Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Open Thread: What Are You Been Buying/Selling/Pondering

edited March 2015 in Off-Topic
Decided to make a quick exit from CNQ and took profit, as I guess my view is that if (or once) the current Middle East geopolitical tension calms down, oil prices are back to square one and COP remains my core holding in terms of energy.

""The spike in oil prices caused by the Saudi military incursions into Yemen, has all the hallmarks of a classic knee jerk market reaction," Michael Hewson, the chief market analyst at CMC Markets, said in a morning note.

"We saw similar spikes last year with Ukraine, Libya and ISIS pushing into Iraq before markets settled back down again, and it is likely that these concerns about Yemen could follow a similar pattern."
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102539919

Took profit the other day on AMGN, which had run up quickly.

Added to UNP. Layered into CELG.

Sold part of RIMIX, moved into TRAOX.

Sold part of PRHSX, moved that into PRDGX.

Comments

• edited April 2015
    During the month of March …

I sold off my special equity position (spiff) that I open last October with a gain of a little better than eight percent plus dividends. This reduced my equity allocation by about five percent and raised my cash position by a like amount.

In addition, I have added a little to SGGDX, PGUAX and AJVAX. I am likening Europe and emerging markets due to valuations.

Currently my asset allocation for my portfolio is about 20% cash, 20% income, 55% equity and 5% other as determined from a recent Xray analysis. Within equities I am about two thirds domestic and one third foreign.

I am thinking that a good pull back in the markets might be forthcoming in the near term as we enter 1Q2015 earnings reporting season. And, if so, I will do some select buying. Perhaps, I might even open another special equity position (spiff) if the pullback goes deep enough and somewhere back of 1900 on the S&P 500 Index. I am also thinking that the back half of the year will be better than the front as excess in domestic stock market valuations are worked off.
  • what the f is spiff? is it like tranche? can't we just use words that most people understand? should i start referring to dividends as lagniappe? the more buzzwords we can do without, the better. that is all.
  • edited April 2015
    Hi linter,

A spiff is a sum paid for good performance. I call my special investment positions spiffs because if my thinking is good then I receive a spiff from Mr. Market.

I love getting spiffs.

Old_Skeet
  • Pretty spiffy, I say...
  • Reduced MOAT today by 1/3, will re-allocate to BFOR when price is down.
  • Not much. Looking at PM & more GILD in the considering area. Bought DTV in the new area because I've decided to take a position in stodgy old AT&T for my kids to play with after I am gone. Yes satellite TV might be heading for the dustbins eventually but not in my lifetime and think of all those new subscribers via the AT&T phone network. The NFL game thing doesn't hurt either I suppose.
  • linter said:

should i start referring to dividends as lagniappe?

Yes. Because that's funny.
  • Thanks linter, I learned a new word. And as Scott said, funny too. Now I need to know what is a spiff called when there is no good performance? I'm hoping that we can just go with 'splat.' However, no one ever talks about those.
  • edited March 2015
    Minor pruning of funds with not much stake in them.

Why do I still own PSPFX? I've given these guys enough time to get back into the swing of things. Out they go. Not sure if I will stick the proceeds into PCRDX to keep my stake in commodities or try to put it more into the international/value side of the house where I am a bit out of balance now.

Also thinking of selling some PRPFX, I still like the fund concept but their execution as of late hasn't been great.

And for that matter, FDIVX, there appears to be better international funds out there. I have not been paying attention to my portfolio lately :-/
  • "I'm hoping that we can just go with 'splat.'"
    :-) :-)
  • edited March 2015
    PSPFX is one of the most aggressive natural resources funds out there. When things aren't doing well in that category, this won't. However, I think the hit that fund has taken this year unfortunately has been particularly bad even for an aggressive fund. Frank Holmes is an intelligent manager, but I'd love for him to be able to cool that fund down when need be rather than simply all-out, all the time.

PSPFX's manager is actually public (symbol: GROW). It was $33 at the height of energy prices in 2007, it's now $3 and change.

