Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Bull is Closer to Its End

2»

Comments

• MJG
    edited May 2015
    Hi Old Joe,

In this instance, your Internet search engine did not serve you well. Perhaps you chose the wrong search words.

Instead of directing you towards a Link with real world information and possibilities, it guided you to a bizarre fictional cardboard character. That’s too bad because a town on Argentina’s Beagle Channel does incorporate an end of phrasing as part of its town motto.

That town is Ushuaia, the southern most town in the world. I had the advantage of not needing to research the matter since my wife and I visited the place a few years ago. Here is a Link to a site with general photos of Ushuaia and its dock area:

http://cruises.about.com/od/southamericacruises/ig/Ushuaia-Argentina/

Here is a Link to a site that features a photo of its harbor welcome sign that defiantly proclaims its motto:

http://www.followjohnpaul.com/ushuaia-end-world/

As you can see from the photo, the complete Ushuaia town motto is “Ushuaia End of the World Beginning of Everything”.

That’s great optimism for a town that survives and prospers under such harsh environmental conditions.

On our visit, the townspeople were terrific, maybe the police not so much so. The police were suspicious of what to us were tourist-like activities. That’s somewhat understandable since Ushuaia is the home of Argentina’s maximum security prison. When we questioned the locals, we were told that the police were often corrupt; they believed the military were more trustworthy.

The discussions on this thread have been mostly helpful and designed to transmit information diversity. That’s great. I didn’t want the exchange to end with the lowbrow, but popular, Homer Simpson TV character featured. I doubt if anyone believes that “the end is near”. If we do, we’re wasting time on any financial matters.

Best Wishes.
  • edited May 2015
    Tampabay said:

Are these posts for some academic core requirement, or are they to aggravate investors like me? Because they are working.....maybe Class Room mentality would be better for you....
    Just thinking...

@tampabay: Interestingly, the posts you seem to be objecting to are all under 40 words, which in the past appeared to be your maximum tolerance level for intelligent dialogue. Sorry if any of mine offended your sensibilities. Please do offer your own views on some of the points MJG has made in his six lengthier contributions to the thread.

We all await your thoughtful analysis of the thread's topic, "The Bull is Closer to its End", after you've had sufficient time to digest the salient points here.

Regards
  • Hank, A good/hard lesson for Academia is that there is no correlation between so called "salient points" and rationality in investing...they are two different worlds..
    I find it hard to spent time (writing dialog) to explain what CAN happen in the market place... that best left to MJG types....me I'm: in-the-Street, common sense, rational type....
    IT WORKS...best for most