Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ransomware Attacks

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Long FEYE.
  • edited July 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @MFO Members: Once again, CHKP is the place in cyper protection space.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited July 2015
    Guys....I recently saw some chatter regarding an ETF appropriately assigned the ticker HACK. There may be a similar accumulation of like-minded companies, but I've not seen one. I like the space theoretically, but don't know enough about individual names.

Thoughts on this as a flier?

press
  • Been watching CHKP since the last time you mentioned it Ted. Waiting for it to drop back to the 75-76 range where it was in Feb.

Just viewing the chart, FEYE is way to volatile for my taste.
  • This sort of thing is exactly why I have two physically independent internal drives in my main computer, and each of those drives is divided into two logically independent partitions.

One partition on each drive contains all files associated with the operating system, and all actual applications. The other partition contains all generated files: music, pictures, CAD drawings, word files, databases, spreadsheets, etc. I call that partition the Common File Library, or CFL.

If either drive crashes, I can switch to the other. If any partition on any drive becomes corrupted, I can switch to the backup. In fact, this happened just last week: for some reason, the operating system on the "main" drive became corrupted. I started up from the backup drive, totally erased all files on the operating system partition of the main drive, and then simply copied over the entire operating system from the backup drive.

Admittedly this sort of problem doesn't occur very often, but once is enough, thank you. The ease of recovery makes every dollar spent on the drive configuration worth it ten times over.
  • @Old Joe, are you running Windows 7 or 8.1? Also whAt anti-virus programs you are using? Newer OS supposedly be better than XP?
  • "None of the above is true." Running venerable Mac OS 10.4.11. If someone were to bring a Windows machine into this house I would need to have the house either exorcized or at the very least fumigated.
  • @Old_Joe,

The new update went out earlier today. 10.10.4
    It's even better security wise.
  • @Old_Joe, Same in our household. We have migrated to Mac over ten years ago, but we have not running issues you have experienced. Unfortunately we are still using Windows at work and it take an army of IT support for maintance.

For ultimate security, i have been working with Linux OS. It has about 80% of touch and feel of Mac OS, and there is a supporting forum kinda like MFO here.
  • @JohnChisum & @Sven- thanks for your comments. My situation is a bit unique, because I'm still using applications from some twenty years ago. (They were called "programs" then, if you recall.) Unfortunately, because of this need, I can't advance beyond my old Mac G5, and OS10.4.11, which is the last hardware/OS combination that was able to emulate these very old apps.

Those old apps include a CAD program, drawing program, and spreadsheet program which cannot be "translated" into contemporary apps.

With respect to "running issues", the experience a couple of weeks ago was very unusual. That same OS copy had been running for many years without problems, so I can't complain about that. As I described, it's still the same exact OS setup, simply recopied from the backup drive to replace the copy that became unstable.

Of course all of this is before the automatic "Time Machine" backup which the newer Mac operating systems have. My setup is sorta like a train with a steam engine, rather than a diesel. Still gets the job done, though!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Shhhh.....

"Linux, Linux, Linux...."

And as Sven mentioned, loads of on-line support...

Altho less common now than a few years ago, there are often local support groups as well. I am fortunate enough to have belonged for many years to a LUG ("Linux User Group") that originated at a local University but has always welcomed all comers, as well has hosting an online Q&A.

I have never paid 1 cent for updates, support, etc etc for any computer I have ever owned. Period. (Admittedly, my demands are largely utilitarian, but I can usually find software to meed my needs & interests.) I have on occasion considered acquiring a Mac, but so far have been happy enough with my current Linux desktop & laptop.

OK, that's my speech & I will now shut up.
  • edited July 2015
    Ya don't need to be a tech nerd to have Linux be useful to you?
  • edited July 2015
    I'm using a couple of programs that are designed to intercept a ransomeware attack. One is called hitmanpro.alert. The other is cryptoprevent. I believe they can be downloaded at bleepingcomputer.com I'm using windows.
  • Maurice said:

@Crash I always assumed that you need very good technical skills (e.g. programming) to enjoy the value of Linux or similar open source OS's.

With older Unix 20 years ago, you needed some tech skills. These days Linux , it is probably easier to use (and fix) then windows or apple, since it is all non-proprietary.

No, you don't need any programming skills. The user interface for linux has improved over the years and looks like any other OS. And the installation is pretty simple.

• Now I HAD to get into discussion. I've been trying for years to see if I can use Linux and not have to purchase Windows. Every 2-3 years I get that bug. Everytime I'm disappointed.

