Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How 'Keynes' Became A Dirty Word

2»

Comments

• @John Chisum: Is that a hard or soft close ?
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited September 2014
    My apologies for (apparently) steering this thread in an inappropriate direction. I'm not a regular poster, so I'm not familiar with the de facto limits here.

However, if I may respond to one point without being too inflammatory, I have not had much contact with the poor in a charity-delivery setting but in the past I have lived below the poverty level for years, and even collected food stamps for a while. So I think I have some credibility from that angle.

I am very much interested in the market-oriented discussion that goes on here, so I hope my comments and questions will still be welcome.
  • timgr- Personally, I don't feel that your post was in any way inappropriate. There should be plenty of room in this world for differing opinions, without starting a religious war over it. Just because my perspective differs from yours does not mean that either of us is necessarily 100% right or wrong. To seriously fail in this belief ultimately leads to a situation similar to that now occurring in the Mideast.

Unfortunately, while I enjoy a good argument, not everyone here feels that way. Because of that I try not to initiate these sorts of discussions, but I do feel free to respond if someone else does. Carry on!

Regards- OJ
  • >> but in the past I have lived below the poverty level for years, and even collected food stamps for a while. So I think I have some credibility from that angle.

You certainly do. To me this makes your comments and tone and conclusions all the more surprising --- but I have not myself been in your shoes. You really should write and submit an op ed somewhere, I would suggest.