Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Anyone buying or selling at these levels?

edited July 2015 in Fund Discussions
Just curious what others are doing at this point in time. I did purchase more shares of RCS because it appears to be at a fairly good discount. Stress the word, "appears." lol. I also purchased DLINX given how it's performed YTD. It seems to be positioned fairly well moving forward with interest rate uncertainty. As for stock funds, I'm holding my positions but I did notice that the small cap value sector is getting beaten up.

Edit: RCS is PIMCO Strategic Income - not sure why it appears with a different name on MFO.

Comments

• I'm employing the time honored practice of assiduity.

"Assiduity is the ability to sit on your ass and do nothing until a great opportunity presents itself".

-Charlie Munger
  • I was sitting on lots of cash, so I'm slowly adding to most of my equity funds on the way down.
  • With the S&P 500 Index only off about 3% of its recent high ... Score me as just looking.
  • edited July 2015
    Sold half of my position in United Technologies (UTX), exchanged it for Boeing (BA), rest keeping as cash. Also started a position in Southwest (LUV). Heck I fly it almost exclusively, might as well own it:)
  • I'm watching Gilead... maybe at 105?
  • Waiting for more attractive opportunities.
  • edited July 2015
    I'm having what @PRESSmUP is having, because it sounds very nuanced and sophisticated.:)
    Under present circumstances, "I like to watch."
  • I swapped DVN (a relatively long-term holding, I had a small profit) into TDW. This worked well for me in 2008-9 with the housing and financial sectors, I swapped from lower into higher beta names to increase my potential upside when the rebound came without touching my cash stake.

I am, of course, presuming that a rebound is coming is energy, though I am willing to wait a couple years for it...
  • edited July 2015
    Not a net seller I guess, but am selling some things and moving into lower risk, including a larger position in Ecolab (ECL) Added to Union Pacific (UNP), which remains a long-term holding. Took a little bit off on Blackstone (BX) but keeping the remainder. Added a little to Oaktree (OAK).
  • Mostly practicing that assiduity thing. Did add to APPL, GILD, TYG, EPD and KMI in this slump. Sold LINE and most of my MAPIX shares to pay for it. Looking at AB and EMR.
  • I had been buying HZNP recently on any down day. But yesterday lost that discipline and sold some instead of adding because I became spooked by the weakness in the overall market. That cost me today as it's up almost 5% this morning.
  • edited July 2015
    Old_Joe said:

I'm watching Gilead... maybe at 105?

Gilead Sciences earnings: $3.15 a share, vs $2.71 a share expected
    http://www.cnbc.com/2015/07/28/gilead-sciences-earnings-.html

Reports Q2 (Jun) earnings of $3.15 per share, $0.44 better than the Capital IQ Consensus Estimate of $2.71; revenues rose 25.8% year/year to $8.22 bln vs the $7.59 bln consensus. Also raises guidance for FY15 product sales.

• edited July 2015
    Patience in GILD will be rewarded as it's a monster...
  • edited July 2015
    PopTart said:

Patience in GILD will be rewarded as it's a monster...

Yeah - it's not without risk, but yet another giant quarter and the thing still trades at a single digit forward p/e.

http://blogs.barrons.com/stockstowatchtoday/2015/07/28/gilead-sciences-big-beat-big-gain/?mod=yahoobarrons&ru=yahoo

Shares of Gilead Sciences (GILD) are up after the biotech giant easily topped earnings and revenue forecasts.

Evercore ISI’s Mark Schoenbaum says “Gilead just put up what appears to be an awesome quarter.” He continues:

And they raised revenue guidance to where Street already is. Expenses came in lower, and they lowered R&D guidance for the year (this company tends to be conservative, so for them to raise revenue guidance this early in the year speaks volumes).
  • The next 2 quarters will reveal GILD's expansion in countries outside of the USA, which is just beginning in Japan.

Mr. Market wants to see M&A activity from GILD. I prefer that GILD mgmt. do what is best for GILD. Can't argue with the numbers and the raised forecast (again).
  • edited July 2015
    My apologies for having momentarily hijacked this thread. I find this summary about GILD to be right on:

"What we're seeing come through is an under appreciation of all the hepatitis C revenues available outside the U.S.," said RBC Capital Markets analyst Michael Yee. "The company raised revenue and lowered expense guidance. You can't ask for better than that."
  • Now GILD's price targets are predictably being raised:

S&P CAPITAL IQ REITERATES
    STRONG BUY OPINION ON
    SHARES OF GILEAD SCIENCES
    Recent Price: $113.07
    Recommendation:
    FIVE STAR BUY [Highest Rating]