Yes you can use Linux. You don't have to be a developer. However it does NOT run well with the same level of hardware. We keep hearing it needs less memory to run and it will run even on older hardware etc. However, the point it as a desktop operating system with all bells and whistles we expect, it simply does not cut it.

I'm typing this running Linux Mint right now. Probably the best linux distribution in my opinion, but only because it accidently booted in my dual boot setup with Windows 8.1 that I configured not too long back thinking my laptop is getting old and it will run better with Linux. Again disappointed.

For servers fine. Use Linux when you run a operating system core. It might run as well and without all the glitz pruned off. For an end user stick to Windows. And if Windows 10 might become free for consumes (I keep hearing) there is no excuse.
  • Mac OS Sucks. You can't do jack with it. How much freeware you got for MAC?

Use Windows 8.1. Let me tell you what you need that you already didn't know was free.

VLC player - videolan.org. Plays anything and everything.
    WPS office - wps.com. Works with MS office just fine.
    ImageBurn - imgburn.org. For all DVD burning needs
    Ashampoo - For audio CDs if you wish
    CCleaner - piriform.com. When your computer starts running slow because cache gets filled up.
    xvid4psp - all our media conversion needs
    malwarebytes - over and above windows defender if you click on wrong link
    adwcleaner - if you really, REALLY F up. If you find yourself needing to use this again and again, you should consider giving up using computers.
    Cobian backup - obvious...
  • VF, +1 and more
  • Wonder what happens if they hack admissions records and find out about it, but can't tell anyone and then eventually it comes out. Let's see how where some Harvard alumni are working these days....

Oh my god! It's a conspiracy !!!
  • edited July 2015
    Already using Malwarebytes. Better than Defender, which is a joke. Better than Super Antispyware, too. Malwarebytes caught a trojan downloader that the other could not see, and several other PUPs. I use VLC media player, too, besides. I watch lots of old movies.

Also: Video DownloadHelper.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/
  • Mac OS Sucks. You can't do jack with it. How much freeware you got for MAC?

I not one to respond to flamebait but I wanted to offer a gentle correction.

I can, and do, do all I need to with my Mac. And there’s plenty of freeware and open-source software available for Macs, if you’re so inclined, including VLC and plenty of media conversion and CD/DVD burning apps.

I don’t need anything like Malwarebytes or Adwcleaner because it’s very difficult to get a virus or malware on a Mac unless you do something incredibly stupid, like give permission to install an app from an unknown source.
  • edited July 2015
    Ditto... I just let that one pass. I use a Mac for email, internet, spreadsheets, heavy-duty Filemaker databases, text documents, drawings, visual media manipulation, CAD, and music storage, editing and playback. The music library alone contains over 18,000 music files, all at full-spectrum uncompressed format. (I don't do no stinkin MP3.)

This on an obsolescent ten year old Mac G5 which is quite happy running apps some of which are very old. I first used the CAD app over twenty years ago to design, install and completely document all aspects of the San Francisco 911 Call Center and Police Dispatch facilities. I'm still using it right now in planning the remodeling detail of our SF home.

The spreadsheet contains our entire financial history going back some twenty years, and is used almost daily to monitor and calculate all aspects of our financial investments. Numerous databases keep track of everything from wine management to battery replacement.

In over twenty years of Macs I have never had an issue due to "viruses" or malware, and therefore have no need for all of those free apps apparently necessary to keep a Windows machine operable.

I'm afraid that @VintageFreak speaks from profound ignorance on this one. It would be interesting to see what machine he runs, how heavy a load he puts on it, and how often it needs some sort of virus or malware cleansing.
  • Profound ignorance. Please read my message again.

Still posting this from a machine running Linux Mint. An Inspiron 1720 bought in 2007, with 4GB RAM and 1.5 Ghz Dual Core CPU with 2 x 250GB, one with Windows 8.1 and one with Linux Mint.

I know precisely the F what I'm doing. Windows 8.1 runs better on this machine. Macs suck because the OS is a closed system. I'm not comparing how Mac OS runs on this machine IF I could run it. MacOS sucks on first principles. Give it to me on PC for the same price as a Windows PC and I will try it.

I need a Windows machine. I want a MacOS if I have money to waste. Rich people have Macs. And oh yes, also those college students who pretend to go and study at Starbucks and getting unemployable degrees while running up student debt.

There is a reason Macs don't get viruses. There is no "market" for them.
  • edited July 2015
    "The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." -- Oscar Wilde

When you run the workload that I do and have get back to me.
  • @MFO Members: Time to close this thread down before it gets hacked !
    Regards,
    Ted