Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Thought for the Day: The Oversupply of Everything

Been thinking lately that the world has gotten so good, so efficient at making stuff, mining stuff, farming stuff that there is just too much stuff, resulting in an oversupply of everything.

Comments

• Charles said:

Been thinking lately that the world has gotten so good, so efficient at making stuff, mining stuff, farming stuff that there is just too much stuff, resulting in an oversupply of everything.

Could not agree more. Some have said forever to stay away from anything commodity related because shortages and high prices result in oversupply and low prices. And remember how we heard here in a banging the table fashion to buy the railroads, buy the railroads? Because after all, all those commodities have to be transported. But alas, the railroad index is down some 40% off its 52 week highs. What is not taught in investing 101 is its counter intuitive nature.
  • @Charles & MFO Members: George Carlin would agree !
    Regards,
    Ted
    George Carlin: Stuff:

• edited January 2016
    Ditto. How many of us still have a morning paper delivered or drive to the movie theater every Saturday night? And the situation with malls closing must be of concern to real estate investors.

On the other hand, markets always over-shoot. So don't give up on things just yet.
  • I didn't hear the phrase "Drill here, drill now" at the debate earlier this week. But I did hear someone on that same network blame the current administration for the over supply of oil and the resulting loss of oil service jobs.

I really did LOL when I heard that.
  • Charles said:

Good point.

The conundrum is that the world population is expanding which would indicate demand should go up. But, increase in workers, efficiencies in transportation, and mfg have outweighed the demand.

Expect this to continue as automation and artificial intelligence spread putting a damper on demand - people can't afford the products.
  • There are 406 different kinds of fake poop on Amazon: amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fake+poopWe definitely have a problem with overcapacity, i.e., too much 'stuff" in Carlin's words. This has significant environmental consequences as making more stuff produces more pollution and carbon emissions, which exacerbates climate change. But it is a Catch 22 situation. If we don't produce and consume more we have fewer jobs as productivity has gone up because of technology. If the same output at a company can now be made with half the labor thanks to computers and robots, we as a society must consume twice as much to keep the same amount of people employed or lose half our workforce.That is how things work in our current economic model.

The solution is to have people work fewer hours and receive better pay for the hours they work or to accept that some people shouldn't work and subsidize their unemployment via a basic guaranteed income. Fewer workers could come through an earlier retirement, or via industries with the greatest excess capacity. Either way, this situation of having more and more stuff and encouraging people to spend more and become increasingly in debt is untenable from an environmental perspective. Yet from a political perspective these solutions won't fly currently. That may change eventually as the overcapacity situation becomes increasingly dire and more people are unemployed or under-employed. Or if the environmental consequences become severe, there may be some sort of tax enforced on emitters/consumers to reduce production that way.
  • We definitely have a problem with overcapacity, i.e., too much 'stuff" in Carlin's words. This has significant environmental consequences as making more stuff produces more pollution and carbon emissions, which exacerbates climate change.

Well you probably want to kill yourself if you want to part of the solution. The carbon foot print of food is estimated to grow by 50% by 2050.

http://www.nature.com/news/one-third-of-our-greenhouse-gas-emissions-come-from-agriculture-1.11708

The global food system, from fertilizer manufacture to food storage and packaging, is responsible for up to one-third of all human-caused greenhouse-gas emissions
  • @Dex. It is not just the global food system, but the consumption of meat and certain water-intensive vegetables in particular that is exacerbating emissions: scientificamerican.com/article/lettuce-produces-more-greenhouse-gas-emissions-than-bacon-does/ The evolution of the middle class in China and other countries is problematic as they are eating a lot more meat and buying a lot more stuff. But yes population growth is an important part of the climate change problem. Contraception is the solution. Your remarks are by the way a little offensive, but I'm used to your charming bedside manner by now.
  • edited January 2016
    Bingo.
  • Your remarks are by the way a little offensive, but I'm used to your charming bedside manner by now.

If you're not part of the solution then you are part of the problem. Stop eating... stop global warming!

I am so concerned about global warming I have become a breatharian. All I need is sunlight and breathing ... no food!

• It's possible the over supply of everything is related to the misuse of just about anything.
    Stephen Hawking suggests we find another planet. So much for optimism.

• @hawkmountain. Nice play on words. Hawking also wrote The Theory of Everything linked here:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Theory-Everything-Hawking-Stephen/dp/8179925919
  • Ted said:

@Charles & MFO Members: George Carlin would agree !
    Regards,
    Ted
    George Carlin: Stuff:

The perfect illustration of the consumerism I decry. We all need some stuff. But the culture has convinced us that we need every damn thing that's ever been created or manufactured. And people have stopped even making an ethical choice about it. I can afford it, so I should buy it and own it. Who cares that there are so many that can't even afford to buy stuff to eat--- except shit.