Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Where Are The Female Fund Managers?

FYI: If your mutual fund is run by a woman, it is a rarity.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB11670627175020993366304581066292742744646

Comments

• One of the best fund managers I ever "hired" - Arden Armstrong. Other notables?

NYTimes, June 13, 1999, INVESTING WITH: Arden Armstrong; MAS Mid-Cap Growth Fund
  • Hi Guys,

Although they are few in number, women are becoming a more important segment of the marketplace. Data demonstrates that female investors outdistance their male counterparts. More females are entering the investment business professionally.

My favorite female manager is Anne Gudefin. She managed a few Mutual series funds in the 2000s. She is currently executive vice-president in PIMCO's London office and is also a global portfolio manager.

More power to her and her cohorts.

Best Wishes.
  • Thanks for the reminder. I've "hired" her, too. Keep this up and we may discover that I've "hired" all the good female managers. An equal opportunity "employer".
  • @MFO Members: The boys ! Bill Gross, Jeff Gundlach, Dan Fuss. The girl ! Kathleen Gaffney.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • I wonder if the anomaly might be due to performance numbers? Really, when is the last time you can remember or heard where a female fund manager a) had the leading fund in her category, b) was nominated for M* manager of the year or c) was the managing head of a mutual fund company. Helen Hayes and Elaine Garzarelli and Kathleen Gaffney are those i remember. Matthews Funds has one or two I believe as lead managers. We know they're out there but but little if any is ever said or written about them. They go about their business in relative obscurity cranking out respectable numbers year after year but rarely ringing the bell in the performance chase. People like performance numbers, consistency and respectability are afterthoughts.

Lots of other explanations of course: possible hiring biases, not enough women in the field of practice, a shortage of women applying for those positions etc.etc.. Many times they also have a different twist on investing as a whole which many may not appreciate.

Just shooting from the hip.
  • Laura Geritz, Wasatch Funds. Runs Frontier Markets and is on the teams of Emerging Small Cap and International Opps.
  • Forgot to include Kim Scott, manager of Ivy Mid Cap Growth IYMIX.
  • J Bewick was/is real good, Fido, IIRC. Maybe she is mentioned already. Susan Byrne, Westwood, is another, though not sure where she is actively decisionmaking these days.
  • Sarah Ketterer Causeway Funds.
  • Leda Braga
    Meet the most powerful woman in hedge funds
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/102318842
  • Andrew and Carlene Ziegler left Strong Funds to start Artisan Funds. I recall a third portfolio manager, ?Marina, on small-cap funds.
  • How about a manager who manages fund managers? Abby Johnson @ Fidelity Funds.
  • @Crash
    Matthews also has Lydia So @ MSMLX

DoubleLine has Luz Padilla @ DLENX
  • Yes! I don't own them, so I just did not think of them. "Not on my radar." But, YES!
  • MJG
    edited July 2015
    Hi Guys,

Although a minority, there are many talented female money managers in the business. You guys identified many of them.

Several key questions: How many female managers generate positive Alpha? and What is the positive female Alpha producer percentages compared to male plus Alpha generators?

Is there a pony there? That seems to be the case in the Hedge fund segment of the industry.

Best Wishes.
  • DoubleLine has Luz Padilla @ DLENX
    Have been invested with Luz Padilla for several years. Managing the asset class of EM debt is no small feast. She has achieved solid returns without incurring additional risk comparing to her peers.
  • Historically, Leah Zell led the international group at Acorn Funds.
    Elizabeth Bramwell, who was a founding manager of a Gabelli growth fund, split to start the Bramwell Fund. She died on March 7 of this year.
  • I was about to mention Leah Zell. She was an original co-manager of Acorn Int'l (ACINX) along with her husband. She outlasted him as a manager of the fund, taking on Margaret Forster as a co-manager for much of her remaining tenure with the fund.

Here's a nice writeup of her, with a relevant lead paragraph.
    Chicago Tribune, Dec 10, 2000, Family History Helps Drive Leah Zell's Zeal For Success

"The keepers of conventional wisdom contend that women are risk averse, to their detriment as investors. The conventional wisdom apparently isn't acquainted with Leah Joy Zell."
  • Don't forget Elaine Stokes from Loomis. She might well be the smartest of all their fixed-income managers. A really talented person.
  • edited July 2015
    Mary Miller did a bang-up job as head of T. Rowe Price's fixed income division. Before taking over, their fixed income funds were mostly duds. IMHO, she turned the division around and it remains competitive to this day. She left Price several years ago for government service.

From Wikipedia: "Mary John Miller serves as the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Under Secretary for Domestic Finance ... responsible for developing and coordinating Treasury's policies and guidance in the areas of financial institutions, federal debt financing, financial regulation, and capital markets. ... Previously, Miller served as Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Financial Markets ... Prior to joining Treasury, Miller spent 26 years working for T. Rowe Price Group, Inc., where she was the director of the Fixed Income Division and a member of the firm's Management Committee. In November of 2011, Miller was included on The New Republic's list of Washington's most powerful, least famous people."

To the basic question here: I suspect it's for the same reason that males seem to dominate this board. For every Anna, you'll find three male-sounding names like Ted, Old Joe or Hank. Probably has to do with the relative attraction finance holds for the genders - especially when they are young. No doubt gender stereotyping plays a big part. That's also been an issue in many scientific/technical areas which largely attracted males until quite recently.
  • Hank, I believe the females think that we're all a bunch of blubbering idiots and would just rather laugh at us w/o adding to our pain. On the other hand, 'handles' being what they are, none of us know who any of us are other than for David and Ed. I've sometimes wondered if Ted is really Barbara Bush.
  • "I believe the females think that we're all a bunch of blubbering idiots"

Well, I'm almost certain that my wife would agree with that, and she knows me pretty well by now...
  • I remember reading an article years ago about research indicating that women investors tended to be more patient than male ones who were more aggressive and overly-eager to prove themselves. It would fit the psychological stereotypes at least that women need to be more patient to put up with their children and their husbands. If you're a believer in buy and hold investing--and the studies indicate it is a superior strategy--then women should be superior investors. Then again there are some aggressively run funds that have performed well, but they tend to be more volatile and prone to blowups. Think of that classic CGM Focus and Ken Heebner. If ever there was an alpha male investment strategy, it was his. Meanwhile, Susan Byrne at Westwood had a more patient approach, trying to hit singles and doubles instead of home runs.