Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Morningstar Medalist

edited March 2015 in Off-Topic
For those who subscribe Morningstar has out their listing of GOLD/5star rated funds...worth a look Only 42 Funds out of 8000 achieve this rating funds......some good ones listed here

Comments

• Yuh, let's not.

166 Gold funds, a number inflated by reporting institutional versions separate from retail ones.

Well over 25% of those, 41 after eliminating dual reports, are from Vanguard.

14 Fidelity funds of which a total of one (1! uno) is an actively-managed equity fund (FSCRX) and it's closed to new investors.

18 T. Rowe funds, of which 12 are their target-date series.

31 index funds.

Of the 50-some actively-managed equity funds (I got tired of fishing out dual reports), three are under a billion in assets: Artisan International Small Cap (closed), Diamond Hilll Small-Mid Cap and Manning & Napier Equity. 19 are over $10 billion. 24 are closed to new investors.

Few smaller firms crack the list with even one fund: Artisan, Brown Capital Management, Causeway, Diamond Hill, FMI, Wasatch.

David
  • I'm with David. Things have gotten to the point @ M* where I would much sooner go with MFO criteria for rating funds on what matters-- usefulness, purposeful, benchmarking, and like that... until there's a change, I'm not going to spend another moment of my life sifting through the jumbled morass of their potpourri.
  • Couldn't have said it better. But I still use it. Heck! I just qualified for the freebie Premium service through TRP!