Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Good Grief - What A Rout Today!

edited April 2014 in Off-Topic
Every thing in portfolio down big today except WBMIX, which was up 0.3%. Not anywhere near enough to overcome the pummel elsewhere.

Metals, oil, foods, REITs, industrials, financials all suffered heavily.

Wake me when it's over =).

Comments

• CHS Preferreds up and BIP up. Otherwise, not much (ARCNX, WBMAX up)
  • As one might imagine, CNBC Hong Kong is all over the rout. Bernie LO and his new partner Sysan Li are trying to explain it. Makes for some good laughs in the morning.
  • edited April 2014
    Rob Arnott and PAUDX finally found an environment which fits their investment model.

Was that a bit harsh?
  • PRESSmUP said:

Rob Arnott and PAUDX finally found an environment which fits their investment model.

Was that a bit harsh?

:-) Not at all. Was thinking the same thing. He has only been waiting for how long for this moment? 5 years?

Anything with short or emerging is doing better and this fund has a lot of it.

Hussman would be another happy camper if it was possible for him to be happy about investing.
  • edited April 2014
    giggle. Yes, dreadful today. Two of three bond funds up: PREMX, DLFNX. (MAINX down a penny.) All else in the toilet. Portf. was down -1.11% for the day, 10th April, 2014. (TRAMX has been white-hot. Down just .02 cents this day, comprises just 2.74% of portf.)
  • A moderate risk globally diversified allocation portfolio with the typical 60/40, small/large and growth/value split would be down about .90% today. Calibrate your portfolio results and/or allocation funds accordingly regarding risk levels you/fund may have assumed intentionally or not.
  • edited April 2014
    It's the Japan thing that killed me today. MJFOX down -2.5% on the day. A little more than 6% of portf. Planning an exit from MJFOX...
  • The Nikkei is getting hammered in the morning session.
  • I figured...:( I don't want to cut and run just NOW. Worst possible timing. I can afford to wait a while.
  • I didn't do too bad considering I have a conservative global balanced portfolio - down about .73% today. Several bond funds (DODIX, MWTRX, THOPX, MITFX, PRFHX) were up while a couple others (PIMIX, RSIVX) were even. Days like this tend to help reveal which funds are more volatile than others, however.
  • MJFOX will already have factored in the 4/11 movement in Japan in today's NAV with fair value pricing. If the US markets go up tomorrow and Japan is expected to follow on Monday, tomorrow's NAV for MJFOX can be up at end of day pricing despite the Fri fall in Nikkei.

For people who know how to hedge, this situation would have been a good example to hedge than panic and sell at this point which is likely to be within 1-2% of a short term low for a bounce back from oversold technicals.

For example, my hedging with 2x inverse QID and TWM (mentioned a while ago in the thread on buying/selling/pondering) made my play money portfolio go up .20% today but the intent was to keep the portfolio neutral without a lot of trades unwinding positions in this volatile period than make money. It is trivial to take the hedges off with just two sells at any time.

There are many ways to hedge and some less riskier than leveraged inverse funds and it is only feasible for small portfolios or buckets (< 100k). I would NOT recommend it to everybody but would encourage the curious and adventurous comfortable with basic math to learn some hedging techniques.

It may come in handy even in some special situations like what @crash is facing that wants to get out of Japan in a downward trending market. You know that it is going to recover sometime in the future but don't know when. Further losses may lead to panic selling.

Instead, if you have cash that is lying around doing nothing, you hedge against that position ideally as soon as possible rather than after a deep loss and potentially close to bottom. An inverse ETF is the most direct when available at a level which makes it neutral (this is where some basic math comes in handy). This effectively puts a floor at the current level while you wait for it finish its slide and come back up when you remove the hedge. Often this is easier than unwinding positions and buying back.

If at some point, Japan keeps going down with no end in sight and another market is recovering well, you sell both equivalent to selling at that floor and buy into the position you would have made the allocation instead. This way, you don't suffer the opportunity costs of waiting for the fund to come back.

The risk is that it shoots up suddenly and so selling would still be at the floor you set when you sell both. But this is the lower probability scenario and even more manageable if you have a technical situational awareness.

It is simpler than it sounds and definitely not for every temperament but a useful tool to have in your investing arsenal, especially if you are sticking your nose out in high beta funds or making speculative asset or sector bets.
  • edited April 2014
    Thanks, man. For an amateur like me, it's too much to juggle. No spare cash sitting around, either. I've always been fully invested, like I am currently. I own other Matthews funds. I don't want to go chasing performance, but what do you think about closing my MJFOX and moving it into MSMLX (Asia small cap?) Not right away. I could move it into MAPIX, but am already overweight there. Or MAINX, but that's a different animal, entirely.
  • Take a look at ARTMX and ARTSX:(
  • Crash said:

I figured...:( I don't want to cut and run just NOW. Worst possible timing. I can afford to wait a while.

I said same thing in Sep 08, which was NOT worst possible time.

• Take a look at ARTMX and ARTSX:(

A couple of nasty drops, there.

• edited June 2014
    It's tempting - But can't read much into a day like this. Asia's following through in predictable fashion.