Keep in mind when you buy PCRDX, it's essentially buying a commodity futures index,not commodity stocks like PSPFX.
  • scott, I agree, and Holmes not learning to cool down is giving me a bit of an ulcer. I'd say he's had more than enough time to learn. Sometimes aggressive should include "when there's a dip I'll have ready cash to buy" instead of "when there's a dip I'll have to sell since I'm fully invested."
  • Decided to take my profits in Kraft, of course that made it go up more :/ but have it in RHS and XLP. Added to my starter position in CTSH , added a bit to HDPSX.
  • Whakamole said:

scott, I agree, and Holmes not learning to cool down is giving me a bit of an ulcer. I'd say he's had more than enough time to learn. Sometimes aggressive should include "when there's a dip I'll have ready cash to buy" instead of "when there's a dip I'll have to sell since I'm fully invested."

I've meant to read his book, but never have. I think he's well-informed on the industry, but you effectively have what almost acts like an "ultra" natural resources fund. While Holmes has given me the impression of being very knowledgeable on the industry, it's almost as if there's no acknowledgement of the macro reality and therefore you have a fund on steroids that is either the greatest fund in the category (as it was several years ago) or a disaster.

I hope it will turn around and I think the thing becomes this: the parent is a public company whose shares are a fraction of what they were several years ago. I would think that there is some pressure there to try and make some changes in order to make the funds actually attract AUM and therefore improve the stock price - or at least one would think so.
  • Old_Joe said:

"I'm hoping that we can just go with 'splat.'"
    :-) :-)

perfect. now, if you'll excuse me, it's time for me to mellow my harsh and partake of a late-afternoon spliff.

• swap some GABEX for GTLOX and bought some MSCFX and ups .
  • @MFO Members: My latest buy, ALLY-B @$26.64 yeilding 7.98%.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://www.quantumonline.com/search.cfm?tickersymbol=ALLY-B&sopt=symbol
  • One week ago, VGHCX hit a threshold calling for the usual and customary 33% haircut. The timing on this was just blind luck. I guess that is one benefit for having a pre-set trigger point.

I am quite content to sit for a bit, but I think the divi payers who are down a fair amount ytd deserve some love, specifically Chevron and P&G.
  • Added to ASHR, Chinese A share is on fire in the last few months and glad having started the position in the middle of last year. XNCR is one of the small cap biotechs I like.
  • @Ted - I'm guessing that you're hoping to receive enough dividend payments to cover the premium paid for shares over the liquidation value. Wish I had your millions.
  • New to my watch list: iShares Exponential Technologies ETF (XT), which just began trading March 23. The fund is based on a M* index of the same name and holds 198 stocks.
  • As I mentioned in another thread, bought CMI few weeks back -- boring dividend play.
  • When ya'll say you're buying a stock like biotech XNCR or similar, what % amount of your portfolio are you talking about? Whenever I go to the charts and start thinking about the potential gains, I also start thinking about, well, how much do I have to put into it in order for even a fairly astounding rise to make a difference to my total pie? And then I always think, too damn much. And then I think, so what's the point? And around that time, I close the chart and move on. Is this not the right way to think about these things? Are you making bets of a size that'll make a difference or are you making a bunch of tiny bets that, in the aggregate, will hopefully amount to something?
  • edited March 2015
    Hi @linter

The below is relative to price trends, tempered by what we think we know, from what we think we see. The most dangerous proposition for an investor; but likely the best we have to work with, eh? We are gamblers, yes?

This doesn't always flow as planned, of course; and I may call this "investors lament":) , but we "plan" to either have a 5% allocation right now; or be at that point within a one month time frame.
    The least amount of time we would hope to be involved with the investment is 6 months for a meaningful outcome for the overall portfolio.
    A five percent allocation in the pure form, would provide 20 pieces of investment areas/sectors, eh? One must suspect this would bring forth as much diversification as is needed, yes? One's own fund of funds, be they individual stocks, etf's, cef's or active managed funds.
    'Course, as noted; the plan does not always end in this fashion over a period of months. Things change and price trends begin and end in various sectors.
    India, China, Europe, broadbased U.S. for areas; energy, broad commodity, bio/healthcare, for a few sectors; continue to be monitored.
    These are obviously only equity related. Bonds can be as rewarding in their various sectors, too.

