for a while.

Comments

• I'm considering swapping my MFLDX (Marketfield) for ICMBX (Intrepid Capital Fund). ICMBX risk-reward profile is very similar to Marketfield's. Intrepid's assets are much smaller, and hence can be more nimble. I'm concerned about asset bloat with Marketfield. Lastly, Intrepid's ER = 1.41% vs. Marketfiled's 2.94%.

I haven't pulled the trigger, I am still investigating ...
  • Reestablished a position in QQQ and took an opening position in IYJ. I now have four funds in my capital appreciation account....SPY, IJH, PRHSX, QQQ, IYJ.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited February 2014
    bought another energy bond last wk Key Energy Serv, yield ~ 6%. Also bought AngloGold Ashanti bonds 3 wks ago. otherwise still contribute 80/20% w/ 401k @ work
  • edited February 2014
    Now that the S&P 500 Index is back above 1800, I am back to mostly pondering. If I was to do anything it would be to make a special investment in Europe. This is based largely upon the Moose's recent call. In addition, the US Dollar has been recently falling against other currencies. The puts a tail wind "effect" behind foreign holdings for US investors.

I have linked MSN's Top Rated European Funds below ... and, below it M*s.

http://investing.money.msn.com/investments/top-performing-funds?Category=ES&View=RATED

http://news.morningstar.com/fund-category-returns/europe-stock/$FOCA$ES.aspx
  • Bumped up my KMI holding by 10%
  • edited February 2014
    Want to replace some from LC blend and value funds with LC growth. I believe that type outperform this year. I could not find open MF that I like and decided to go with ETF. Most etfs perform like S&P 500 and I found only one RPG that beats the market now. ER is a little higher but return is much better.
  • edited February 2014
    closed a good year in MSSGX and moved, after a long break, to MGEMX -- my first entry into diversified EME space in the last year. just the other day, entered GIM at a discount. each position is just a bit over 1% of the portfolio. i don't think EM is out of the woods yet. but these will make me watch the space. not interested in the frontier markets at this point - a very hot recent topic on the boards, but lack of liquidity could manifest itself quite quickly if/when the flows reverse and infatuation fades. instead, have been building a european small cap position with Pyramis -- up to 2.7%. added to long munis which trade at higher yields than equal duration treasuries. no wholesale changes though, just tweaking here and there. sitting comfy with my porfolio and its volatility. isn't that what we all want to achieve?
  • Reply to @DavidV:
    I also added an LCG fund , TFOIX Transamerica Capital Growth,reducing by an equal amount my small cpa blend fund. Also initiated a position in ARII American Rail Car, which I believe two other members had spoken of a while back.
  • Thinking of dollar cost averaging into EEMV. How can I lose?
  • I bought a few muni bond funds on Friday to tamp down the risk in my portfolio (sold JAVTX) and gain some tax-free income. I purchased equal amounts of MITFX and SXFIX. I intend to hold them for a long time so I'm not very concerned with interest rates hikes.
  • i like kggax with david iben at the helm. it is a new fund but run by a stellar PM with a proven track record at nuveen funds such as nwgax, etc. with assets still low, i expect him to put up some nice numbers over time. there's a large play on the multi year hammered materials sector, and also upon EM. also keeping a close eye on rsqvx which david snowball has recently alluded to with a similiar situation, with the old bjbix team which did very well for a number of years, despite handling mega billions of dollars.
  • Reply to @Old_Skeet: I don't understand how Moose's model works, but I got out of Europe (EZU) ETF couple of weeks back based on momentum considerations.
  • Reply to @Old_Skeet:

i have yet to find anything that looks as attractive as DFE. you?
  • edited February 2014
    Reply to @Kaspa:

Hi Kaspa, I have no knowledge of the workings of the Moose's model. I just did an Instant Xray analysis on my three global sleeves (growth & income global equity, growth & income global hybrid, and global growth). Combined they are a good third invested in Greater Europe. With this, I am not going to make a special investment in Europe. I have some other go anywhere funds (found in other sleeves) if these manages so choose they can venture there.

Old Skeet
  • edited February 2014
    Reply to @linter:

I have not looked for a special investment vehicle for Europe. After doing an Instant Xray analysis on my three Global Sleeves I am happy with my exposure to Europe. I can understand the Moose's venture into Europe as he makes one specific investment venture at a time. I think he has made a good call with this one as I am too seeing much green year-to-date in Greater Europe. I have many investment ventures in play within my diversified portfolio ... and, if Europe continues its momentum then I will enjoy this without doing anything special.

Old_Skeet
  • Reply to @Old_Skeet: Hi Skeet, Just wondering how bad the snow & ice storm was in your area - and did you feel yesterday's earthquake? Regards
  • edited February 2014
    Reply to @hank:

Hi hank,

My primary residence is in Charlotte, NC ... Depending on where measured in the city we had form six to thirteen inches of sleet & snow and some ice. That was enough to bring the city pretty much to a halt. We had little ice damange where I live but there were a few other older neighborhoods with above ground power lines (like mine) that lost power for a day or so. Heck, I even started the generator just to make sure I'd have power should I lose my power feed from the utility. Rest assure if I had not have had standby generation ... I'd needed it.