We raise our 12-month target $12 to $155 on below peers 13.9X our revised 2015 EPS estimate of
    $11.15, up $0.95. Q2 EPS of $3.15 vs. $2.36 is $0.65 ahead of our est. Sales, driven by a robust $4.9B
    in Sovaldi/Harvoni hepatitis C (HCV) sales, rose 26%. We see GILD maintaining dominant 90%+
    HCV market share in the U.S., but we see new HCV patients moderating in H2 from significant
    uptake in Q1 and some payer restrictions. We see solid growth in Europe, including France where
    price negotiations just finished and we see large Japan opportunity, which approved Harvoni in
    July.
    Jeffrey Loo, CFA
    07/28/2015 17:56:55
  • So you're saying I should have bought more? Or backed up the truck?
  • I haven't backed up the truck with GILD shares, although I did purchase some more shares last Thursday. I'm overweight GILD in a diversified portfolio of funds/etf's and stocks and am providing facts to back up my thesis that GILD is currently an excellent buy with a strong runway of growth ahead of it. Do what you wish with this info. Plenty more info. on GILD floating around the net in addition to what I've posted.

After all, this thread is titled, "Anyone buying or selling at these levels?" and I posted my replies.

• Me too, Monday, as I posted earlier.
  • edited July 2015
    PRESSmUP said:

I'm employing the time honored practice of assiduity.
    "Assiduity is the ability to sit on your ass and do nothing until a great opportunity presents itself".

Good one PRESSmUP.

That appears to be the opposite of the "finger in the wind" approach. I've tried both. But you can expend an awful lot of energy buying and selling based on the way the wind blows ... And I'm not convinced you gain that much over the long run. (maybe an ulcer)

• edited July 2015
    PopTart said:

I haven't backed up the truck with GILD shares, although I did purchase some more shares last Thursday.

Basically, you have a situation - even more than Apple (and Gilead has often been called the "Apple of Biotech") where the market is demanding to know more about what the next five years looks like.

Look at Celgene, which has really kind of spelled out what the next 5 years look like, complete with projections and a number of recent purchases/partnerships. Celgene is trading at nearly a 50 p/e.

Gilead, which has really not spelled out what the next 5 years looks like, is trading with about a 13-14 p/e and has just had two quarters where the analyst estimates weren't even close to the beat that the company delivered.

If Gilead makes a "transformative" purchase (and their two major purchases have resulted in enormous success) or even a series of small purchases then would it stand to reason that Gilead should deserve to trade at a higher multiple? I think so. Is Gilead undervalued at present time? I think so, too. The market/valuation is acting like there isn't any pipeline at all and is basically ignoring growth internationally. The company has nearly $15B in cash.

The company is certainly not without risk, but it has taken in a lot of cash and management should have - at this point - proven themselves quite capable, given their track record. With the valuation where it is, I'm not buying anymore than the already large position, but I do feel very comfortable holding it and that there is a margin of safety with the valuation where it is. The dividend helps, as well.

I'm not expecting Gilead to repeat its past performance. I simply see what I believe to be a very undervalued stock that I think could do very well over time (and potentially grow the dividend.) I think it's gone from a volatile biotech to something that looks and feels more like a buy-and-hold stock.
  • Buying/selling at these levels? Not much, still ~ 40% cash & stable value, but nibbling at three relatively attractively priced cef's of various portfolios and pedigrees (PTY, DBL, FPF) and one etf (PCY), plus adding a little to core-ish bonds since the 10yT trading range has stabilized. None of the recent buys really affects the overall portfolio, which is in very conservative territory since late May-early June.
  • I like where I am with 61% equity, 24% fixed income and 15% cash but considering reducing fixed and adding to SCHD a high quality dividend ETF. Maybe also adding from cash.
  • GILD is indeed very tempting. But I always think twice before getting in on a hot dice table.
  • @Scott - Thanks. I pulled the same stunt with SeaDrill last year. Sometimes it pays to be clueless and just get lucky.
  • edited August 2015
    Eliminated my position in SGGDX today as it hit my stop loss yesterday with sale proceeds settling to cash.

I most likely will replace SGGDX with FMFAX to bring my materials sector holdings back up to a five percent target weighting within my portfolio sometime in the near future. I am in no hurray to do this though; and, perhaps it will become one of my fall special investment themes.
  • Went from 70% equities (MFs, ETFs, and individual stocks) down to 55% equities at today's market open with remainder of portfolio in cash, i.e., no bond holdings. Market breadth is lousy, good earnings reports are not being rewarded sufficiently and stocks with earnings misses are tanking. More importantly, most of my individual stock holdings have either traded sideways or declined slightly in value since April with few stocks gaining more than 10% over the past 4 months.

Something doesn't feel right and August/September are usually weak months. I have sold all individual stocks that have high(er) betas than the S&P 500 and locked in gains in my few winners.