Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Monica Lewinsky Will Address Financial Advisors

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• @Maurice: Why ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Will she be wearing the dress to address these financial advisors? Just wondering....
  • I'm trying to think if Monica is any more qualified to address Financial Advisors than Bristol is to advise teens on abstinence.

Coming soon to a college near you. B.A. in Speaking Engagements. How to create controversy in your life and then profit from it the rest of your life.

Okay maybe the degree does not apply to Monica.
  • Jesus. If you know about how things have gone for her, you would know she has hardly been able to profit from anything. And of course comments like P'head's make abundantly clear why she might feel as if she cannot catch a break decades later. You might think she actually did something wrong. In any case, her talk is to be about communications clarity, nuance, transparency, frankness, and so on.
  • She holds an M.S. degree from the London School of Economics in social psychology.
    She has done a good job of rebuilding some self-respect and credibility after she was trampled in the dirt by the special prosecutor. She did not emerge from that episode unscathed, or a gold-digger. She realizes that events long past, including lies told about her and frothing media accounts, are part of her life forever,* and has chosen to try to understand matters in a hard-to-the bone way. I will be interested to read her address, if it is published.

*This extends to limiting her job prospects. Although her resume is of interest to NGOs, where she would like to work, once hirers peg her as "that woman," it's off.
  • edited August 2015

Jesus. If you know about how things have gone for her, you would know she has hardly been able to profit from anything. And of course comments like P'head's make abundantly clear why she might feel as if she cannot catch a break decades later. You might think she actually did something wrong. In any case, her talk is to be about communications clarity, nuance, transparency, frankness, and so on.

I am not trying to assess blame here. However, we all have to bear consequences of our actions. It is not about right or wrong. Sometimes we don't know what we are doing is right or wrong. Other times, we do, but we make choice any way knowing what the consequences would be, or rather not taking a moment to think about the consequences.

I know someone at work who deserves to be slapped. I slap him, I lose my job. Right? Wrong? I dunno. I know I don't do it because I need my job. The day I don't need my job, I might think differently. Let's not be hypocrites. However, let's live in the real world.

I will accept Monica Lewinsky is way qualified to talk to any bozo on wall street. I will never accept Bristol Palin should be advising anyone on abstinence.
  • BP is not fit to clean ML's dress or do anything else except close her Ashley Madison account. Ought not to breed either.
  • edited August 2015
    Guess we have some Puritans present. :)

And they have a right to voice their feelings. As one who's made at least as serious a mistake in life as Monica made - and at an older age when I should have known better - I have nothing against her. Perhaps admiration for the way she's handled the intense public scrutiny.

It's true that in our culture celebrity sells. However, by all accounts this is a very intelligent individual. I suspect she'd have accomplished even more in her life, and earlier on, had it not been for all the public attention that fell upon her.
  • This discussion has been very enlightening with respect to Ms Lewinsky. I always assumed (with the usual invalid result) that she was just a bozette. She may have been foolish, but she was badly used, by cynical Washington types who could care less about another human being. I wish her well.
  • edited August 2015
    Just to clarify for those who may be unfamiliar with some of the terminology.

bozette: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bozette
  • I'll be darned- it's a real word, sort-of. I made that up years ago in a discussion with my wife regarding certain feminine characteristics. She was not amused.

One thing about that word always kind of bothered me.. it isn't immediately obvious whether it refers to a female bozo, or just a diminutive male bozo. But here in SF such gender descriptive terminology is pretty much off-limits anyway. We must be the PC capitol of the universe. I don't fit well here, as I'm constantly reminded. Not sure where I'd fit all that well, for that matter.
    :(
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Old_Joe - just be yourself. Everyone else is taken.
  • "Everyone else is taken." _ :) :) :)
  • While I feel for Lewinsky and think she was unfairly treated in the press, I think her speaking in this specific case is perhaps a missed opportunity. The financial world remains fairly sexist and imbalanced relative to the population. For instance, 51% of the population are women and they are often the financial decision makers in many households, yet only 23% of Certified Financial Planners are women: cfp.net/docs/about-cfp-board/cfp-board_win_web.pdf While Lewinsky may attract a certain prurient interest from members of the audience making jokes about her dress, it might be more valuable and instructive to have a successful woman financial adviser discuss the unique needs of female clients and why the financial world isn't as diverse as it should be. In fact, the linked paper presents a slew of top women CFPs who could've been more relevant as speakers for this particular occasion.
  • MJG
    edited August 2015
    Hi Mr. Braham and Guys,

I don’t worry that only “23% of Certified Financial Planners are women”. In fact, I congratulate that industry for its recent advances in that area. Anecdotally, I have recently attended several financial meetings where the women have been dominant players. More power to them!

From my perspective the glass is becoming half-full, and is rising. And for good reason. Long standing investment research has definitely established that women are superior investors when contrasted against men. They are more patient, they listen better, they trade less frequently, and, as a result, they enjoy better payoffs.

It’s important to put all statistics in a proper context. Here are some numbers that help.

In the USA, the workforce participation rate is 57% for women and 70% for men. Yet only roughly 2% of mutual funds are run by women on an assets-under-management basis. By the way, the mutual fund organization that deploys the highest percentage of women money managers is Dodge and Cox; at that firm, 25% of funds are controlled by females. Female leadership among the S&P 500 firms is pitiful. At this time, they occupy only 5% of leadership positions within that subpopulation.

So, on a relative basis, Certified Financial Planners are ahead of the curve. That’s both good for that industry and especially good for their clients. I’m optimistic about the future for women as money managers. As you noted, they have done a remarkable job for eons in the household. In Southern California, Mexican women do amazing jobs successfully stretching meager resources in their households.

I’m sure other, more experienced speakers are always attractive options at trade conference meetings. But announcing a celebrity speaker will guarantee a huge initial audience that will show-up for the talk and for earlier scheduled meetings. It’s a tactic that is frequently deployed at many tedious and long conferences.

I wish Monica Lewinsky success in her new career. I see no reason to introduce Bristol Palin into this discussion in any context, especially in such a cruel manner. It does not honor the goals or the standards of this fine website.

Best Wishes.
  • Think I concur in all these nicer views of poor Monica, but what is cruel about any treatment of ol' Bristol?? if anyone on the face of the Earth invites contemptuous ridicule, it's her and her ma and beaus, innit?
  • It would seem that David is not concerned about the goals and standards of this website. It's his way or the highway.
  • Is 'David' supposed to refer to me? If so, what the heck does that mean? Somehow unfair to snark on BP? Seriously?

Also tell me what the 'goals and standards' of this site are, if you would. Kind treatment of total hypocrite snowbilly grifters?

I do love the imputation of major power and influence, however wack it is in actuality.
  • @JohnChisum - This is seriously far from the crappiest discussion on MFO. There are a lot of "Single Posts" most of which can be deleted.

Live and Let Live.
  • VF, agree. I just didn't want David or Davidr to get a free ride with that comment.

Now that I've had my say,

All the best.
  • 'that comment'? You mean you think BP is fit to clean Lewinsky's dress, and/or should breed further? Never heard of anyone defending her other than family.
  • Define "family".
  • haha, plus her quitter ma's followers, sure.