Now for my coastal property in Murrells Inlet, SC things are not so good due to the damange the ice caused. I drove down yesterday and my good neighbor had already hired a contractor to clean our yards. Many of the pines lost brances and we only had two trees down with none hitting our houses. Some other homes had more damage and some none. The power company is working to restore power to much of the area. Since we have underground utilities in our heighborhood we have not yet lost power as I write. However, many of the secondary streets and roads are cluttered with storm debry. Most of the main roads are clear.

I did feel the rumble from the earthquake in Charlotte as the house rumbled and china rattle in the dinning room china cabnet. They say the center of the quake was around Edgefield, SC (not to far from Augusta, GA) better than a good hundered miles or so from Charlotte and further than that from Murrells Inlet. Interesting, there has not been too much on the local news about all of this. It seems to be more on the National news.

Getting ready to go outside (Murrells Inlet) and enjoy the day as the sun is out and we are expecting a high in the 60's today. It was down to about 33 last night. Currently about 50 as I write.

Thanks for checking on me. It is indeed appreciated.

Old_skeet
  • edited February 2014
    Reply to @Old_Skeet: Yikes! Glad you came through all this relatively unscathed. From Michigan, welcome to the Snowbirds Club.

Sounds like you had both the ice and the "shaker." Just add liquor and a few ingredients.:-)
  • *Stopped small incremental adds to VWALX (muni); will see how tax-selling season goes before adding more.

*Consolidated U.S. stock holdings into AKREX and PMHIX.

*Slow adding to TGMEX, TCW's new-ish retail EM allocation fund (but an institutional strategy for many years) ... $ from a much-reduced position in MAPIX.
  • Reply to @linter: I generally avoid getting into narrow subsectors for my momentum portfolio, but it does look interesting for sure.
  • Reply to @dryflower: go for it, and probably a fine idea, but the technical answer to your question is easily.
  • I put in a limit buy order for DFE, which I think gapped up on the opening. Maybe things will calm down shortly and I'll get filled. Kind of hope so.
  • Howdy,

I've got a silver miner play on that's very exciting. I've been scaling into both ASM and MGN. I earlier grabbed some PAAS which actually pays 3.5% and ramped up my bare bones holding in SIL. Kept SLW as a sentimental favorite being my one and only home run.

Don't know if you peeps noticed gold and more particularly silver, bouncing quite strongly. Not sure how long this might last, but the leverage is in the silver miners. The pm mining stocks lagged the bullion during the entire recent bull market and there is some pent up seeking of equilibrium in the gold/XAU ratio. Haven't a clue what it might be because of the advent of the bullion ETFs. Don't have any paper gold at all other than within PRPFX.

I had a all green board today for the first time in a long time.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • Reply to @rono: Hi rono, what are your thoughts on China Gold exchange? The Chinese Gold & Silver Exchange Society (CGSE)...1,500 tonnes...looking to tap the burgeoning demand for gold in China, which last year toppled India from its ranking as the world's top gold consumer.

brecorder.com/agriculture-a-allied/183:pakistan/1153935:hong-kong-gold-exchange-eyes-1-500-tonne-warehouse-in-mainland-china/
  • edited February 2014
    Reply to @rono:
    Good news with miners after hours.
    Coeur d'Alene Mines (CDE +7%) reports a significant increase in mineral reserves
    http://seekingalpha.com/news/1574911-coeur-dalene-reports-16-percent-increase-in-silver-reserves-12-percent-in-gold-reserves

Hecla Mining says silver and gold reserves hit records, shares +5.2% AH
    http://seekingalpha.com/news/1575851-hecla-mining-says-silver-and-gold-reserves-hit-records-shares-plus-5_2-percent-ah
    Own your PAAS also SLVP which is commission free @ Fidelity.Buy on weakness which hasn't been recent but weaker this evening.
    https://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSEARCA:SLVP&ei=sTEEU-DuJMajqgG5Iw
    http://www.kitco.com/market/
  • Planning to buy BDMAX at Schwab. It is no-load there.
  • Reply to @bee:

Wasn't aware of it, but not surprised. China has a huge demand for gold as does India. Until this past decade, it was illegal for Chinese to own gold. This pent up demand coupled with their new found entrepreneurial class seeking bling has resulted in massive demand. India's is long running as a substitute for social security/retirement for women.

take care,

rono
  • edited June 2014
    Essentially rebalancing
  • Reply to @hank: I think you make a good point. Time intervals play an important dynamic in portfolio gains and losses. The "time rate of return" or how quickly a gain/loss occurs over an interval of time seems worthy of monitoring and should be a component of decision making.

Reallocating quarterly seems reasonable, but I agree that outsized overperformance and underperformance may cause one to act (buy, sell or rebalance). I pull from an investment if I have a gain of ~10% regardless of timeframe...doing this right now with USAGX. I add to a long term holding if I experience a ~10 % loss...doing this right now with MAPIX.
  • I am following vgsix as Barrons thinks that real estate should be picking up and the YTD looks good for this fund, around 7%.