Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Great Chinese Exodus.

Comments

• That was a great read.

A real eye opener. Makes me less interested in investing in China.
  • Very interesting thank you for linking. Of the 100 million number not all are leaving.

"Today, China's borders are wide open. Almost anybody who wants a passport can get one. And Chinese nationals are leaving in vast waves: Last year, more than 100 million outbound travelers crossed the frontiers.

Most are tourists who come home."
  • edited August 2014
    I've often pondered investing in CTRP, but never did. Priceline did the other day, though. I think it's not not investing in China, it's trying to figure out what an emerging market middle class wants, which may lead you to investments in Asia OR elsewhere.
  • It is brain drain. I believe same thing was happening in India last century. As china becomes less of a democratic dictatorship, the situation should reverse.

The notion that only the corrupt can become extremely rich needs to come of their psyche. Yes, the corrupt do get rich, but if people believe their hard work also gives the, that chance, they will come back.

USA and Australia. I think my prediction will hold true and situation will reverse. Now if I see Chinese start immigrating to France and Belgium, that's a different story altogether. To me that would sorta signal the end of the world. China would just implode.
  • One thing that caught my eye was the richer Chinese sending their kids to universities around the world. In most cases, the parents will buy a condo for that kid so he/she has a good place to stay. These are high end condos. With tens of thousands of Chinese going to Australian universities, this adds up and impacts the condo markets greatly.

I have heard that London is a destination also.
  • One would think that China have learned from West on air pollution and its impact on health.
    http://telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/10646593/Toxic-smog-threatens-millions-of-Chinese-lives.html
    Saw another report that China want to go all electric cars in 2020 to reduce emission. Would that be more cost effective to invest in advanced emission control on coal-fire power plants and mass transit?
  • edited August 2014
    "... The main reason she's planning to pack up: Her 6-year-old daughter is asthmatic, and Beijing's chronic pollution irritates the girl's lungs..."

Sounds like The Philippines. Manila and Cebu, anyway.

"...Recently, Ms. Sun flew to San Francisco to shop for a school for her daughter, browse for property and handle the paperwork for permanent U.S. residency." Ya, people with money can do that. And the other 1.6 billion people?
  • edited August 2014

One thing that caught my eye was the richer Chinese sending their kids to universities around the world. In most cases, the parents will buy a condo for that kid so he/she has a good place to stay. These are high end condos. With tens of thousands of Chinese going to Australian universities, this adds up and impacts the condo markets greatly.

I have heard that London is a destination also.

Not trying to create stereotypes, but knowing a lot of people who live in CA, the Chinese are being very smart. They buy house not condo near universities where there kid is going. Then rent part of it out to other students. Their ward takes care property does not get trashed. Other students pay rent that covers the mortgage. A-ha! They have no trouble getting loans.
  • That makes sense since the US is not so built up condo wise compared to some other countries.

That is a very smart plan indeed. If priced right they would have no problem attracting students to rent. It is not stereotyping , it's a good financial plan.
  • Dex
    edited August 2014
    You all should read up on the baby hospitals in NYC and in Guam where women fly in from China or Korea, have a baby, get the baby a US birth certificate/US citizenship/SSN and leave - so they have options.

• Here in the Philippines, the families that are able will have the expectant mother fly to the US, mostly California where they have their baby. One reason there is steady passenger traffic between the US and the Philippines is that green card holders must spend the majority of the year in the US, otherwise they lose resident status.

It's all about options for both the parents and the child.
  • This entire post and conversation is very interesting, enlightening, and thought-provoking. Thanks much for the original post, John.
  • Dex said:

You all should read up on the baby hospitals in NYC and in Guam where women fly in from China or Korea, have a baby, get the baby a US birth certificate/US/SSN and leave - so they have options.

WTF! This is a new one. I guess child has till it turns 18 to decide whether it wants US citizen US citizenship. Talk about long term planning...