Where this house is at today with equity:

---65% equity, with the below mix:

--- 35% healthcare/bio
    --- 15% broadbased U.S. (VTI, ITOT types)
    --- 12% Europe
    --- 8.5% real estate, U.S.

Well, anyway; my 2 cents worth, as reported from the trenches.

Lastly, our house always hopes that we remain more rational and less distorted than the market places into which we invest !!!

Take care,
    Catch
  • edited March 2015
    No changes since last post.

Stocks: BAC, AIG, HCP, OAK, AA

Funds: FAAFX, SIGIX, DODGX, DODBX, DODFX

Basically, remain all in.

Unsteady as she goes.

Starting to think of BAC like FAAFX...another Great Pumpkin holding.
  • Hi @Charles

I will ask, and of course, you may tell me to "buzz off"; but what is your attraction to Bank of America?
    I will note that I have not ever considered BAC as a direct holding; although I suppose it is somewhere among our broadbased etf holdings of equity stuff, by the choice of others.

Thank you and regards.
    Catch
  • linter - how big a position do I take in an individual stock, that's a good question. I am for all intent and purpose an income investor so my position size tends to run in the 3-5% range. Like Mr. Buffett, I buy with the intent of holding forever unless a better income producing opportunity comes along. I also am primarily interested in the income that is kicked out AND the potential for the growth of that income payment. I am not looking at the potential for capital appreciation although that is a consideration, no doubt about it.

As an example I'll direct your attention to my 3 recent purchases. PM has been taken to the woodshed recently for issues as far as I can see that only relate to currency valuations whatever that means. I expect that they will continue to pay me a 5% dividend, that they will continue to increase that dividend as they have for years on end and that others will continue to pay more for the right to get that consistent dividend payment.

I bought DTV because they are merging with AT&T (T) and I wanted to have a chunk of stodgy old AT&T's dividend payout. I'll receive that when the merger is consummated along with a large handful of cash which I can direct wherever I wish including more T. Buying DTV provided a better value than buying T outright.

My last purchase was GILD which is not throwing off any income at this time but intends to do so. Although it's initial payout will be less than my usual minimum search criteria of 3.5% I expect that it will increase with time. I also expect that it's recent hiccup to the downside in relation to that squiggly price line thing to settle out in my favor once all this bubble talk falls off the radar. If not, there are other healthcare related stocks that I can direct my attention toward.
  • Finally cleaning up on my emerging/frontier funds: put in to sell WAFMX and AEMSX (ABEMX).

WAFMX holdings are 7% Latin America, and 45% Africa (almost half of that in Nigeria and Kenya). Nigeria is oil dependent, and consumer products are import dependent; with low price of oil and high exchange rate, this might dead money for some time. I don't see the frontier countries in Asia making up for Africa and Latin America.

Similar story with AEMSX with Latin America (20%), Emerging Europe 13% (mostly Russia and Turkey), and about 5% Africa.
  • edited March 2015
    @linter,

With respect to my spiffs:

I think in terms of how much I have to take in the form of a retirement distribution I need form my portfolio on a quarterly basis. Some quarters are more than others. My two biggest quarters are the fourth and first of each year.

In some quarters, I have been able to satisfy my quarterly distribution requirements just from profits received form my special investment positions (spiffs).

I don’t look so much as how much the spiffs contribute to portfolio overall but I look at how the profits from my spiffs are satisfying my quarterly income needs. For example the profit received form my October opening spiff, that you recently commented about, paid more than half of my first quarter 2015 distribution needs.

I love collecting spiffs ... and, I plan to keep making these special investment positions from time-to-time because the way I look at it ... it is free money Mr. Market pays me for my good thinking. If my thinking is bad I'll close a spiff out if the position has moved 15% against me from its opening.

I like to play small ball so-to-speak and have a string of singles and doubles that advance the base runner(s) and if the long ball does come then that is a bonus.

I wish you the very best with your investments.

Old_Skeet
  • edited March 2015
    Hi catch.
    ...what is your attraction to Bank of America?
    Far reaching financial institution that got hammered during credit crisis, creating a deep value opportunity with thoughtful CEO Brian Moynihan putting legal and reserve issues behind, turning company around and creating huge shareholder yield going forward.

A dream I have =).