Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The new look

2»

Comments

• Thank you all for the replies. No, it does NOT just happen at the MFO site. It happens at Facebook, typing an email message, too. The wireless router is upstairs. I'm downstairs, but almost right underneath the thing. It's a small home! I've tried to note whether it might be a time-of-day problem, too. But it apparently is NOT. Early or late doesn't matter. My mouse is a wired one. So there's no battery inside to wear out and die, like a wireless mouse... "Has this problem existed before?" (As per Catch22.) YES, in fact, it's been happening over months and years. At first, I just thought I was hitting the wrong key, or my fat fingers were getting in their own way. But it's been happening only at THIS address, connected to scummy, spooge-y COMCAST as our ISP. We bought this computer in western Pennsylvania. I never noticed the problem there. We took it to Jamaica. The problem did not happen THERE. I could try the other USB port. But it seems clear to me now: the faulty, worthless, disgusting ISP is to blame. Another reason to add to the list, for wanting to get out of New England. If you don't get internet from the phone company here, and particularly if you want to "bundle" phone and tv and internet, the greasy company known as Comcast is the only option in my city. We are captives. Have I mentioned that Comcast licks germs off dead rats in the street?
  • Crash: When you are composing (typing) an email, the internet (COMCAST) should not be involved, until you hit the "send" button, if your setup is anything like mine.

To really nail this thing down, I suggest that you open a word-processing or text application on your computer and test the typing there. Any such text application should be completely contained within your computer, as there is nothing for COMCAST to get involved with. You should be able to completely unplug your computer from the internet and the text app will still work. If everything seems OK in a text app, then you're back to COMCAST.

You know, as I wrote that last it occurred to me that you could in fact use email as a similar test for text composition:

• unplug the COMCAST internet connection completely
    • open your email application
    • try composing a test email

If you still have a problem, it sure as hell ain't COMCAST.

OJ
  • @Crash

So, you still think your pc has the problem; as you have described and it is because your internet connection is via wi-fi provided by/through Comcast.

Do you really feel this is a logical conclusion based upon your knowledge of pc's and their related functions; or are you just pissed-offed in general and Comcast is the victim at this point?

Did your try the other USB port??? Do you try another mouse???

I presume your laptop has a button to operate on the top row of keys to disable/turnoff the wi-fi function of the laptop. What happens when you do this and then type an email without sending, of course.

Is this a Windows 7 unit or XP or perhaps Vista software?
  • "I presume your laptop has a button to operate on the top row of keys to disable/turnoff the wi-fi function of the laptop. What happens when you do this and then type an email without sending, of course. "

Crash, Catch is saying essentially the same thing that I am: eliminate COMCAST by disconnecting the computer from the Wi-Fi, or alternatively, unplug COMCAST from the router and make the computer work on it's own.

If it screws up without a COMCAST connection then you can eliminate one entire branch of possibilities.
  • edited April 2015
    Comcast sucks it dry, in any case, based on ALL my previous experience with them. Comcast is corporate feces. I just typed an "essay" in WORD, which I hardly ever use anymore. You'll recognize the wording of the old typing exercise, though I type with one finger. I'm cutting-and-pasting the results here and invite you to proofread it. But it looks "clean" to me, without the glitch:

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party.
  • @Crash

You did not offer any followup regarding any suggestions.

I am done with offering further assistance.
  • edited April 2015
    Crash,

re: your issue. "as a test", try testing by going to a discussion, you want to comment on, wait a few minutes before typing anything (let the page fully load with all images and banner), then see if you have an issue. If you don't have the issue after waiting for a few minutes before typing and letting page load, it would be due to your slow connection.

I have had problems when using a slow connection (but it involves all webpages), generally I might type a login name, then click on box to enter password and my cursor jumps back to the login name and appends the password to login name.
    But that is usually due to the autofocus of a page after js is completely loaded.

meaning the focus of the cursor can change, generally dues to incomplete loading of the page and all the associated javascript or images.

It also might seem to be slow if your computer is downloading updates in the background, which would cause the browser page you are on to be slow in loading as well.
  • "...try testing by going to a discussion, you want to comment on, wait a few minutes before typing anything (let the page fully load with all images and banner), then see if you have an issue. If you don't have the issue after waiting for a few minutes before typing and letting page load, it would be due to your slow connection...."

I was just over to "Wolff's Economic Underworld." I watched the vids. The vids were watchable, but a bit choppy, though. I suppose THAT is a symptom, too, eh? I typed my post-vid contribution and there was no problem, as I have been describing. Thanks for your input! I tried a bit earlier, at the suggestion of Catch22, to hook-up my mouse to a different port. It's still plugged into that different port. But the port is not the problem, IS it?