Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• I don't read Salon swill.
  • Lolz. Then be sure to skip this!

Actually, Paul Rosenberg the analyst is an Al Jazeera English columnist, so you can dismiss this doubly, I bet. Your loss.
  • As a journalist myself, I can tell you that Salon is passé and swill.
  • edited October 2015
    @Dex As a journalist, who do you read?
  • Lolz, only in his own mind is Dex a journalist, not in any authentic sense of the word.

>> As a journalist myself, I can tell you that Salon is passé and swill.

@Dex, Priceless. I understand you want to discuss these economic issues and participate in the threads. However, your posts point out that your knowledge base, reasoning and analytical abilities are not up to the task.
  • I think it's Ed Sullivan's fault. Americans want a "Really Big Show", no matter what the cost.
  • edited October 2015
    The referenced book was written in 2012 by Thomas Mann and Norm Ornstein. The title is, "It's Even Worse Than It Looks: How the American Constitutional System Collided With the New Politics of Extremism"

A notable quote: "The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition".

And that was written BEFORE the Presidential election in 2012. I believe the "autopsy" performed by the RNC after the election had a prescription to address some of these things. The article in Salon was written as a follow up to the book.

I can certainly understand why many people don't want to read the article, let alone the book, and don't really even want to think about it.

• There's a new word I just learned at "The Big Picture":
    "Agnotology: Culturally constructed ignorance, purposefully created by special interest groups working hard to create confusion and suppress the truth."
  • edited October 2015
    New one for me, too, Anna. Not the fact, but the word for it. As ever, uncle Lewis knows about it, too:
  • Lolz, only in his own mind is Dex a journalist, not in any authentic sense of the word.

>> As a journalist myself, I can tell you that Salon is passé and swill.

@Dex, Priceless. I understand you want to discuss these economic issues and participate in the threads. However, your posts point out that your knowledge base, reasoning and analytical abilities are not up to the task.

@davidrmoran I am a journalist, video journalist, photo journalist and others, prove me otherwise.

As to the bolded and underlined part, that is called plagiarizing my comment about you in another thread. As I journalist, I know such things.
  • edited October 2015
    "I know such things"

Wow, Dex, that is impressive! By the way, did you perhaps mean "and more" rather than "and others"? Lessee here... I'm A, B, C, and others. Might have a nice ring to it in Ukrainian. David really doesn't need to prove much on this subject. The more you talk...
  • Dex
    edited October 2015
    Old_Joe said:

Wow, Dex, that is impressive! By the way, did you perhaps mean "and more" rather than "and others"?

Thank you.
    no...